Norcold Refrigerator Operation Selector Button non-responsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold Refrigerator Operation Selector Button non-responsive

Hello there. I have a three-way Norcold refrigerator in my 2023 GD Solitude 391-DL that has a slight problem maybe someone could give me some advice on. On the front of the unit, between the upper and lower doors is a small control/indicator panel. One of the buttons to switch between operation modes (i.e. propane, 12V DC, or 120V AC) is stuck in one mode, and the button is non-responsive. The other button has some slight resistance and a light click when pushing it, but the non-responsive button has no mechanical resistance and does not 'click' when pressed.

What should I do? Call the RV dealer? Call Norcold? Can I fix it myself? I'm new to RVs in general, but mechanically inclined. I can't take the thing back to the dealer for an extended stay while they look it over. Any constructive advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Additional info. I went on Norcold's website and found the part I need, 637081 KIT OPTICAL CONTROL, and then found a pretty good price on it on Amazon. Amazon.com: Norcold 637081 Optical Control Kit for 2118 PolarMax RV Refrigerators : Automotive

I'll call the dealer I bought the RV from tomorrow, maybe they will send me one, and I can replace it myself.

Comment

I have a Norcold propane/120 volt AC 4-door fridge in my 2021 Reflection. The temperature selector button shown in the attached picture stopped working. I swapped it out myself, even though I was under warranty. My part number was Norcold 629113 Optical Control Assembly​.

Norcold is EXTREMELY demanding on warranty work. To be covered under warranty, you need a licensed/approved RV Repair person to fill out Norcold's form indicating that Norcold sanctioned/approved diagnostics were done, and then submit it Norcold and/or Grand Design for them to approve of any work, BEFORE it is done. Norcold does not want an end user doing the testing or filling out the form. Again, in my situation, (1) it was supposed to be a licensed RV Tech, (2) that filled out Norcold's diagnostic form and submitted to Norcold.

I had an RV repair person come to fix a defective fridge condensation drain line, but they did not fill out Norcold's form for the defective button but wrote it on their invoice, so Norcold refused to pay anything, even though the RV tech wrote up that the control assembly was defective. Thankfully, Grand Design was feeling generous and reimbursed me directly without making a claim to Norcold, because they said Norcold would never reimburse because the Norcold warranty requirements/testing was not performed.

After watching a YouTube video, I replaced the control panel (Optical Control Assembly) in about 15 minutes and it's worked perfectly for the last year.

Bottom line: take a month or two, jump through a lot of hoops, get very frustrated with Norcold's red tape and get it repaired under warranty by an RV tech through Norcold, or do it yourself and pay Amazon for the part and get it fixed in a few days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8328.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	104200
      Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
      2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
      2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post

Bottom line: take a month or two, jump through a lot of hoops, get very frustrated with Norcold's red tape and get it repaired under warranty by an RV tech through Norcold, or do it yourself and pay Amazon for the part and get it fixed in a few days.
        Which is kind of similar to the way you have to approach fixing anything on any RV.....

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

Working...
        X