RAM air suspension and 3.0 leveling system considerations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM air suspension and 3.0 leveling system considerations

I'm posting this as I've become aware of the implications to leveling my Reflection 337 fifth wheel with the Ram air suspension system. I saw a post from 2020 asking about others experience with no responses so am starting a new thread. I first noticed a "issue" when I was un-hitching the truck. I'd extend the front landing gear to attain the slight gap from the B&W companion hitch to pin box but occasionally had turned off the truck engine. When I restarted the engine and went to move forward to disconnect, there was a loud "clank" and slight vibration to the units. Thought I didn't have the correct gap set to the hitch.
    On a different occasion when I was parking the camper at our house and was leaving the unit hitched to the truck, I raised the front landing gear to take weight off of the truck suspension. I manually raised the front landing gear and lowered the rear jacks so that the unit was stable to move out a slide. I happened to restart the engine (for whatever reason) and heard a sound... and noticed the air suspension raising and the camper jacks shifting. This changed the gap between the hitch and pin box. My thought was that probably isn't good for the front or rear jacks. After reading the Ram owners manual, I found that I should lower the air suspension prior to doing anything with leveling the camper and disable the air suspension system by engaging the "tire jack mode". This is new to me. It may be common knowledge to others but for Ram owners with air suspension, it's something to account for when un-hitching and leveling if new to this set-up.

Mike
    2022 Ram 3500 and Reflection 337RLS
    Mike & Linda
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    Ram 3500 Diesel
    Denver, CO

There should be 2 modes. Bed Lowering and Alt Height. Bed Lowering is the lowest and there is an icon on your uconnect for that. You should be using that mode when hitching and unhitching. I don't know if the truck airs back up if it's starts. Are you saying it airs back up in normal mode, or when it's lowered? I know if you are in ALT Height mode, it requires 800 lbs tongue weight. If you remove some weight off the hitch when extending the front jacks, it will air back up to full height thinking there's no load in the back. I've had this happen to me before.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Comment

Working...
    X