Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wineguard 12v wires missing from the ceiling cap.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wineguard 12v wires missing from the ceiling cap.

I just purchased a Winegard GW-1000. Drove to the RV expecting a quick install based on all the video guidance I've been watching. Of course when I take off the ceiling cap, the only available wires are the three communication lines. No 12 volt. I popped out the ceiling light next to it, and it appears the only wires available there are hot only when light is on.

Is this a complete oversight by GD?
    Needless to say, this isn't the quick install I hoping it would be.
    Anyone have an easy workaround to get 12v to the router? I've attached pics.
    Caren and David
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2017 Ford F-350 Lariat dually

Ellenton, Florida (for now!)

Originally posted by MilesAhead View Post
    I just purchased a Winegard GW-1000. Drove to the RV expecting a quick install based on all the video guidance I've been watching. Of course when I take off the ceiling cap, the only available wires are the three communication lines. No 12 volt. I popped out the ceiling light next to it, and it appears the only wires available there are hot only when light is on.

Is this a complete oversight by GD?
    Needless to say, this isn't the quick install I hoping it would be.
    Anyone have an easy workaround to get 12v to the router? I've attached pics.
    Can you reach up into the ceiling area and locate any other wires? Maybe even use something similar to a metal coat hanger to try and hook any wires that may have slipped out of place? I had to fish for the wires at the back of my coach when trying to modify the rear camera.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Jim, I tried reaching as far as I could with fingers. Nothing within 3" of the hole. I'll fashion a hook and dig further tomorrow, providing an update.
      will also be attempting (for the 1st time) to call Grand Design support. I'll hoping for a good support experience! Thanks for the response.
      Caren and David
      2021 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

Originally posted by MilesAhead View Post
        Jim, I tried reaching as far as I could with fingers. Nothing within 3" of the hole. I'll fashion a hook and dig further tomorrow, providing an update.
        will also be attempting (for the 1st time) to call Grand Design support. I'll hoping for a good support experience! Thanks for the response.
        They're probably up there somewhere as Jim suggested. May be tough to find, but hard to believe they would be missing completely.

Regarding the question about getting 12V up there (if indeed the wires are missing) that's a tough one. Easy enough to tap off the light wires, but obviously they are only powered when the light is on. Should it come to that, maybe what I had to do will give you some ideas. (My '19 315RLTS did not come with any version of the Winegard.) https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ion-in-315rlts

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

If its a total miss by GD, it's a build flaw and not a warranty item so I'm hoping GD's support will make it right. Worst case I'll runn wire accross the outer roof from the front and bring it down where the cap was. Not a great solution but I don't want to mess up the interior. I was excited today thinking I had at most a 60min project to get this working. It's a stepping stone to getting my Victron Cerbo communicating. It's never easy ...
          Caren and David
          2021 Solitude 310GK-R

Comment

MilesAhead just a heads up on what you're looking for, I've seen reports that the 12v that's run there is looped through, it does not end there. So you're looking for a 14 gauge two conductor passing through that area. Assuming you find it you'll need to cut it and splice in.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
              MilesAhead just a heads up on what you're looking for, I've seen reports that the 12v that's run there is looped through, it does not end there. So you're looking for a 14 gauge two conductor passing through that area. Assuming you find it you'll need to cut it and splice in.
              This is what I found. Had to cut and splice. Funny enough, in mine the 12V was attached to the little ceiling clip but none of the other wires were. Had to search around for those ones, but they were there.
              Ken & Sandra
              2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Working...
              X