2017 2400bh converter/charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 2400bh converter/charger

Does anyone out there know what kind of converter/charger comes in a 2017 2400bh, single or multi stage?

Originally posted by cparr109 View Post
    Does anyone out there know what kind of converter/charger comes in a 2017 2400bh, single or multi stage?
    Going to the Grand Design Parts Lookup website (there's a link at the top of this page) reveals this info:

Click image for larger version

Name:	GD Parts.JPG
Views:	1198
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	11353

Hard to see, but it's a WFCO 8955 series Power Center https://wfcoelectronics.com/product/wf-8955-55-amp/

The specs show it's a three stage converter charger.

The manual with all the info you'd ever want is here: https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conte...Manual-web.pdf

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Awesome, thank you very much for the reply!

Comment

Yes, the WFCO is 3-stage. But overall it's a lousy converter for boondocking and charging off a generator since it doesn't go into bulk mode easily.
        2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

mbopp, in your opinion, what would be a good option?

Comment

Progressive Dynamics makes very good replacement converters. The decision point will be whether or not you expect to use lithium batteries in the future. While you "can" use a regular flooded acid type converter on lithium batteries (it will be slow and not charge to full capacity), you cannot use a lithium converter on lead acid or AGM batteries.
            2017 310GK

Comment

I'm getting close to converting to a lithium system and have been intrigued with the AIMS converter to replace my WFCO converter in my Imagine. Its configurable to charge every battery type as well as 12 or 24 volt.

https://www.aimscorp.net/ac-converte...l-458-csa.html
              Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2020, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                I'm getting close to converting to a lithium system and have been intrigued with the AIMS converter to replace my WFCO converter in my Imagine. Its configurable to charge every battery type as well as 12 or 24 volt.

https://www.aimscorp.net/ac-converte...l-458-csa.html
                That looks good if you intend to go to lithium in steps but I don't really get the need to reconfigure your converter once you have moved to a "permanent" solution such as lithium.
                2017 310GK

Comment

JeffC,

I'm not moving to the large multi battery pack systems so if a failure occurs, I will not be able to rely on the other packs. For our needs, a single battery will work well for us. If I happen to be far from home, and I have a battery failure, I like the idea of having the flexibility to purchase a standard deep cycle battery while I wait for a warranty decision. Not trying to push a product on anyone but the AIMS charger has the capability to charge 12/24 and all battery types. For us this flexibility would work best.

Jim

Comment

My new LiFeP04 battery was just delivered and I charged it with the AIMS converter charger and noticed the fan is on all the time during charging. This would be expected while charging at 75 amps DC where I would not want the fan to be on for normal operation of 12V devices in the camper. The charger is not connected to the rig where this was a bench test.

I will be calling them today to discuss if the fan stays on for normal AC/DC conversion (non-charging). They describe the fan as being a smart fan so I need to gather information on its operation.

Anyone have a converter/charger for charging lithium batteries and does your fan stay on all the time after the battery has been topped off?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                      I will be calling them today to discuss if the fan stays on for normal AC/DC conversion (non-charging). They describe the fan as being a smart fan so I need to gather information on its operation.

Anyone have a converter/charger for charging lithium batteries and does your fan stay on all the time after the battery has been topped off?

Jim
                      The fans on my Progressive Dynamics 9170AL lithium converter don't stay on all the time. I've heard them on when charging at high amps, like 60A.

On the AIMS converter Features tab it does say: Smart fan, always on for maximizing charger performance.
                      Gene and Kim
                      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Gene,

I called AIMS tech support where they have not got back with me yet, but I also called their sales line (all sales reps answer right away) and they tell me the fan is on all the time. I asked why they are calling this a smart fan since this would imply it is thermostatically controlled. I'll wait for the tech call to confirm as I really like the flexibility this charger provides where is has current adjustments and will charge all battery types. If the fan stays on all the time I will return it and look for another unit such as your Progressive Dynamics unit.

Thank you,

Jim

Comment

Gene,

I looked up the specification on the progressive dynamics unit where their fan is on all the time as well. However they will control to a very low speed where this must not be heard from the occupants in the RV. This would be fine. The AIMS charger fan was on high when it moved to the float mode on the lithium battery. I'm still checking to see if this charger would have reduced the fan speed as some point. If the fan is on all the time and on a speed that can clearly be heard, I believe they should not call it a smart fan.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

The fans on my Progressive Dynamics 9170AL lithium converter don't stay on all the time. I've heard them on when charging at high amps, like 60A.

On the AIMS converter Features tab it does say: Smart fan, always on for maximizing charger performance.
                            Gene,

I spoke with AIMS tech support where they confirmed the fan stays on all the time and at high speed. I mentioned there is nothing smart about this fan and they should change the verbiage or make it variable speed as the Progressive unit. So I've already made plans to send it back through Amazon. Too bad since this charger monitors battery temp and will charge all battery types. Since you have confirmed the Progressive Dynamics model has a controlled fan I will order this model and will mount it in the passthrough. To still have the multi battery type capability, I'll pull the breaker on the WFCO unit and will leave it in place.

Valuable feedback from you Gene as always,

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cparr109 View Post
                              This discussions has kind of wandered from the OP question (like that has never happened before ) Just to go back to that question, the original converter (battery charger) is a 3 stage WFCO and the cooling fans only come on when the converter is putting out a lot of power.

Rob
                              Last edited by Cate&Rob; 02-14-2020, 06:35 PM.
                              Cate & Rob
                              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                              2015 Reflection 303RLS
                              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X