Frig reboot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frig reboot

When your absorption frig quits cooling (cooling unit less than two years old) and an experienced RV technician tells you to do a "frig reboot," listen to him/her. Late last week and over the weekend our Norcold 1210 frig started not maintaining proper temperatures. I tracked it with a frig/freezer thermometer and my infrared thermometer and got an ever-tightening knot in my gut. First thing Monday morning I contacted our favorite technician here in Las Cruces, NM, Richard's RV Service, fearing the worst. He asked the following questions:
    • Is it the same on AC and propane? Answer: Yes.
    • Did the problem come on suddenly - like flipping a switch? Answer: No.
    • Did you smell ammonia? Answer: No.
    • Do you see any yellow residue around the boiler, coils, or any of the other tubing on the cooling unit? Answer: No.
    • Do you hear the cooling fans in the back cycling on and off? Answer: I haven't noticed them like I usually do - but the weather has been cooler.

Richard's instructions: Turn the frig off for at least five hours and let everything get down to ambient temperature in the back. Using a rubber mallet, periodically tap on all the pipes, tubes, and other refrigerant conduits I can reach, both while it's cooling down and after it's completely cooled. This process took until about 2:00 Monday afternoon. I then turned the frig back on and continued to do the "rubber mallet frappage" periodically while the frig was warming up/cooling down. I turned the frig back on mid-afternoon and by the time we went to bed Monday evening, both the frig and the freezer were getting back down in normal ranges and the infrared readings on the frig fins and the back walls of the freezer compartments were very good.

I kept a log and updated Richard a couple of times on Tuesday and he dropped by yesterday (Wednesday) to check. His diagnosis... an air bubble or chemical membrane in the refrigerant system. He said, "Congratulations!" and pronounced the frig healthy. We both think the issue occurred because our RV hasn't been moved since we pulled onto this site on 10 November and the jostling an absorption refrigerator gets bouncing down the road helps keep the refrigerant stirred up and moving.

I hope this experience can be of use to someone else - and save you a service call fee.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

My grandfather had a 1976 Vacationeer class C. About 15 years ago, my buddies and I were going to take it out and do some boondocking and ATV riding. Fired up the refrigerator and it cooled for a while, then started tailing off. My friend's dad said, "Take around the block a few times and hit some speed bumps, but not too softly." I looked at him like he was a little crazy, but said, "Oooook." No joke, 10 minutes later the thing was working great. He asked later how it was working and I said, "Great!" He pretty much said the same thing your tech did.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M
    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

This is great info. This makes a lot of sense too. Thanks Rob Second Chance

I will need to remember that when we start spending more time in one spot.

Rob
      Rob & Barb
      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Thanks for the postng the techs suggestion. I am currently having a similar issue with my Norcold 1210 refer. Frig won't go below 45 and freezer is at about 18 degrees. Had a tech suggest your method but didn't mention tapping the coils. Said leaving it off for a couple hours should do it. Problem did not go away. We have been stationary for 6 weeks. We were gone for a15 days so no vibrations from moving about the trailer or opening or closing the frig door. Will try this although we are moving in a couple of days.

2017 Reflection 337
        2017 Reflection 337
        2016 Chevrolet Duramax CC, SWB

Comment

Thanks again, followed your instructions yesterday and refrigerator seems to be functioning as it should.
          2017 Reflection 337
          2016 Chevrolet Duramax CC, SWB

Comment

Working...
          X