Replacing Contactor in Progressive Dynamics EMS-HW50C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Contactor in Progressive Dynamics EMS-HW50C

This thread is an offshoot (or result of) the thread Progressive EMS-HW50C Hum.

First, a shoutout to Jomani for the link to Amazon and the replacement contactor. (Thanks!)

Progressive replaced the buzzing EMS (the entire thing, including a new display) under warranty and did not want the old unit back. Since I knew how to get the replacement contactor, I figured why not repair the EMS and have a spare?

Replacing the contactor was easy. It's held in place by two screws and nuts. Just be sure to take copious pictures of how the wires are connected and it's not difficult at all. Hardest part was wrestling those thick wires in such a small space. In retrospect ferrules would have made the job much easier due to the stranded wire.

Click image for larger version  Name:	screws and nuts.jpg Views:	0 Size:	135.8 KB ID:	111244
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20230428_073604 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.4 KB ID:	111245

I cut up an old extension cord that I didn't need and created a non-weatherproof external unit so I can test someone else's pedestal / unit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230428_092505 (Large).jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.4 KB ID:	111246

I also took apart the buzzing contactor to see what's inside. To my surprise it is very easy to get to the physical contacts--they are right under the cover. There are tiny springs in there (that I managed to not lose) but it's possible to unscrew the bottom contact and inspect it. Makes me wonder if a squirt of DEOXIT would have fixed the buzzing problem.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Contactor.jpg Views:	0 Size:	114.2 KB ID:	111247

Just gee whiz info...

Howard

P.S. The link to the contactor on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S2WM24T

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Originally posted by howson View Post

I also took apart the buzzing contactor to see what's inside. To my surprise it is very easy to get to the physical contacts--they are right under the cover. There are tiny springs in there (that I managed to not lose) but it's possible to unscrew the bottom contact and inspect it. Makes me wonder if a squirt of DEOXIT would have fixed the buzzing problem.

The humming isn't caused by the contact condition so deoxit would not have done anything for you in that regard. From what I can see, your contacts look pristine.

Gettting those wires into the box, through the CT's then to the contactor looks like it would have been frustratingly tight. Good job Howard.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

howson Just fyi, Most quality contactors have 'contact kits' available where you can swap out the contact pieces and springs.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

If you pull that further apart and inspect the magnet surfaces that may give a clue to the humming noise. I have not met one of these contactors that did not hum.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
          howson Just fyi, Most quality contactors have 'contact kits' available where you can swap out the contact pieces and springs.
          That makes sense as it is very easy to access the contacts. I'd sure hate to get sideways with all the little springs, though!
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Working...
          X