Ground Control 3.0..re hitching and rear jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Control 3.0..re hitching and rear jacks

When going to hitch, I often need to raise the nose of the trailer. To do this I need to raise the rear jacks. There is no rear jack control external to the trailer so I have to stoop down and operate from the pass through on the touch panel. I find this kind of annoying. Is there a key press sequence to operate the rear jacks from the external control panel where you do all the other levelling operations?
    And yes, I know about the 'hitch height' button but it never actually does that if you have to touch ANY button since you unhitched. And I always do.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    When going to hitch, I often need to raise the nose of the trailer. To do this I need to raise the rear jacks. There is no rear jack control external to the trailer so I have to stoop down and operate from the pass through on the touch panel. I find this kind of annoying. Is there a key press sequence to operate the rear jacks from the external control panel where you do all the other levelling operations?
    And yes, I know about the 'hitch height' button but it never actually does that if you have to touch ANY button since you unhitched. And I always do.
    Thats strange you have issue with the hitch height. We use that all the time with no issue. It is supposed to return to the height it was at when you hit the auto level button. We usually unhitch, and run it a bit high so I know it will be high enough to reconnect, then hit auto level. When going to hitch up I hit auto reconnect and it retracts the rear and raises the front. Strange yours has issues.

Cannot help with the One Control options as I do not have that, I always have to bend into the compartment to hit my buttons lol.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I am not aware of any special button sequence for retracting the rear jacks with only the front jack keypad.

I do use the Lippert remote Replacement Touchscreen Remote w/ Charger for Lippert Ground Control 3.0 Electric Leveling System Lippert Accessories and Parts LC358601 (etrailer.com)

A little pricey but it has served me well for 4 years and I can adjust the pin box height while in the drivers seat when hooking up or unhooking the RV.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Thats strange you have issue with the hitch height. We use that all the time with no issue. It is supposed to return to the height it was at when you hit the auto level button.
        That is what I understand.......but......It's never returned to hitch height for me...ever.
        I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that if you press any button after auto-level, then hitch height won't work. Is that true?

Comment

That is true. When autolevel is started it remembers that position as hitch height. If you move any jack after auto level it sets hitch height again. I usually do auto level a couple times as the camper settles while in use.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

That is what I understand.......but......It's never returned to hitch height for me...ever.
            I read somewhere, maybe on this forum, that if you press any button after auto-level, then hitch height won't work. Is that true?
            Let me tag in my wife, she handles most of the hitching and unhitching, dsimmons

That said we frequently adjust it after unhitching but before we hit auto level, and it always returns to the point we hit auto-level. The only thing that has tripped it up is killing DC power after we are leveled (it forgets the hitch position) or if we tweak it after leveled it can screw it up. We do that sometimes if we are on a site for a bit and it settles. We find then it will error when we try to go to the hitch position.
            Last edited by ncitro; 05-26-2022, 01:07 PM.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro's description is correct as regards our process. I have no need to adjust anything after auto level is complete, if it was successful. If the auto level was not successful, I return to hitch height, make adjustments with blocks, and hit auto level again. Hitch height always works, unless as Neil says, we lost DC power for some reason, or if we needed to do a zero point calibration. Just curious: why would you do any manual leveling after auto level is done?

(And yes, as Neil said, we don't have OneControl, so I'm no help there. But I'm not aware of any special sequence of buttons for retracting rear jacks only.)

Comment

Originally posted by dsimmons View Post
                ncitroJust curious: why would you do any manual leveling after auto level is done?
                We have the strong-arms attached. They have T-bolts that you tighten once you are level. Then in the Lippert instructions, you bump the front jacks for a half second to take any slack out of the arms.

Comment

We have the strong-arms attached. They have T-bolts that you tighten once you are level. Then in the Lippert instructions, you bump the front jacks for a half second to take any slack out of the arms.

Oh I see! That's good to know. Yes, I'd imagine that would bork auto level...

To be honest, I cannot think of a solution to that problem, and that sounds like a notable pain in the rear.

Comment

ha ha...ya...it 'borks' the auto level.
                    I find it odd that lippert sells one product that kills off part of the functionality of one of their other products...oh well....
                    So I have an Auto level system that is half auto, half manual. I can live with it...but there should be rear jack buttons on the external pad just like for the front jacks...imo.

Comment

Hitch height should at a minimum retract the rear jacks. In the manual (don't remember the exact conditions) there are reasons the hitch height will not return, but it should auto retract the rear jacks.

If you have the one control app installed, you can access and control the jacks from the app without having to reach into the basement. I've done it several times. The app is a bit goofy although it does act almost just like the control panel in the basement.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Well, I just came up with a work around. When ready to hitch up, loosen the t-bolts and press auto-level. Let it do it's thing for a minute, then press hitch height. Rear jacks retract. I don't get hitch height but at least I don't have to go to manual mode to retract the rear jacks.

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy If you release the t-nuts first, does it keep the front jacks in tension, which is tripping the retract? Try bumping the front jacks up just a touch to see if it will release the tension on the front jacks and let the hitch height work (not pressing the auto level button will not affect the setting from before). I have successfully tweaked the camper to force the AC condensation to depart the roof on the street side and still had hitch height work. Even lifted the front and hitch height button worked.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            Scott'n'Wendy If you release the t-nuts first, does it keep the front jacks in tension, which is tripping the retract? Try bumping the front jacks up just a touch to see if it will release the tension on the front jacks and let the hitch height work (not pressing the auto level button will not affect the setting from before). I have successfully tweaked the camper to force the AC condensation to depart the roof on the street side and still had hitch height work. Even lifted the front and hitch height button worked.
                            Thanks for the feedback Joseph
                            The strong-arms themselves don't affect the auto-level, hitch height functions. It's me adjusting the nose height manually after tightening the t-bolts. At least that's what I thought until you said your hitch height works after adjusting the nose up. I've always bumped the nose down a tad. I will try bumping up and see if it makes a difference. Further testing required.
                            Prior to retirement I programmed a lot of different PLC controlled machines. Storing a value in a memory location for later retrieval should not be so finicky. Memory should be cleared at the press of 'retract all', not small adjustments. IMO.

Comment

Scott'n'Wendy you may be able to play with it in the driveway or storage location without hooking up the truck. From what I have read and remember, Hitch height sets memory location when the AutoLevel button is pressed. So in theory you should be able to AutoLevel, HitchHeight, then AutoLevel, and then HitchHeight and get the same pin height each time. If you choose to bump the pin up or down before the AutoLevel, it should remember that.
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X