Ford customer placed trailer camera and TPMS sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford customer placed trailer camera and TPMS sensors

Have a 2022 F350 that has the pro trailer backup assist, 5th wheel prep package, and the 360° surround camera view. Ordered the trailer camera and TPMS while waiting for truck to arrive. Recently found a new to us 2021 337RLS. Installed a Stern Saver mini transducer mount below the factory camera mount, sealed around the top and sides with some 3M 5200 marine sealant. Finally had a nice day, ran camera wiring from pin box to front storage, dug out some spray foam insulation to get into the underside. Mounted TPMS module in the front storage. Dropped the coroplast and tried using a fish tape to get to the back of the trailer, didn’t work so well, should have borrowed some fish sticks from work, oh well. Just lowered more areas of coroplast, and pulled wire by hand, exited in the rear by the trailer hitch area and ran wiring through the side bracket deal of the trailer hitch and up the ladder to the camera that I mounted to the Stern Saver. I ordered 20’ of cable wrap from Nichols Manufacturing, it was well worth the money. They have a YouTube video on the process which is basically what I done. Bought a 1”x48” piece of flat bar to facilitate in getting the wiring from the pin box to the front storage area, worked great. Mounted the yaw sensor for the pro trailer backup assist to the pin box. Got the TPMS sensors installed today, dropped off 5th wheel at the storage place, let air out of tires until it honked notifying that it was linked to the sensor, some tires took more than others. Need to borrow a bottle of nitrogen from work and air tires back up to 80 psi. Sorry no pictures, it is rainy and cool today, plus heading to KC for the Big 12 Championship, Rock Chalk!!! I’ll post pics and will be more than happy to answer any questions if I can. It really was not as bad as I was dreading, just took a little time and some decent weather. Hopefully this helps somebody trying to find any information on this install, I never really found too much except for the Nichols Manufacturing video. The TPMS sensors fit my wheels fine, didn’t have to worry about getting the bigger ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0na4fhfgh_8
    Craig & Theresa
    2022 Ford F350, SRW, CCSB, 7.3L, 4.30 rear axle, Lariat Ultimate, 4x4, Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist, factory gooseneck 5th wheel prep package
    New to us 2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS using a B&W Companion slider hitch

Went out to the storage place today and took some photos.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9D470650-D1B6-468B-B830-355C28F8CC0D.jpg
Views:	998
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	108228 Click image for larger version

Name:	CF734876-020F-47FA-9DB7-023A89DBA8F7.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	108231 Click image for larger version

Name:	A9C8B509-4FDC-4635-9336-5B6F88A7CC6D.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	108230 Click image for larger version

Name:	58103C7C-E273-4E7F-B70D-8EB690D9BEE2.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	108229 Click image for larger version

Name:	9E88A7E0-8909-4B7E-8E21-7DFF50C14804.jpg
Views:	974
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	108227
    Attached Files
    Craig & Theresa
    2022 Ford F350, SRW, CCSB, 7.3L, 4.30 rear axle, Lariat Ultimate, 4x4, Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist, factory gooseneck 5th wheel prep package
    New to us 2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS using a B&W Companion slider hitch

Comment

Originally posted by cnote72 View Post
      Have a 2022 F350 that has the pro trailer backup assist, 5th wheel prep package, and the 360° surround camera view. Ordered the trailer camera and TPMS while waiting for truck to arrive. Recently found a new to us 2021 337RLS. Installed a Stern Saver mini transducer mount below the factory camera mount, sealed around the top and sides with some 3M 5200 marine sealant. Finally had a nice day, ran camera wiring from pin box to front storage, dug out some spray foam insulation to get into the underside. Mounted TPMS module in the front storage. Dropped the coroplast and tried using a fish tape to get to the back of the trailer, didn’t work so well, should have borrowed some fish sticks from work, oh well. Just lowered more areas of coroplast, and pulled wire by hand, exited in the rear by the trailer hitch area and ran wiring through the side bracket deal of the trailer hitch and up the ladder to the camera that I mounted to the Stern Saver. I ordered 20’ of cable wrap from Nichols Manufacturing, it was well worth the money. They have a YouTube video on the process which is basically what I done. Bought a 1”x48” piece of flat bar to facilitate in getting the wiring from the pin box to the front storage area, worked great. Mounted the yaw sensor for the pro trailer backup assist to the pin box. Got the TPMS sensors installed today, dropped off 5th wheel at the storage place, let air out of tires until it honked notifying that it was linked to the sensor, some tires took more than others. Need to borrow a bottle of nitrogen from work and air tires back up to 80 psi. Sorry no pictures, it is rainy and cool today, plus heading to KC for the Big 12 Championship, Rock Chalk!!! I’ll post pics and will be more than happy to answer any questions if I can. It really was not as bad as I was dreading, just took a little time and some decent weather. Hopefully this helps somebody trying to find any information on this install, I never really found too much except for the Nichols Manufacturing video. The TPMS sensors fit my wheels fine, didn’t have to worry about getting the bigger ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0na4fhfgh_8
      What made you choose the wired camera vs one of the wireless options like Haloview that are available? I know that GM offered a wired camera that is supposed to work well but I just couldn't deal with external wiring running down the back of my camper or running wiring to the truck bumper. I finished my Haloview install last week and removed the GD OEM camera but need to sync it up to the monitor I have in the truck.
      40-year Camping Enthusiast
      2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
      2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

COReflection I didn’t want to have an extra display to deal with. My Lariat Ultimate has the 12” display screen so wanted to utilize that. It’s our first RV so the exposed wiring doesn’t really bother me. The camera wiring also has the TPMS and ties into the yaw sensor for the Pro Trailer Backup Assist, which I got more for my wife than me. Not sure how much anytime soon she will be backing up the RV, but at least she can learn more easy with it maybe. Figured it was kind of an all in one package this way.
        Craig & Theresa

Comment

Did you change out the factory 7 pin whip cord? Been thinking of doing something similar with a coiled cord.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

I did not. I just used the cable wrap from the link below and wrapped both the 7 pin cord and the 12 pin Ford cord all together.

https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...-wrap-per-foot
            Craig & Theresa

Comment

Is that a cord holder just screwed to the bottom of the pin box?
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

COReflection I didn’t want to have an extra display to deal with. My Lariat Ultimate has the 12” display screen so wanted to utilize that. It’s our first RV so the exposed wiring doesn’t really bother me. The camera wiring also has the TPMS and ties into the yaw sensor for the Pro Trailer Backup Assist, which I got more for my wife than me. Not sure how much anytime soon she will be backing up the RV, but at least she can learn more easy with it maybe. Figured it was kind of an all in one package this way.
                Yeah I can understand that about the display. I went round and round on that too. I settled on the rear view mirror mount for the external display that comes with the Haloview camera and used it for the first time yesterday when I tested out some recent mods to the camper. I have to say that I am super happy with the camera and I am getting used to the rear-view mirror mount. The view in the rear-view mirror is obsured anyway once you are pulling---so looking into the camera monitor makes sense now to see the rear of the camper and what's behind it. The wireless works awesome and the refresh rate on the camera is amazing.

My TPMS sensors were wireless to the GM TPMS system so that part was easy. I just had to add all four TPMS sensors to the camper tires. Those are all synced up now to the same monitoring system in the truck as well.
                40-year Camping Enthusiast
                2022 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS with tons of upgrades
                2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC LB SRW D-Max 3865 Cargo Capacity

Comment

I'm looking forward to attaching four Ford cameras to my Reflection 315 RLTS whenever my 2023 Ford F350 is delivered. Hopefully by October.

Ford's description: Available 360-Degree Trailer Camera Kit creates a bird’s-eye view of the truck and trailer when four available wired cameras are attached to the trailer.

(Also looking forward to "Pro Trailer Hitch Assist" which will automatically move the truck so that the ball of the truck hitch is perfectly aligned under the trailer.) Click image for larger version

Name:	Birds Eye.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	108599
                  Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                  2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                  2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
                    I'm looking forward to attaching four Ford cameras to my Reflection 315 RLTS whenever my 2023 Ford F350 is delivered.
                    Has Ford removed the mph limitation that limited the usability of my '17s camera setup? Quite annoying that I had to buy an aftermarket bypass kit to utilize the rear trailer camera while traveling.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Has Ford removed the mph limitation that limited the usability of my '17s camera setup? Quite annoying that I had to buy an aftermarket bypass kit to utilize the rear trailer camera while traveling.
                      The box camera and the trailer camera will stay on at travel speed in my 2022 F350.

Rob
                      Cate & Rob
                      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                      2015 Reflection 303RLS
                      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                        Is that a cord holder just screwed to the bottom of the pin box?
                        It’s like a docking port deal for the 12 pin connector. Pretty handy actually.

Craig & Theresa

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmer View Post
                          I'm looking forward to attaching four Ford cameras to my Reflection 315 RLTS whenever my 2023 Ford F350 is delivered. Hopefully by October.

Ford's description: Available 360-Degree Trailer Camera Kit creates a bird’s-eye view of the truck and trailer when four available wired cameras are attached to the trailer.

(Also looking forward to "Pro Trailer Hitch Assist" which will automatically move the truck so that the ball of the truck hitch is perfectly aligned under the trailer.) Click image for larger version

Name:	Birds Eye.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	108599
                          Jimmer I waited right at 8 months for my 2022 F350. Seems like it took forever, but I think it was well worth the wait, really like the truck.
                          Craig & Theresa

Comment

Jimmer I waited right at 8 months for my 2022 F350. Seems like it took forever, but I think it was well worth the wait, really like the truck.
                            I ordered the 2023 F350 Limited the first day the order banks opened at the end of October 2022. I'll be happy if I get it by October 2023.

howson , I don't know whether the Ford camera system will work when moving. However, the 2023 brochure of the technology in the new Superduty says the following about the 360 degree trailer camera kit: "Not to be used while driving." Maybe it won't work above a few miles per hour, who knows. But I'm hoping to use it to see the trailer swing, as this is not possible to see without a spotter or camera system.
                            Home Base: Fairfax, Virginia
                            2021 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS Travel Trailer
                            2002 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel 4X4 SRW

Comment

On my 2022, the bird's eye view of the truck and forward camera view cut out above crawl speed. I'm thinking that the 4 camera trailer bird's eye view is likely to be a parking aid, so will cut out at speed . . . but, I don't know that for sure.

Rob
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X