Furrion 12v Fridge Side by Side - 337RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion 12v Fridge Side by Side - 337RLS

We are currently camped until March, hooked up to 50A power.
    our rig has only been used for about 12 days total since new (Aug 2022). Due to some really bad smells had to have a tech out to check and turns out it was battery boiling because we are on shore power and it’s not a smart converter so continues to charge all the time. He suggested we turn off battery switch while connected to power, or pay a few hundred dollars to convert to smart converter. We decided to try the switch idea.
    But, since doing that, after a few hours the fridge has started playing up. It is still getting power and working but every few seconds the panel lights come on and it chimes. Tried turning on and off, reprogramming etc, but nothing seems to stop it.
    Does the fridge need to have the battery connected all the time? If so, why didn’t GD install units with smart converters, knowing that a rig this size is likely to be used hooked up for decent periods?
    Because it’s still cooling well and everything works, not really sure why it would be a voltage issues but these days with “smart” technology- who knows. Just want to get rid of the annoying chiming!

You should not disconnect the battery while on shore power. The 12 v dc system needs the battery to operate properly. The converter/charger should not boil the battery in a short time, you may have a faulty converter/charger. This is the first time that I have heard of an owner having this issue although the battery does require maintenance by the owner. You may need to do a little more checking to see what the issue is.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I did not think they made a "smart" converter any longer. All of the converter / chargers have some form of charge profile where they lower the amperage as the battery reaches full charge.

I agree with Brian, most likely a bad converter and battery combination.

What year is your 337?
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Mgimson -- I agree with Brian. The symptom is the smell from the battery boiling. The actual problem is likely a malfunctioning converter.

Longer explanation: The converter in your 337RLS uses 120vAC ("shore power") to charge the battery and also power the 12vDC components in your trailer. The converter should lower it's output as the battery gets to full charge--sounds like the converter in your trailer is not doing what it is supposed to do (in technical terms the converter should cycle between Bulk, Absorption and Float modes). A competent individual can easily check the operation of the converter with a multimeter.

I also agree that the battery should be left on at all times. The battery serves as a "shock absorber" when the converter can't react fast enough to short term power surges--like when the compressor in the refrigerator starts up.

Bottom line (echoing Brian again): suggest readdressing the issue (but consider a different "tech").

The first link is the converter from GD's parts lookup website: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owner-...ts/detail/2502 The second is the OEM's website (WFCO): https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/...erter-charger/

Also, welcome to the forum! Please take a moment to read the Letter to New Members if you'd like to learn more about this forum: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

P.S. You beat me to it, Joseph! Jlawles2
        Last edited by howson; 12-03-2022, 09:51 AM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Mgimson I'll echo everyone here. I believe your fridge is wired on the other side of the switch. What's probably happening is with the switch off the converter is disconnected from the battery so it won't charge or cook it, but the fridge (as well as other loads like the levelers etc) are still on the battery. As time goes on those are discharging the battery until it does not have enough charge too run them properly.

Agree you need the battery in the circuit and need to get your converter checked out.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
          X