Working on a few technical projects, could use some feedback and ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on a few technical projects, could use some feedback and ideas

Hi all, I am working on a few projects for our RV's, and could use some feedback.

I have been running an open-source platform called Home Assistant, and wrote an integration that allows it to interface with the Lippert OneControl system via the Lippert Cloud Gateway. I am moving to a rig that has less features in the OneControl platform, so I have been working on little projects that I want to leverage to get some useful features available, either with Home Assistant or compeltely stand-alone

So, what are the kinds of things that folks are wishing they had?

At the moment, I am working on a few projects:
    1) a Propane monitor that will get info from the Mopeka or Lippert propane sensors, and put that info onto a small LCD screen. If you are using Home Assistant, it will be available in that platform as well, if you want it to be. Current status: Code is 99% complete, 3d printed enclosure is complete. Just need testers. (https://github.com/rperciaccante/MopekaLCDDisplay)
    2) A water control system that has a valve to kill the water to the camper using a food-safe valve, as well as give you water flow rate and water used. It has a sensor so that it can also kill the water if it detects a leak. This system will work if stand-alone, or can be expanded by bringing it into Home Assistant. Current status: Code is 80% complete, printed circuit board is pending completion of code, case to be designed once board design is complete.
    3) I am working on a relay board that will allow you to control up to 8 different power feeds (120 or 12v) from inside the RV without the need for OneControl or Home Assistant (again, it can be added to Home Assistant if you are using it) Current Status: Code is complete, being tested currently with holiday lights at home (controlling 8 different 120v outlets for different lawn decorations, etc).

I love a good project, and I love something that is useful to others other than me. I have no intentions of making these into commercial projects, unless there is interest and I can do it without making myself crazy. But the winter time is when I work on my tech projects, and its that time of year

I am getting a new rig next week, and i will be looking at other opportunities for automation/control. I always believe in technology as a supporting tool, not a replacement tool, so i typically have manual overrides (my son has Down Syndrome, so i always make things that he can use without any technical know-how).

For those who may be interested in helping out: All the code is ESPHome (so configuration is in YAML), the controllers are all ESP8266 or ESP32 based boards, so they are cheap and easy to get ahold of. If you are interested in helping out, we can collaborate through Github.

Comments welcome!

Bob
    ==============
    Grand Design RV National Owners’ Rally: http://www.gdrvnationalrally.com
    Grand Design RV Mid-Atlantic Owners’ Rally: http://www.gdmarally.com
    Current GDRV: 2023 Solitude 391-DLR, Midnight FBP
    Previous GDRV's: 2016 Solitude 375RE, 2021 Momentum 397TH-R
    No tow vehicle!

bob I'm not a smart dude like yourself, but really like what you're doing here.

A couple thoughts: I'm not real familiar with OnControl or Home Assistant. But I'm assuming it's an all-in-one control panel for the RV systems. I like it.

Saying that, I really like the idea of adding using Mopeka/Lippert propane sensors to feed info to a main panel. I don't like having to have multiple separate panels for each sensor. I'm on board with this.

A water control system is also an excellent idea...particularly to measure water usage real time and as an emergency shut-off.

Also a fan of a separate relay board to add programmable relays to your all-in-one system. With my Cerbo GX I have access to just 2 programmable relays, but really want a couple more.

It would be nice to have the ability to integrate multiple platforms into one system where it can be monitored and controlled by one panel display....kinda like how Victron is compatible with Garmin, Raymarine, Furuno, etc.

I can see installing Victron components to a central control panel (via a cat 5 able to a cerbo GX?? like Garmin), or Renogy, or Growatt, or......

Even better would be to have the connections wireless....basically use bluetooth so you don't have to destroy the RV running wire. Then have a companion app on the cell phone that has the same features as the main control panel (communicated via bluetooth so you don't need cell service or internet access). You can be driving down the road and check on the trailer systems as its being pulled.

Don't know if this helps or if I can be any help, but I like it and am willing to offer my amateur skills if needed.
    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post
      bob I'm not a smart dude like yourself, but really like what you're doing here.

A couple thoughts: I'm not real familiar with OnControl or Home Assistant. But I'm assuming it's an all-in-one control panel for the RV systems. I like it.

Saying that, I really like the idea of adding using Mopeka/Lippert propane sensors to feed info to a main panel. I don't like having to have multiple separate panels for each sensor. I'm on board with this.

A water control system is also an excellent idea...particularly to measure water usage real time and as an emergency shut-off.

Also a fan of a separate relay board to add programmable relays to your all-in-one system. With my Cerbo GX I have access to just 2 programmable relays, but really want a couple more.

It would be nice to have the ability to integrate multiple platforms into one system where it can be monitored and controlled by one panel display....kinda like how Victron is compatible with Garmin, Raymarine, Furuno, etc.

I can see installing Victron components to a central control panel (via a cat 5 able to a cerbo GX?? like Garmin), or Renogy, or Growatt, or......

Even better would be to have the connections wireless....basically use bluetooth so you don't have to destroy the RV running wire. Then have a companion app on the cell phone that has the same features as the main control panel (communicated via bluetooth so you don't need cell service or internet access). You can be driving down the road and check on the trailer systems as its being pulled.

Don't know if this helps or if I can be any help, but I like it and am willing to offer my amateur skills if needed.
      acoleman43 I already have a "unified" interface, and it is called Home Assistant. I wrote an integration for it to connect to the OneControl system and bring all the info into a dashboard that is customizable, and requires no app (just a web browser). the particular integration I wrote was connecting to OneControl through their cloud controller (I connected on the inside of the network, you don't need to have their service, just the hardware). I did this on my Momentum 397TH with the X4 board - and the results are awesome.

That said, I am trading in the Mo and I am getting a Solitude with less integrated into the OneControl platform. I am working to "smarten" up some of the components, while adding others. I personally hate the OneControl Touch Panel, so I will replace that with my panel. Since the components are not integrated naturally, the projects above integrate those into my panel, so they all work together.
      ==============
      No tow vehicle!

Comment

bob With the water integration, you may want to put in a relay that will kill power to the HWH.

Would like to see some screen shots of your integration software. The OneControl app is OK, but it could be better.

Any thoughts to add TPMS?
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
          The OneControl app is OK, but it could be better.
          There's an understatement...

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Whatever is done for system controls needs to have failsafe failure mode to allow manual operation of systems. System monitoring is useful with sufficient description of what is being monitored. I guess I'm saying don't be too geeky?
            Ted
            2021 Reflection 310RLS
            2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by bob View Post

acoleman43 I already have a "unified" interface, and it is called Home Assistant. I wrote an integration for it to connect to the OneControl system and bring all the info into a dashboard that is customizable, and requires no app (just a web browser). the particular integration I wrote was connecting to OneControl through their cloud controller (I connected on the inside of the network, you don't need to have their service, just the hardware). I did this on my Momentum 397TH with the X4 board - and the results are awesome.

That said, I am trading in the Mo and I am getting a Solitude with less integrated into the OneControl platform. I am working to "smarten" up some of the components, while adding others. I personally hate the OneControl Touch Panel, so I will replace that with my panel. Since the components are not integrated naturally, the projects above integrate those into my panel, so they all work together.
              That is awesome. Can Home Assistant interface with Garmin MFD? Would the relay board be a separate component? Any way to connect components via Bluetooth instead of wired connection?
              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I second the integration of multiple platforms! I have one for solar, one control, my dehumidifier and then my weather station. I have no clue how or if they could all work together but would definitely be interested in buying something that would allow for one app and all the functions.
                Scott & Mikaela
                2022 375 RES
                2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Well, I am not working on a commercial project - there are way WAY too many things that people would want integrated and I am one person - I don't have all the parts to even test how they would work together. Now, that said, once I get things up and running, I will be more than willing to share what I am able to develop. If there is a GOTTA HAVE application, then I would need some of the gear to develop with....
                  ==============
                  No tow vehicle!

Comment

bob did you say you are getting a new Solitude? If so I’ll be interested in hearing what it is you are able to do with it compared to what you did to your old unit. My understanding is the One Control in the Momentum is much more robust. I would love to learn about how the automation is done but it is all like a foreign language to me!!
                    Scott & Mikaela
                    2022 375 RES
                    2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by Sandridge4 View Post
                      bob did you say you are getting a new Solitude? If so I’ll be interested in hearing what it is you are able to do with it compared to what you did to your old unit. My understanding is the One Control in the Momentum is much more robust. I would love to learn about how the automation is done but it is all like a foreign language to me!!
                      I did just get a new Solitude, picked it up on Tuesday!

I am deciding what I want to do next - on one hand I have a control board from a Momentum, so I could use that, or I can smarten up the one that it comes with. Regardless, I am sure I will not be leaving stock for long
                      Attached Files
                      ==============
                      No tow vehicle!

Comment

I am deciding what I want to do next - on one hand I have a control board from a Momentum, so I could use that, or I can smarten up the one that it comes with. Regardless, I am sure I will not be leaving stock for long
                        Looks awesome!! Can’t wait to hear what you do!
                        Scott & Mikaela
                        2022 375 RES
                        2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

I just recently purchased a Solitude 310Gk, but it has the X1.5 board in it. It doesn't seem to have a wireless gateway and only 4 light circuits are controlled in the app. I want to integrate what I can into a smart home solution (probably going to try hubitat). Does your solution require the OneControl WifiGateway Hub or does it need a Cloud Gateway as well?

Comment

Originally posted by pblosser03 View Post

I just recently purchased a Solitude 310Gk, but it has the X1.5 board in it. It doesn't seem to have a wireless gateway and only 4 light circuits are controlled in the app. I want to integrate what I can into a smart home solution (probably going to try hubitat). Does your solution require the OneControl WifiGateway Hub or does it need a Cloud Gateway as well?
                            My new Solitude also has the 1.5 board, and I am very underwhelmed. I have decided to basically route around the OneControl system, and leave that solely for leveling (I use the switches to manually operate the slides, and swithes to operate the awnings manually as well) and use Home Assistant to really control the RV. I access it remotely through a Pepwave cellular gateway, and a Cloudflare tunnel...

Here is what I have done so far:
                            • Added Shelly 1 remote controls to nearly all switches
                            • Added remote switch pads around the RV to make it easier to control lights, etc.
                            • added water sensors to all the sinks, toilets, storage areas, washer/dryer closet and water panel
                            • added door sensors to all doors including the fridge doors
                            • added motion sensors to all rooms
                            • added temp/humidity sensors to nearly all rooms and compartments plus the fridge and freezer
                            • set up security alarm
                            • replaced all smoke detectors with smart detectors, and added smoke detectors to passthrough and front storage compartments
                            Here is the list for the next few weeks:
                            • Install electronic dump valves
                            • install water flow and shutoff valves
                            • Configure the system to shut off the water if it detects a leak anywhere
                            Longer term goal
                            • Tank levels
                            • making sure that the tank isn't full when running the washing machine or taking a shower
                            ==============
                            No tow vehicle!

Comment

Hmm, bummer on the 1.5 seems like they went backwards in functionality.

What brand switches and sensors are you using? Looking to pick up some water sensors and door sensors. The Shelly remotes look pretty awesome, I'll probably put those on my light switches.

For tank levels, I did notice that Mopeka has water tank sensors as well now. Seems like Home Assistant and even the Victron Cerbo GX can read from them.

Peter
                              ----
                              2022 Solitude 310GK-R
                              2020 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Working...
                              X