Simple WIFI Hot Spot for computer usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Brumbaugh View Post
    I am new to this conversation so please bear with me. We live up in a cold climate, so only camp May-Oct. I have been investigating purchasing a portable wifi hotspot. Two that I am interested in are Travlfi Journey1 Lite, and Solis Lite Wifi. Each has good and bad points. I don't anticipate using much wifi, just to check emails, pay some bills etc. No streaming. The Travlfi system sounds good as it will use the best tower available from 3 different major carriers. Data plans are decent price. Purchase on monthly basis, no rollover of unused minutes. Solis Lite allows you to roll over any unused minutes, but the best I can tell has only ATT as a partner. They advertise "multi-carrier access". Can anyone advise what carriers they use for the system?
    Thanks,
    JohnB
    John,

You might want to post a state or province, this will help others help you.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

We live in MN but only use our camper from May - Oct . Probably will only travel in US and/or Canada during warm weather period [May- Oct] so as not have to deal with winter snow and freeze weather. Does anyone have any experience with the Travlfi Journey1 Lite and Solis Lite Hotspot wifi systems? And, who are the carriers that the Solis Lite system uses?
      Thanks,
      johnb

Comment

This is a updated version of what we use, which is a Winegard Connect 2.
        https://winegard.com/connect-2-4g2/

This may be the simplest complete solution. You mount this on the top of your RV. It can boost the signal from a weak campground Wifi system OR or connect to its own cellular data plan.

You can sign up for a plan from Winegard, (or Verizon, AT&T or another cellular carrier). Winegard includes a Simcard for their plan with the device. I use the Winegard plan because:
        1. there is no long term contract (the cellular data can be turned on for as short as a month, or off for months);
        2. and it simplifies solving technical problems, as you only have to deal with one company, Winegard, to solve hardware, software and cellular data problems. If something goes wrong, there is no blaming the other guy!

It's a simple installation, screw it to the top of the trailer with the supplied bolts, seal the mounting bolts, then run the 12 volt wiring to a 12 volt source (such as a vent van), then mount the switch on the ceiling. Setting up the Winegard plan requires a couple of hours. You will need to purchase the plan, run the update software, and maybe talk to a customer service representative if anything goes wrong. My system was up and running in a day. Most importantly, call Grand Design before you start to confirm a mounting spot is near a power source and that you are not drilling into anything bad. Set aside a few hours to go thru the entire setup process after the physical installation is done. All in all I spent about 8 hours from calling GD to reading e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by Dadeo6472 View Post
          This is a updated version of what we use, which is a Winegard Connect 2.
          https://winegard.com/connect-2-4g2/

This may be the simplest complete solution. You mount this on the top of your RV. It can boost the signal from a weak campground Wifi system OR or connect to its own cellular data plan.

You can sign up for a plan from Winegard, (or Verizon, AT&T or another cellular carrier). Winegard includes a Simcard for their plan with the device. I use the Winegard plan because:
          1. there is no long term contract (the cellular data can be turned on for as short as a month, or off for months);
          2. and it simplifies solving technical problems, as you only have to deal with one company, Winegard, to solve hardware, software and cellular data problems. If something goes wrong, there is no blaming the other guy!

It's a simple installation, screw it to the top of the trailer with the supplied bolts, seal the mounting bolts, then run the 12 volt wiring to a 12 volt source (such as a vent van), then mount the switch on the ceiling. Setting up the Winegard plan requires a couple of hours. You will need to purchase the plan, run the update software, and maybe talk to a customer service representative if anything goes wrong. My system was up and running in a day. Most importantly, call Grand Design before you start to confirm a mounting spot is near a power source and that you are not drilling into anything bad. Set aside a few hours to go thru the entire setup process after the physical installation is done. All in all I spent about 8 hours from calling GD to reading e-mail.
          Good information - do you know what carrier, or carriers Winegard uses? Also with the sim car slot being in the roof module, have there been issues replacing or it staying water proof.

Thanks Keith
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda The complaints I have heard about the Winegard when I do the seminar at the national rally is the plans are expensive (I think this is more of an issue for full time users looking for more data), and access to change the SIM cards. I have not heard about any leaks, but I think it is more meant for a situation where you set it up and leave the SIM in all the time. The nice thing about the Peplink gear is it is carrier agnostic, so you can choose any plan and any carrier you want, and the modem is inside so easier to access. That comes with more cost and having to run cables obviously.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Take a look at Solis 4G Lite portable wifi Hotspot. Connects with multiple carriers, lets you purchase GB data that never expires as on some systems the GB expires in 30 days, so use it or lose it. Good in 130+ countries. It connects with the closest cell tower and has multiple cell carriers it works with. Has 16 hr battery, it is about the size of a hockey puck so it will fit in your pocket and go anywhere. Cost is about $139.00. I don't use much internet, just for getting emails, pay bills etc so I think this is a great option.
              john b
              Last edited by John Brumbaugh; 02-05-2023, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X