Stabilizers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stabilizers

Do the between the tires stabilizers work to reduce rocking while parked? We just finished a 5679 mile trip with 30 nights on the road and even my diminutive wife sloshes the coffee.
    What type do you recommend? I have seen them for $30 each for plastic at Walmart to $100 plus at camping supply stores.

Bill & Annette
    Towing a 2020 2600RB Imagine with a F-150 5.0

I would swear by them. They work terrific with my trailer but I use the metal type.
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

We bought them but, after a while, I wasn’t sure if they actually did anything to stabilize the fifth-wheel. I didn’t use them for a few trips, up to a week long, then put them on again for the next trip. Both my wife and I noticed the difference. Now I use them if we are somewhere for more than a one-night stop over. The effort digging them out, putting them on and then taking them off and stowing them, for a one-nighter, is a trade-off. Any stop longer than one night and they are definitely worth it.
      Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
      Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
      2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
      Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
      Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

I have a set of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Do they help? Yes for fore and aft motion. They also help minimize some side to side motion.

Keeping the ground control stabilizers as short as possible helps significantly. On our first bumper pull unit, the scissor jacks did NOTHING for rocking. It had the wide spread axles, so X-chocks were out of the question, and I found the the scissor jacks were almost completely extended to reach the ground. So, I built a set of blocks (they are on their 3rd trailer with just the bottom layer needing repair after 8 years of use) and this seemed to help a lot. Little bit of experimenting and i found that the old style pyramid jacks with the screw the shortest possible helped the most (https://www.amazon.com/RVGUARD-Trail...e%2C211&sr=1-6). After 5 years with the bumper pull, we upgraded to a 5er and I started experimenting again. Thinking of adding the front jack stabilizers to see if they help as those are the most susceptible to length at this time (blocks under rear are less than 3" when retracted).
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Dunlapa&b View Post
          Do the between the tires stabilizers work to reduce rocking while parked? We just finished a 5679 mile trip with 30 nights on the road and even my diminutive wife sloshes the coffee.
          What type do you recommend? I have seen them for $30 each for plastic at Walmart to $100 plus at camping supply stores.

Bill & Annette
          Towing a 2020 2600RB Imagine with a F-150 5.0
          I would say they reduce it. Plus it makes me feel better that the wheels are locked.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

They work for us to provide additional stabilization. However they should not be used in place of wheel chocks but rather in conjunction with them.

Jim

Comment

I picked up a set of these, well similar to these, Amazon.com: WEIZE Slide Out Support Jacks - 20.5'' to 38.5'' Slide Out Stabilizers for RV, Camper and Travel Trailer, Supports Up to 4,700 lbs, 2 Pcs : Automotive and place them under the rear hitch on our RV and they make quite a difference in the movement of the RV, please do not use them on the slide out they can cause damage. I have not used the x-chocks but have wondered about them, I am willing to try but not to buy them. I would caution about putting them too tight as I would think they may cause damage to the axle spindle if one got a little over zealous when tightening.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
                I would caution about putting them too tight as I would think they may cause damage to the axle spindle if one got a little over zealous when tightening.

Brian
                I heard that concern expressed at the rally last year, by someone from GD. On the next drive, I was thinking about it and, there is a lot more stress placed on the spindle from the downward weight of the unit than I could ever exert with an X-Chock. I’ve tended to disregard that as a concern as I’d estimate, on my unit, that each tire position is carrying about 2,500 pounds of downward force, and probably quite a bit more when you hit a dip or bridge connection/pothole. Splitting the force of the X-Chocks between two spindles on each side, I think that I’d seriously have to over-tighten the X-Chocks to get 5,000 pounds of pressure onto the spindles.

Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

We used X-Chocks on our previous trailer, and they help. Our trailer had the wide spread between axles. Some trailers have axles closer together so that the tires are very close together. X-Chocks are available for either the narrow or wide axle spacing. We no longer use them with our current Solitude with the leveling jacks, but put spacers under them to shorten the jack extension length, and also use a heavy duty tripod support under the 5th wheel which helps reduce movement of the front bedroom. Of course we also have standard chocks at the wheels “just in case”, even though our site is fairly level, but rapidly falls away in the back about 18”.
                  Doug & Barb
                  2020 Solitude 377MBS-R
                  2013 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew SB, 2WD, 3.5 EB, Stock Suspension & Michelin Tires
                  No, we don’t pull the Solitude, it’s permanently parked on our campsite in SW Fla.
                  Previous: Keystone Premier 31BHPR w/Equalizer 1200 WD Hitch

Comment

Working...
                  X