Dometic/Atwood Water Heater Will Not Run on Electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic/Atwood Water Heater Will Not Run on Electric

I have a 2022 Imagine with Dometic water heater. The propane side works fine. Electric side does not work. I bought it used so do not know if electric side has ever work. Control board is sending 12 VDC to the relay. Relay is closing. I don't seem to have the 115 VAC coming to the relay. I do have 115VAC at the breaker. Any thoughts on where the issue might be? Thanks

Originally posted by pwbeebe View Post
    I have a 2022 Imagine with Dometic water heater. The propane side works fine. Electric side does not work. I bought it used so do not know if electric side has ever work. Control board is sending 12 VDC to the relay. Relay is closing. I don't seem to have the 115 VAC coming to the relay. I do have 115VAC at the breaker. Any thoughts on where the issue might be? Thanks
    Your issue may be the heating element. It is small and similar to a home water heater element but much shorter. There is also a relay/control on the back side of the water heater which may be an issue.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

pwbeebe Welcome to the forum! I moved your post (and Brians reply) to their own thread.

I agree with Brian it is probably the element or the relay, if it was ever run with no water in it even for a second the element will be gone. I used to have one of these and my relay did just go on its own one day. Its an easy repair. Both the element and relay are on the "back" side of the water heater, inside the rig. You should have 120V there, and you should be able to read the resistance through the element to check it.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick replies, and moving to a new thread. I had an error in my first post. I do not seem to have 115 VAC coming to the relay. I have 12 VDC coming to the relay. I tested the relay and it seems to be working. The heating element shows 10.5 Ohms resistance. When I test the black wire that should be the AC power coming in, I see no voltage. I do have 115 VAC at the breaker.

Comment

pwbeebe

Is the water heater plugged in? It is a standard outlet & plug connection. Not uncommon for a dealer to unplug it as part of winterizing to protect the element from accidentally being turned on in an empty water heater.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

pwbeebe I agree with Rob, trace the power cord back and see if it is plugged in and if so, check that there is 120V at the outlet that feeds it.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

Double check that the reset button on the front (not all units have these) is not tripped either.
              Joseph
              Tow
              Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
              Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                Double check that the reset button on the front (not all units have these) is not tripped either.
                Worth checking but I think that's only on Suburban water heaters. My previous trailer had one like that.

Neil Citro

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I also thought it might be unplugged but haven't found the plug. I removed the access panel to the rear of the tank where you access the valves to bypass the tank but did not see a plug. I will look further.

Comment

Thanks so much for the quick replies. I also thought it might be unplugged but haven't found the plug. I removed the access panel to the rear of the tank where you access the valves to bypass the tank but did not see a plug. I will look further.

The cord coming out of the water heater should be pretty short and should plug into an outlet near it somewhere.

Neil Citro

Comment

If you would fill out your signature or post the model Imagine you have perhaps folks can help. I have a 5th wheel and the plug is behind the fall wall in the pass through. Also use the web to find your water heater model and see where the plug is,
                      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Look on the outside of the unit to see where the wiring is directed. MOST not ALL units are front connect on the interface, so the plug wire may be coming off the front of the unit not the back.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X