• Show
Clear All

Here's an interesting read.

Propane 101-The basics.pdf
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Here's an interesting anecdote. In 2016, our tow vehicle developed a fuel leak and caught on fire while towing in Illinois. The fire quickly spread to the back of the tow vehicle and consumed a good portion of the front of our GDRV Reflection fifth wheel. We were towing with the propane supply turned on, and the refrigerator running.

The fire was intense, and it was quite interesting to me that the propane supply did not burn. In the photo at the end of this post, you can see how close the fire came to the propane tank on the driver's side. You can see it actually started to melt the interior of the door. It would have been interesting if that had ignited. When the fire department arrived, one of the first things they did was toss the propane tanks away from the fire. If the tanks had been secured with a lock, it would have been more difficult for them to remove them.

I think it would be a very rare occurence for the propane system to actually be the source of a fire in an rv. I've never heard of a propane leak causing a fire while in motion. Of course there have been many fires that started in the refrigerator compartment due to a faulty refrigerator, but that can happen in motion or while parked.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0523.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	113239 Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

x2 . . . this additional device is redundant to what is built into every propane tank valve. Volume of propane in the tank can’t be measured by pressure (until you are nearly out). Note that this “gauge” has a wide green range (where the needle position will change with temperature) and a narrow red “almost out” range as the final pressure drops.

Rob
        Actually, the in tank valves are prone to failure. Seen it first hand.
        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
        2020 Momentum 351M
        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

This was one of the main reasons that I replaced my absorption fridge with a 12V compressor fridge (the other was the additional 2 cubic feet of space).
          Yup, we changed out our fridge for the same reason...now we shut off propane while traveling.

THere are some roads that require you to shut off propane...like long tunnels.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post

Actually, the in tank valves are prone to failure. Seen it first hand.
            Hi Curtis ! long-time-no-hear ! What was the failure mode that you experienced ?

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Curtis ! long-time-no-hear ! What was the failure mode that you experienced ?

Rob
              Baseball season is upon us. I've been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. And I'm not even the manager this season.

BBQ grill (not mine) was left on, some how, hose ruptured, ignited and had a flame thrower off those hose.
              Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
              2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
              2020 Momentum 351M
              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

OffToHavasu

Both the in-tank valve and the aftermarket add-on referenced earlier have to allow a very low flow to balance the pressure on both sides of the check valve and allow it to open. As described in TedS Ted's attachment to post 16, propane has a very narrow air/fuel combustion ratio. I guess it is possible that the hose rupture combined air and propane in a combustible A/F ratio and there was a source of ignition. A failed valve would likely blow out any flame in an open space, extinguishing combustion by way of a too rich A/F ratio. BTW, Ted's attachment to post 16 is worth the read.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X