Recalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recalls

Does anyone know of a way to handle recalls without carrying to the dealer?

I just took possession of a 2020 367bhs. After signing up, I see it's got an open recall.

I fear the dealer and their long wait times. Please advise.
    2020 Grand Design 367bhs
    2016 RAM 2500 w/ 6.7 diesel

I would guess a mobile tech may be able to satisfy the recall requirements. Or if you will be attending any of the GD Rallies this year they will do it there. If you purchased this from a dealer then they should have taken care of any recalls before selling. If that is so I would pressure them to take care of that quickly.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

There is “paperwork” to be submitted when a NHTSA or similar recall is completed and only a dealer or Grand Design can do this. It is possible that a mobile tech authorized by GD could submit the documentation . . . a question for GD Customer Service. If you are comfortable completing the inspection or repair required by the recall, you can always wait until a later time at the dealer or a rally to have the paperwork completed.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I spoke to the GD recall center about a week ago because I don't have an "authorized" GD service center near by. I was informed I could take it to any repair shop and GD would cover the cost. I was informed I could also use a mobile tech, however, GD would not cover the service fee for the mobile tech, but they would cover the parts and labor for the repair/fix. They did advise that any other place should contact GD and get instructions on how to complete the recall. I have a mobile tech coming soon to do the fridge recall for ours in a few days, I will pay mobile tech full amount and then submit invoice to GD for reimbursement - we'll see how it goes.
        2021 Ram 3500 dually - 6.7L HO Diesel
        2021 Reflection 367BHS

Comment

GD authorized the use of a mobile tech service on mine for the gas regulator recall a while back. I paid the tech and GD reimbursed me after submitting the invoice and proper paperwork. GD gave thorough instructions for the process.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            If you are comfortable completing the inspection or repair required by the recall, you can always wait until a later time at the dealer or a rally to have the paperwork completed.

Rob
            I did this with the refrigerator recall. I moved the burned wire by the chimney myself in 2021 as I learned about it during camping season and don't like the idea of having the trailer sitting at a dealer. Then the following year lined up an appt to have it done 'officially' in early May. FYI, GD will not send recall instructions to anybody but licensed RV techs/dealers.
            Unfortunately, that dealer (non GD) did not submit the paperwork to GD. So in order to get the GD paperwork completed I had a GD SRT inspect it at the Quartzsite rally.
            So I did it myself, and at a dealer, and at a rally..all for one recall....lol
            Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 06-23-2023, 11:30 AM. Reason: Spelling...and I probably missed some....
            2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I had my 2023 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 235BH less than a month when I saw the recall alert on main GDRV group.
              I called the dealership that is an authorized GD dealer and they had yet to receive the recall. They did call back a few days later and indicated the recall of "no emergency exit window install" on models indicated by VIN.
              I am now waiting to be called back awaiting authorization and shipment of window to be installed.
              I have 2 or more trips planned soon and will be leaving a hammer near the largest window away from the only exit door. This may take awhile but it is in the "works".
              Best of luck to all that have warranty/recall issues.

Comment

Mine didnt show any of the fridge issues that were of concern but I still tidied up the wiring while I was in there. If I get to a rally event I will have to looked at but theres no way I am having the dealer leave my trailer sitting for 2 months to tell me something I already know.
                2021 Reflection 337RLS, 2021 Silverado 3500HD 6.6 gas. Nellie the wonder boxer

Comment

Quick update - mobile RV tech came out and completed the recall. I paid tech full amount, submitted the invoice to GD via email and received a check from GD in less than a week.
                  2021 Ram 3500 dually - 6.7L HO Diesel
                  2021 Reflection 367BHS

Comment

We picked up our 301GK after having the recall work performed at a dealer in Ohio on July 11th. We started noticing our sodas weren't as cold as before and checked the temp setting. It looked as though the setting defaulted back to 5 and, since we typically had it set to 6, we made the adjustment and waited. After a day on 50A shore power, still not cold enough, and things in the freezer were getting soft. I called our service rep and the dealer but no response. I cranked the temp setting to 9 and then we moved to a 30A connection at the Cummins service center in Cleveland (that's another long story!).

We continued to notice poor performance but chalked it up to the 95º heat and 30A power (silly me). After 5 nights in the Cummins parking lot (...a very long story), we FINALLY got our genset running and we were off to Colorado. Along the way, I started doing research and read a forum post on MyGrandRV about the misplaced baffle. When we got to Denver, the cabinet next to the fridge was so hot, I could barely touch it. My hubby got on a ladder, pulled the top vent cover, and, sure enough, the metal baffle that was supposed to be on top of the fridge had been shoved to a position in front of the coils, blocking all airflow through the vent. He was able to remove the screws holding the baffle in place and wrench the metal sheet out and replace it in its proper position. This was July 24th, a full 2 weeks after the recall work was completed. I again called the dealer and 2 days later, received a call back. At the time, we were boondocking at 10k feet and I didn't think it was fair to assess the fridge's performance under those circumstances. The service rep said he would "make a note of it" in our record and to let them know if we continue to have issues.

We've now been on 50A shore power for several days and I've again cranked the temp setting to 9. We get decent temps at the top of the fridge (30-35º) but the temps in the lower drawers are not good (43-48º). The freezer compartment temps range from 0º (lower left) to 33º (upper right).

Do these readings indicate a problem to anyone else?
                    Click image for larger version.   Name:	20230724_180327.jpg  Views:	4  Size:	92.2 KB  ID:	47527Click image for larger version.   Name:	20230724_183016.jpg  Views:	4  Size:	84.1 KB  ID:	47526Click image for larger version.   Name:	2023-07-24_BaffleOut.jpg  Views:	4  Size:	275.0 KB  ID:	47525

Comment

Working...
                    X