How Remove Broken Convenience Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Remove Broken Convenience Center

On our 2022 310GK, the convenience center, the tank level indicators all stopped working. It appears that the convenience center is a sub-panel of the switch panel. The failure appears to be that no tank indicators show anything. In addition the click sound, when a button is depressed stopped clicking.

No visible fuse issues. All lights and trailer functions appear to be working.

Can that convenience center sub panel be removed? If so how is it removed?

3,000 mile, two week trip in 10 days makes it important to fix.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex and Karen​
    Alex and Karen
    2022 GD Solitude 310GK, 8K, 2 AC w. Coleman SS, GMC Camera, 2 Yamaha EF2200iS Inverters
    2021 GMC 3500, Crew, L5P, Denali, SB, BW Slider, SRW

Originally posted by AlexAder View Post
    On our 2022 310GK, the convenience center, the tank level indicators all stopped working. It appears that the convenience center is a sub-panel of the switch panel. The failure appears to be that no tank indicators show anything. In addition the click sound, when a button is depressed stopped clicking.

No visible fuse issues. All lights and trailer functions appear to be working.

Can that convenience center sub panel be removed? If so how is it removed?

3,000 mile, two week trip in 10 days makes it important to fix.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex and Karen​
    Welcome to the forum -- please check out the Welcome Letter (linked off the home page) and fill out your signature line.

Normally the Convenience Center does not have a sub-panel--it's all one component. Does it look like my panel below or is it different? If different please post a picture.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	328
Size:	788.7 KB
ID:	113731
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Name:	20230603_142913.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	113737 Hi,

Thanks for the response. Please let me know if any more information is required. It feels like a separate box that pulls off the larger panel. I'm reluctant to try to pull it off without more knowledge.
      Attached Files
      Alex and Karen
      2022 GD Solitude 310GK, 8K, 2 AC w. Coleman SS, GMC Camera, 2 Yamaha EF2200iS Inverters

Comment

I would not pull that off. I would remove the screws on the perimeter of the whole panel.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Is that a shut down all the power.? It appears everything is 12v. HW heater is probably a remote relay.
          Alex and Karen

Comment

AlexAder -- I agree with Brian. Around the entire panel is a piece of trim that will pop off -- be careful -- easy to break. Underneath you'll find Robertson screws securing the panel to the cabinet. Behind it will be a maze of wires. There *might* be a hidden fuse back there (or not). If it's not an easy fix, then some in-depth troubleshooting will be required to determine if it's a loss of 12vDC or a loss of a ground (12vDC return).

Do you own a multimeter, know how to use, and familiar with troubleshooting circuits? If not this could easily get confusing to try and explain how to troubleshoot in a forum thread.

Howard

P.S. Be aware there's "live" 12vDC behind and connected to that panel, so proceed carefully when looking for the easy fix. Best practice is to turn off the converter (use the circuit breaker) and turn the battery disconnect to "OFF" (key removed). That will remove power to the Power Distribution Panel and also the Convenience Center. But always double-check...
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Thanks so much for all the help. It is working. I have to persuade my repair contractor to replace the button board which has all the plastic clips or figure out a way to hold the PC board in place.

The Convenience Center PC board is held in by 4 retention plastic clips. The clips are part of the PC board bracket and buttons that hold the PC board in and holds the Convenience Center to the larger panel. In the picture below, one of the left side clips is missing and the opposing clip isn't doing anything to hold in the PC board. When I hold the board in the bracket, all the buttons work. The green wire isn't in use.

Name:	20230603_164614.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	113750
              Alex and Karen

Comment

AlexAder -- thanks for the pic! Very interesting -- that's a configuration of that panel I haven't seen before. Really appreciate your post.

Comment

In a previous encounter with those plastic clips, One may have used rubber o-rings to help retain tension on them . You might be able to put a Zip tie around the back side of the panel to hold it in place, or use something like clear 3M VHB (this stuff is MEAN).

https://www.amazon.com/Mounting-Adhe...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Just remember rubbing alcohol (90% or better) is your best friend with tapes. The VHB conforms better to textured surfaces than some of the foam type.
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

So what fixed the issue? Had it become unplugged?
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    Not to brag or anything about my finances, but my bank calls me about every day to tell me my balance is OUTSTANDING!

Comment

Interested to hear how this goes for you as well AlexAder. My convenience center is similar, with a separate module in the larger panel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	control center.jpg Views:	0 Size:	73.4 KB ID:	129423

The rig is new to me, with empty holding tanks, so not sure yet if it's fully functional. I have noticed that while it is powered on, each tank shows empty when the corresponding button is pushed, but the battery shows low, even though I measure 12.9V at the input to the module with a meter. Gotta do some troubleshooting of the board - unsoldered/missing/burnt components are about all I might be able to detect with my dusty engineering skills.
                      Jeff & Janice
                      2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

BWSTGDS -- many here (including myself) find the reference lights on the Convenience Panel next-to-useless. Tank indicators are notoriously inaccurate and the battery indicator is not very precise.

How well does the battery monitor work that was shown in the your DC schematic? I'm unfamiliar with the model referenced ("ME-BMK"). As I'm sure you're aware at this point, the Victron shunts are a very popular choice (for good reasons) and will eliminate guessing when it comes to the state of the battery bank.

Howard

Comment

That's certainly true about the convenience panel. Thankfully, the shunt and ME-BMK battery monitor feed precise data to the ME-ARC remote display for my Magnum Energy inverter/charger, and so I rely on that.

About ready to move that panel to the kitchen near this existing control panel, adjacent to it, where the Maxxair fan control is - should have done that initially before mounting it in the den/bunkroom. Another 3D printer mission to create a blank faceplate to cover the hole soon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1399.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.0 KB ID:	129456
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1397.jpg Views:	0 Size:	101.5 KB ID:	129457
                          Jeff & Janice
                          2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

I haven’t pressed the tank level buttons in years. Knowing that whatever they read will be wrong just raises by blood pressure .

Rob
                            Cate & Rob
                            (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                            X