Peplink and Parsec Antenna Installation - 303RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peplink and Parsec Antenna Installation - 303RLS

Moderator Note: The first three posts were originally in the https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...lectrical-mods thread. They were moved here to their own thread with the OP's concurrence. -Howard

Update on my wifi install. Perhaps the wrong sub-forum since it's technology and not really electrical... but it runs on electricity and this is my mod thread so here we go.

Back in September I purchased and installed the Peplink MAX Transit Pro for my rig, along with the Parsec Husky 7-wire antenna. I originally wanted to setup a tech cabinet where I could centralize my consumer electronics/gadgets but logistics had me do something slightly different. The restrictions were that I wanted the shortest run from the Peplink to the Parsec so that I wouldn't lose anything in the wire run via signal degradation or ​interference. This meant I needed to plan out a rooftop mount for the antenna that allowed access for the wires to come through the roof/ceiling and into a cabinet. I also wanted a centrally placed mount to allow for equal signal strength in the rear living as the front bedroom as my wife and I both work from the rig and sometimes one is in each room to allow for phone calls to not disturb each other. This basically meant my option was the upper hutch cabinets in the kitchen/entryway (circled below in red).

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220508_075608.jpg Views:	41 Size:	128.2 KB ID:	101576
    ​This location seemed perfect as I knew there was a wire chase in that wall between the kitchen and bathroom. I could mount the antenna to the roof just behind the bathroom skylight/vent and with the shroud removed from that vent I could gain access to the interior of the ceiling structure so I could use the locking bolt to secure the antenna and to allow for routing the wires further into the rig. I measured where the antenna would be mounted and double checked myself about 17 times. Once I was as confident as I could be before cutting and drilling a hole into my own roof, I went for it. I scored the roof membrane with a sharp utility knife and cut an "X" which allowed me to peel the rubber back and drill directly into the wood. After the hole was drilled into the roof I folded the rubber back down into the hole along with the wires and eventually the post that the antenna comes with. I then reached into the ceiling from inside the bathroom and tightened the locking nut onto the post from the inside (this was very difficult with how narrow that roof is, but we got it done). The antenna comes with a strong adhesive and I was told I didn't even need the locking nut, that the adhesive alone would hold it but why take the chance if I was able to secure it both ways. I was also told the adhesive is waterproof and there was no need for self leveling sealant around the antenna but I added a bead around it anyway (after the pics below) because once again, why not be safe for a few bucks instead of having water inside the roof.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220910_160846.jpg Views:	32 Size:	119.5 KB ID:	101577

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220910_170633.jpg Views:	32 Size:	81.2 KB ID:	101579

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220910_171348.jpg Views:	32 Size:	81.1 KB ID:	101578

My plans kinda changed partway through this however, because I found out GD did not leave the top of that wall open to allow easy additional runs of wire from within the ceiling to the inside of that wall. That's a good thing structurally but it makes this modification a little more difficult. With no easy way to drill up/down into that 2x4 blocking the top of that wall, I could not get any wires through. So instead I decided to drill 2 small holes into the cabinet above the toilet in my bathroom. This allowed my to have the wires run down out of the ceiling, into the cabinet, then sideways into the open wall where the chase is, and I would only see this small portion of wires in a storage cabinet, not too bad.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220910_202758.jpg Views:	31 Size:	126.9 KB ID:	101580
    Last edited by howson; 12-21-2022, 07:18 AM.
    David and Deana
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

(continued due to attachment-per-post limit)

Now I had my antenna wires into the chase-wall where I wanted them and I could easily get them into my newly claimed tech cabinet. However, I also realized that this is something I should not have to access too often so it doesn't NEED to be an easily accessible. I also didn't really want to give up the storage space of that hutch because although we have a lot of storage space in the 303, we don't want to give up any that we don't have to. Finally I wanted better airflow to my gadgets so I wouldn't have to worry about overheating; admittedly probably not even a concern but if I have the ability for a more ideal location, why not? So instead of using the cabinet, I decided to drill another hole in my walls and pull the wires out into the kitchen space, directly on top of that hutch. Although this is a much less ideal spot for accessibility, it keeps the unsightly electronics out of sight (for the DW) and gives them better airflow, while making use of otherwise unused space. Here is a pic of the router and a coil of wire on top of that hutch. I zip tied the wires and just kinda tucked them up there in a bit of a mess and I command-stripped the router onto the cabinet to prevent it from moving. I will probably clean this up a bit once I add a couple more things I have in mind, but for now it's totally out of sight so it'll stay for a bit. I've had to go up there a couple times to pop a sim card but I can access it with a step stool that I carry around anyway so I'll take that inconvenience for the previously mentioned benefits.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220910_201902.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.5 KB ID:	101582

As far as our ISP setup, I have a Verizon and AT&T sim in the Peplink. The Verizon plan is a tablet sim as part of our normal mobile plan and the antenna helps tremendously. We've already been in a situation where our phones barely got signal but connected via wifi (using the same Verizon plan, mind you) we had strong signal. The AT&T plan is a standalone tablet plan and is a nice complimentary setup. The Max Transit does not have 5G modems so it's not the fastest connection out there but for what we need it's more than enough and I was prioritizing having more than 1 modem over having a single 5G, which were the options when I purchased. We have only not had connectivity when in places you shouldn't expect a connection anyway, so overall we are extremely happy with the internet setup that we have.​
    David and Deana
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
    2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

WondersAwait Nice setup and install. Agreed that they do not give a lot of options for working in the tight locations where walls meet the ceiling. Luckily I have not had to go through this yet.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
      X