No announcement yet.

OneControl Icons...But with a Twist!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OneControl Icons...But with a Twist!!!

Okay, it's more of a diagnostic detail, but it got ya to read this!

2018 351m Momentum
    My One Control icons all disappeared at once, except for the myRV icon.

My app appears to connect to the rv, but can't read any of the sensors. They're all shown as "offline."
    I tried completely disconnecting from power (battery disconnect and 50amp) for about 10mins to see if a reboot would help. Nope.
    We went through the Tn freeze last month and were out of the RV most of the time since while plumbing issues were being addressed.
    I've done enough research to know that the CAN bus system often suffers from wiring connection problems, but I thought maybe the cold, period of lack of use and the loss of all but one Icons at once might offer some extra diagnostic direction.

Also, where are these CAN buses so that I may check the connections?
    Should I relocate this to a more Momentum specific area?

Thanks, everyone!​

Originally posted by robNeedles View Post
    Okay, it's more of a diagnostic detail, but it got ya to read this!

2018 351m Momentum
    My One Control icons all disappeared at once, except for the myRV icon.

My app appears to connect to the rv, but can't read any of the sensors. They're all shown as "offline."
    I tried completely disconnecting from power (battery disconnect and 50amp) for about 10mins to see if a reboot would help. Nope.
    We went through the Tn freeze last month and were out of the RV most of the time since while plumbing issues were being addressed.
    I've done enough research to know that the CAN bus system often suffers from wiring connection problems, but I thought maybe the cold, period of lack of use and the loss of all but one Icons at once might offer some extra diagnostic direction.

Also, where are these CAN buses so that I may check the connections?
    Should I relocate this to a more Momentum specific area?

Thanks, everyone!​
    To clarify--this is both on the OneControl Touch Panel (OCTP) and also on the app that all the components show "offline"?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

To clarify--this is both on the OneControl Touch Panel (OCTP) and also on the app that all the components show "offline"?
      The Panel stopped showing any icons, other than myRV...no awnings, lighting, water heater, etc...all at once. I haven't noticed anywhere else on the panel/in the menus where it lists them as on or offline like it does on the app. It's an '18, so we may have different editions or something. I'll explore the menus deeper, though!

Comment

The Panel stopped showing any icons, other than myRV...no awnings, lighting, water heater, etc...all at once. I haven't noticed anywhere else on the panel/in the menus where it lists them as on or offline like it does on the app. It's an '18, so we may have different editions or something. I'll explore the menus deeper, though!
        Do you know where the Unity X4 board is in your Momentum? This is the "brains" of the system. It will look like the one below. Note the CAN connections are marked as well as 4 power connections and the one ground. If you have a multimeter (and know how to use it) checking for power should be easy. Check the ground connection closely, too, as that would explain why all the components are not being recognized (all the +12v connections use that single ground).

Click image for larger version

Name:	X4 Board.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	104372

The troubleshooting guide suggests power and loose CAN harness connections.

Name:	Troubleshooting.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	104371
        Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

robNeedles You've likely already tried this but just in case; get a small pin (paperclip, phone SIM removal tool, or similar) and press and hold in on the reset button on the panel until it restarts. You need a very small pin and you'll be able to feel it when it pushes in. Sometimes, it's the easy thing that we miss that works.

Name:	Reset.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	104441
          2020 Momentum 349M
          2019 F350 Platinum Super Duty
          U.S. Air Force Retired

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Do you know where the Unity X4 board is in your Momentum? This is the "brains" of the system. It will look like the one below. Note the CAN connections are marked as well as 4 power connections and the one ground. If you have a multimeter (and know how to use it) checking for power should be easy. Check the ground connection closely, too, as that would explain why all the components are not being recognized (all the +12v connections use that single ground).

Name:	X4 Board.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	104372

The troubleshooting guide suggests power and loose CAN harness connections.

Name:	Troubleshooting.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	104371
            Howard
            Hmmmm....no I've not located that unit yet. Where is yours located?

Comment

So, here's what I have behind the panel in the basement.

Name:	IMG_5092.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	104581 I checked the electric connections to each for power with a multimeter. Everything read 12.something except the one in the orange circle, which showed 0.8something. I'm guessing that's a problem.
              BTW, does anyone know the voltage for the CAN connections? I think I remember reading 3.something, I'm not sure.

So, if the orange circle IS a big problem, does that mean I have to trace it back from there? That's essentially what the lippert guy told me. It's an incredible mess....could I jump it from somewhere else?

Thanks!

Comment

So, here's what I have behind the panel in the basement. ... So, if the orange circle IS a big problem, does that mean I have to trace it back from there? That's essentially what the lippert guy told me. It's an incredible mess....could I jump it from somewhere else?
                Wow--that's a lot different than I expected. What you have is a pre-Unity X4 (the X4 is an "all in one" board) version of the OneControl system as all the components in your setup are discrete (separate).

In response to your query--my '19 Reflection 315RLTS is a "dumb" trailer--no OneControl (aka CompassConnect). Since working on bus systems was what I did as an avionics technician in the USAF, the theory of operation of the OneControl is easy for me to understand. I've also taken every course on the topic Lippert has offered.

CAN is a digital bus communication system. Trying to measure a "voltage" with a meter is not going to be very helpful IMO. If a CAN harness is suspect, removing each harness segment (at both ends with ALL power off) and doing an ohms (continuity) check is how I'd approach it. But I don't recommend this step at this point--much more likely there's a blown fuse somewhere or other power problem.

I would NOT try to jumper power to the "missing" connection (the circled item in the picture). These boards are VERY expensive. Making a mistake will cost a pretty penny. This is going to take a systematic, careful approach to find the missing 12v.

So...a question back at ya.

How did you check the voltage at each connection? The only way to ensure each connection is powered is by moving the negative and positive lead to each + and - connection on each board. Using a common ground for each positive can result in errant readings because you may be providing the ground for the multimeter measurement by where the lead is connected. That's hard to communicate in verbiage...if that's not clear fire back and I'll try again.

Not the most sophisticated way to troubleshoot, but see all the fuses in the board to the right of the LED Control Module? WITH ALL POWER REMOVED FROM THE TRAILER what I'd do is pull them out, one at a time, and check for continuity using a multimeter. You just may stumble across a blown fuse. If you find one blown, replace with it with a new one with the same rating. (I helped a friend troubleshoot his 5vr that had a similar setup to yours and that's what we found--one blown fuse had shut down his slides, awnings, all kinds of stuff.)

Howard

Comment

Working...
                X