Hot Water heater busted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Water heater busted

Walked around to the water bay and noticed water leaking under camper. Took the wall down to look at the plumbing and water was spraying out of the side of the water heater. It has even blown a piece of the styrofoam off. Has anyone had this happen before? 2021 Solitude 375-Res
    Todd and Shanna Dupree
    2021 375RES-R
    2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax
    B&W Companion Hitch

Originally posted by Dupree View Post
    Walked around to the water bay and noticed water leaking under camper. Took the wall down to look at the plumbing and water was spraying out of the side of the water heater. It has even blown a piece of the styrofoam off. Has anyone had this happen before? 2021 Solitude 375-Res
    What make/model of water heater? (Lots of leaks related to water heaters...but can't recall one as severe as what you described.)
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

The seam of the weld had cracked. We just shut the water off and will contact Grand Design tomorrow.
      Todd and Shanna Dupree
      2021 375RES-R
      2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax
      B&W Companion Hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Dupree View Post
        The seam of the weld had cracked. We just shut the water off and will contact Grand Design tomorrow.
        I'm going to guess it's a Furrion Tankless...v1.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I'm going to guess it's a Furrion Tankless...v1.
          There's no tank associated with that one.
          USN Engineer Retired
          2020 RAM 2500 CC 6.7 Cummins
          2022 GD Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

There is a small mixing tank in an on-demand water heater. I have seen these thin-wall tanks split . . . I do not recall anyone reporting a split tank in the heavier wall tank type water heaters. Waiting for the OP to post a picture . . .

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I believe the OP stated that "foam" came off the back side of the water heater. Tankless water heaters do not have foam insulation on the back side, standard tank water heaters have foam on the back side.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Since the OP has not provided more information all we can do is speculate. If you're right, Brian, the only scenario I can think of is the (Suburban) water heater was full, off, and froze which would then potentially crack the case. That would be a new failure mode (for me).

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                  Since the OP has not provided more information all we can do is speculate. If you're right, Brian, the only scenario I can think of is the (Suburban) water heater was full, off, and froze which would then potentially crack the case. That would be a new failure mode (for me).
                  Another possibility is over-pressure with the pressure relief valve failing to open.

Jim
                  Jim and Ginnie
                  2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                  GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                  GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Another possibility is over-pressure with the pressure relief valve failing to open.

Jim
                    That would be an ugly scenario! To get to that pressure I assume there'd have to be three simultaneous failures with the heater on: thermostat not opening at 140 degrees, ECO fails to open at 170, and then the P&T valve doesn't open when it is supposed to resulting in a split tank? I'd expect the incoming or outgoing water line to get split, first, since the water lines would "feel" that pressure, too. Especially if it's a soft hose connection.

OK, who knows what pressure it would take to split a Suburban tank? ( TedS? Jlawles2?)

Comment

howson My guess is there are other components in the system that would fail first. Think of all of the pex and flex connections.

As for rupture, Howard look to see if there are any tags on your HWH. Typically pressure vessels have some form of tag that gives MIN rupture strength.

I'd be more inclined to think it's a MFG defect with it being in long seam of the tank. This rupture could be created by a number of things inclusive of freezing water in the tank (residual). Even if the OP were to have a situation with tank sediment or other type of build up, the tank should not have had enough time for corrosion, cavitation (boiling water expansion bubble with collapse), or other type of errosioniary effects to have compromised the tank. Hopefully the OP can post pictures of the failure for us to make wild outlandish speculations.
                      Joseph
                      Tow
                      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Sorry… we travelled home today. It is a 12 gallon suburban. Contacted the dealer and are hoping to get in and get it fixed soon. Thank you all for your replies
                        Todd and Shanna Dupree
                        2021 375RES-R
                        2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax
                        B&W Companion Hitch

Comment

Just got caught up on all the posts. The weather was cold but we used the water heater all day long yesterday (3 or four showers), washed dishes etc. Didn’t notice water leaking out until around 6pm last night, so it was functional all day. I’m just glad I noticed it right away because it was pouring out of it. So, with it functioning properly all day I don’t think it froze. Also hard to believe the thermostat and pressure valve would both fail at the same time and cause it to burst. Our buddy who was camping with us said that is was probably because someone welded it on a Monday or Friday lol.. I added a video and a picture. Maybe they will show up
                          Attached Files
                          Todd and Shanna Dupree
                          2021 375RES-R
                          2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax
                          B&W Companion Hitch

Comment

Here is the model #
                            Attached Files
                            Todd and Shanna Dupree
                            2021 375RES-R
                            2005 Chevy 3500 Duramax
                            B&W Companion Hitch

Comment

Well that tag states it was tested to 300 psi and working pressure (should be at temp with no reductions due to temp) is 150 psi. The picture appears to show the long seam is cracked at the edge of the heat affected zone (most common place for weld failure).
                              Joseph
                              Tow
                              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                              X