Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker / Stereo system upgrade 17MKE

Hi all,
    New to the forum and to RVing. Bought our 2022 GD 17MKE a few months ago and have only taken a couple trips so far.
    One of the parts of the TT that has been disappointing is the stereo system. It has the Furrion DV7200S head unit, two iRV 3-WS speakers (6.5", I believe) in the ceiling and two external speakers, which appear to be the RecPro RP-1092-2 5.25" surface mount, on the outside of the trailer. The sound quality inside is OK, but outside is not good and the Bluetooth range on the Furrion head unit is awful. I am looking to replace the whole system and wondered if anyone else has done this and what you used. I have limited space to mount the head unit in the cabinet where it is currently mounted, so many of the "RV Stereo Systems" are just too big. The mounting hole for the current setup is only about 3.25" square.

I have done a fair amount of research, and am leaning towards replacing the Furrion DV7200S with a marine stereo designed for boats. They are small and have enough power to drive some decent speakers without adding an amp. The only drawback is that most are not dual zone, but they support 4 speakers so I would use the fader function to control volume between the inside and outside of the TT.

Replacing the inside speakers should be pretty easy, but I am looking for some input on the outside speakers. I have not taken these off yet, because they have some sealer around the speaker where it connects to the side of the trailer. I believe they are the RecPro RP-1092-2 speakers (shown below), but that is based only on finding a similar looking speaker on the web. Has anyone had these off or replaced them with another speaker? I am guessing the speaker inside is a custom size, so the whole unit will need to be replaced, but if I can replace just the speaker, that would be ideal.
    Any input is appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Al
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Black-Speaker-3-4__26553.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	102076

AlandD I went down this road, even ran a full Denon AVR for a while, but eventually just decided on home pods around the rig for sound. They allow me to stream to them from my phone's, or can play directly off my wifi network without using my phone. Plus I can place them where we are seating and I do not need to run the speakers on the rig so loud if we are not sitting right in front of them. I also have a battery Bluetooth speaker I use sometimes, but the home pods are usually my go to because I can play to all of them at the same time inside and out.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

AlandD -- for the outside speakers (that I never use on my 315RLTS) it's on my "To Do" list to copy what another forum member did--replace the speakers with outside lighting. (I know you didn't ask for alternatives but thought you might find it interesting.) See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...erior-lighting

I also use a bluetooth speaker (JBL Charge 4) when outside since I can place it exactly where I want and keep the volume low enough to avoid having annoyed neighbors.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! The exterior lighting might be a good solution. I have been using a Bluetooth speaker outside, since I can place it close to where we are sitting and the sound is better than those awful exterior speakers.

Comment

We have an older version of this Bose portable speaker. The sound is amazing where the small external speakers on our rigs cannot compare.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ultimat...ductVariations

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
            We have an older version of this Bose portable speaker. The sound is amazing where the small external speakers on our rigs cannot compare.

[url]https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ultimate-ears-hyperboom-portable-bluetooth-waterproof-speaker-with-big-bass-black/6398427.p?skuId=6398427#anchor=productVariations[/urlJim
            I went on a mission a few years back to find a quality sounding portable speaker that did not sound like a box clock radio or the factory built in GD Rockford Fosgate ear bleeding system 🤣 I can honestly say my new GD 310 GK has only had the factory stereo turned on "once"......painful.

This portable speaker is not fancy as far as loaded with features, 20 hour battery life is important. Sound quality is very pleasing.

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/ca/en/kilburn-ii.html
            2022 Solitude 310 GK, Solar Package, Awnings, Outdoor Kitchen, Dual AC & Heat Pump
            2014 GMC 3500HD Long Box
            2ea 200ah lithium BT heated

Comment

Originally posted by Dale B View Post

I went on a mission a few years back to find a quality sounding portable speaker that did not sound like a box clock radio or the factory built in GD Rockford Fosgate ear bleeding system 🤣 I can honestly say my new GD 310 GK has only had the factory stereo turned on "once"......painful.

This portable speaker is not fancy as far as loaded with features, 20 hour battery life is important. Sound quality is very pleasing.

https://www.marshallheadphones.com/c...ilburn-ii.html
              Dale,

Looks nice. At that price point I would expect the sound to be great for a portable system. Our system is quiet by choice yet the sound (especially the bass) is high quality and probably in line with the Marshall. Ever experience campers that blast their music throughout a campground? Seems if the system is junk its best to play it louder. LOL
              These portable high quality units deliver great sound to be heard within a single site which makes them appealing while being respectful to others.

We sometimes use the system in our Imagine as a clock.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X