Norcold fridge propane flicker!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold fridge propane flicker!?

Hello all, I have the Norcold electric/propane fridge in a 2019 Solitude 310. While traveling and dry camping with the fridge on propane, the flame flickers. See attached video. I sent a similar video to a local service technician a good while back who said there was nothing to worry about. I think I need a second opinion. It is somewhat annoying, especially when trying to sleep. What are your thoughts? Does this need to be addressed or is it common with this fridge? Any suggestions? Thanks fridge.MOV
    2019 Solitude 310 GK
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Mine does the exact same thing. It bugs me but was also told it's normal. My old Dometic was very quiet.

Comment

The somewhat triangular piece in front of the flame is for combustion air adjustment. You can try opening it up a bit and see if there is a difference in flame quality. The flame should not do that.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

My old Norcold used to sputter and pop like that.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I think the triangular piece is for flame inspection not air adjustment. Air adjustment should be at the jet.

This and the previous camper do the same thing. First one was quiet. I think ours get better after a day or so as it almost acts a if there is air in the system. Ours typically only runs when traveling.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

After looking again at your MOV file, that shutter is probably just an inspection window. But the issue with that burner is air/fuel ratio. However it is unlikely it has an adjustable air orifice like they used to.
            So you probably have to live with it.
            If it was mine I'd be drilling the burner tube and making a shutter, but I'm not recommending you do that.
            Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

SD McCart
              Thinking about your question and responses in this thread I think there's a difference between "normal" and what Norcold engineered into the system. As a favorite podcaster says, two things can be true at once, so I think Norcold did not intend for the system to work as shown in the video but what's being seen and heard is not unusual in the field, aka it's "normal". In other words it's a nuisance but it won't lead to anything catastrophic.

If it was my system, I'd be checking the pressure (water column) at the input and output of the refrigerator's gas valve. This may not be an easy task, depending on the accessibility of the valve. I'd also ensure the right orifice was installed in the valve's output orifice assembly. While rare, there have been cases where the wrong orifice is installed. (I don't know which one is right for your refrigerator.) While the orifice is out I'd clean it, too, but only by dipping the orifice in denatured alcohol. (Never insert anything in an orifice to clean it!)

Click image for larger version

Name:	gas valve.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	104454

Another way to approach the problem and much easier to do is to measure the WC output at the main regulator (with at least 50% load, or propane draw) on the system. Why check that measurement? If it's above 11.5" WC, according to a Norcold service manual it can cause "blow out" of the flame. From the Norcold 121x Series of RV Refrigerators Service Manual:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gas Pressure.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	104453

In other words, make sure the output of the regulator at the propane cylinders is <=11.5" w.c. under load. I'd even try as low as 10.5" w.c. under load to see if the popping goes away.

If none of this makes any sense to you (which is OK), a qualified RV technician should understand and be able to do the main propane regulator output test quickly and easily.

Hope that helps somewhat...

Howard
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Just an fyi howson, that Norcold burner in your drawing has been produced in three and four hole combustion air versions. (The round holes before the seven slots) I don't know if they still make both.

And I like that definition of "normal" Howard. Quite true.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. I don't use propane too often, but wanted the valuable second opinion from this group. I will probably have it looked at the next time I need service for something else or maybe at the rally. Thanks again.
                  2019 Solitude 310 GK
                  2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

The flicker/pop/sputter is caused by incorrect air fuel mixture.

The inspection window shutter has little or no effect upon the mixture.

Replacing the orifice assembly often times will solve the problem.

Norcold has a kit that adds adjustments to the air fuel mixture, part number 640452, I’ve not found a supplier that has them in stock and Norcold doesn’t sell directly to service centers.

At a Norcold class the instructor said to loosen the orifice and open it a half to full turn. The assembly holder when reinstalled holds the orifice in place

Another option I’ve seen is to use a small worm gear hose clamp as a way to adjust air/fuel. Slide the clamp back and forth over the air holes to adjust.

Colan Arnold
                    2016 Momentum 397TH
                    Full time since 2016

Comment

I'll have to give that a try. Thanks
                      2019 Solitude 310 GK
                      2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Working...
                      X