No announcement yet.

Wall scorching behind HighPointe micro/convection 2018 310-GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another 337 on the copart lot. Another fridge or a microwave? You be the judge.
    Attached Files

Comment

To close out this story, at least for me, and for now... When last we left Little Nell tied to the railroad tracks (post #6 in this thread), I had repaired the fuse in the Highpointe and was going to cancel the Sharp replacement. Well, the fuse blew again in another day or two, so we ended up not cancelling the Sharp (MUCH has been elided out of the Sharp story!). The Sharp arrived after an extended delay, and the shipping box and unit were badly damaged. Contacted Amazon, and they immediately credited our account and didn't want the unit back.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200514_145812.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	23306 One of many cabinet dings.

After a fair amount of additional research, we ended up getting a Bosch HMV8053U, a 1.8 cu ft unit. It is slightly larger, but with the same width. I had to remove the window frame, pull down shade, and valence to install it. I will be able to reinstall the frame without modification. Not sure whether the shade will need modification, nor whether I will be able to remount the valence at all.

I ran the unit on the counter for an extended period, ~1/2 hour, and while the back was hot, it was nowhere near as hot as my memory was of the Highpointe. The back has a waffle contour (see pic below), so little of the back is actually in contact with the wall. Interestingly, the pattern has the dimples going in, with the perimeter of each being against the wall. This seemed counter-intuitive to me. If the dimples were out, there would be less contact with the wall, and there would be air channels for convective cooling. Not sure whether I'm explaining that clearly; I hope the picture helps.

Here are some pictures of where we are now. I still have to reinstall the window trim and shade—but we're enjoying having a convection / microwave after about 7 weeks without!

Name:	IMG_20200626_140913.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	23307 Cabinet back on the Bosch, with a dimpled / waffle pattern. Dimples go in.

Name:	IMG_20200626_135302.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	23308 Mounting rail is a little over an inch lower. Window frame still (just) fits below it.

Name:	IMG_20200626_151410.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	23309 What success looks like! Bring on the popcorn!
      Al and Kathe
      :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
      2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
      Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Comment

Looks nice. How are you venting it? It appears from the installation instructions it can be modified to go out the top or back?
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
          Looks nice. How are you venting it? It appears from the installation instructions it can be modified to go out the top or back?
          The 2018 310-GK is not externally vented, and we were advised by GDRV that the layout of the wall wouldn't allow just cutting a new hole to vent. We didn't test that, we took them at their word. So like its predecessor, this oven is vented into the rig. The oven comes preconfigured for internal venting, with instructions to change it for back or top vent if desired.
          Al and Kathe

Comment

Originally posted by lobsters View Post

The 2018 310-GK is not externally vented, and we were advised by GDRV that the layout of the wall wouldn't allow just cutting a new hole to vent. We didn't test that, we took them at their word. So like its predecessor, this oven is vented into the rig. The oven comes preconfigured for internal venting, with instructions to change it for back or top vent if desired.
            This may sound off the wall, but what about venting through the roof, or is the unit in a slide. You could go through the upper cabinet. Just a crazy thought.
            Keith
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yes, in the 310-GK, the kitchen is in the driver side slide. Otherwise would be a good idea.
              Al and Kathe

Comment

Working...
              X