12VDC Electrical Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12VDC Electrical Issue

I am new to this form. I have an Imagine 22RBE. There is no 12V electrical power that will run the 12VDC devices when disconnected from 120VAC, although my 12 battery is fairly new and tests at 12.3V off the charger, and with no load. Once AC is disconnected, the electrical is dead. I am looking for a battery disconnect that is switched off, but no luck. The owner's manual does not address this issue. I traced the wiring from the battery to an open set of terminal posts on the front tongue of the trailer, then the wiring goes into a 4x4 electrical box. When I opened the box, it contained only splices, which appear to be good, and where 12.3VDC is also present. The wiring then continues into the cab and disappears. The breaker box is located in the bedroom, behind the sink. All breakers and fuses test good. There must be a battery disconnect somewhere so when the trailer is off 120VAC, the battery is not engaged when you don't want it to be. We have the trailer parked and in use, and we need our 12VDC to provide back-up when 120VAC power is lost to run the propane refrigerator, propane water heater and lighting. I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem. Thank you, Forrest

Definitely sounds like the battery disconnect switch. I am not familiar with your trailer - does it have pass through storage? Seems like most are located there.
    2022 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.7 Cummins, RamBox, Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Plus, B&W Companion
    2022 Reflection 303RLS, Progressive hardwired EMS, Airborne Sidewinder​
    YouTube Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by forrestjenkins View Post
      I am new to this form. I have an Imagine 22RBE. There is no 12V electrical power that will run the 12VDC devices when disconnected from 120VAC, although my 12 battery is fairly new and tests at 12.3V off the charger, and with no load. Once AC is disconnected, the electrical is dead. I am looking for a battery disconnect that is switched off, but no luck. The owner's manual does not address this issue. I traced the wiring from the battery to an open set of terminal posts on the front tongue of the trailer, then the wiring goes into a 4x4 electrical box. When I opened the box, it contained only splices, which appear to be good, and where 12.3VDC is also present. The wiring then continues into the cab and disappears. The breaker box is located in the bedroom, behind the sink. All breakers and fuses test good. There must be a battery disconnect somewhere so when the trailer is off 120VAC, the battery is not engaged when you don't want it to be. We have the trailer parked and in use, and we need our 12VDC to provide back-up when 120VAC power is lost to run the propane refrigerator, propane water heater and lighting. I would greatly appreciate any help with this problem. Thank you, Forrest
      First welcome

You looking for a red handeled key switch. It on your docking station panel in the pass through https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWpqGWJhEE 20 minute mark. Key needs to be pushed in and turned to the ON position (key cant be removed.
      Good luck
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

In the pass through storage area, there is no electrical except for a 120VAC outlet. Only the 120VAC outlet, city water intake / onboard tank valve and tv jack exist in the compartment.

Comment

The video at the 20m mark ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLWpqGWJhEE​ ) shows an access panel similar to ours, but there is no battery disconnect switch at that location in our trailer. We have opened every cabinet, drawer and panel to try and find it. Thank you just the same to trying to help!

Comment

Does you tongue jack work when not plugged into AC (shore power)? (I'm assuming it does but want to eliminate variables).

Our battery disconnect was part of the wet bay (where you connect your water....)

Cutoff should be in your passthrough. I circled it below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cutoff.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	111477
            Last edited by acoleman43; 05-01-2023, 12:46 PM.
            Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

The photo shows where it would normally be, but my access point for water, etc. look just like this without the disconnect switch. I am not sure that my tongue jack works or not with 12VDC, as Holiday World delivered the trailer to our property. Thanks for the assistance.

Comment

The photo shows where it would normally be, but my access point for water, etc. look just like this without the disconnect switch. I am not sure that my tongue jack works or not with 12VDC, as Holiday World delivered the trailer to our property. Thanks for the assistance.
                tongue jack bypasses the 12v disconnect switch. If your tongue jack works, you can rule out a battery issue.

2020, 2021, 2022 and 2023 models have DC disconnect in same location. If it's not there, you may want to get with dealer.
                Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I agree with AColeman, I found a video walkthrough of your model and that is where it shows it. What year is your unit? Can you post a picture of that area (the wet bay).
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

The battery disconnect may be on the opposite side of the pass thru, maybe.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Your battery isn’t being charged either. 12.3V is significantly less than fully charged.
                      John & Kathy
                      2014 Reflection 303RLS
                      2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

The year model is a 2019. I have searched everywhere for the disconnect, including both sides of the pass-through storage and inside and under the trailer in every possible location. I have not removed every drawer yet, but that is the only place I have not looked. I agree that the battery should be more than 12.3VDC when being charged, but it has maintained that voltage for over a year, so it has a charger on it. FYI, when I disconnect 120VAC power, the voltage on the battery remains the same. Obviously it doesn't have a load on it.

Comment

The year model is a 2019. I have searched everywhere for the disconnect, including both sides of the pass-through storage and inside and under the trailer in every possible location. I have not removed every drawer yet, but that is the only place I have not looked. I agree that the battery should be more than 12.3VDC when being charged, but it has maintained that voltage for over a year, so it has a charger on it. FYI, when I disconnect 120VAC power, the voltage on the battery remains the same. Obviously it doesn't have a load on it.

Here's a 2019 22RBE

Name:	2019 22rbe.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	111494
                          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

My 2019 Imagine 22RBE is identical to this model on YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmE-BvlmzE0 except they did not put the battery disconnect in the pass-through storage area above the city water intake.

Name:	Grand Design Imagine 22RBE vid.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	111496

Comment

forrestjenkins Are you the original owner?
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X