88 (overheating) error code on fireplace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 (overheating) error code on fireplace

I have a 2020 grand design reflection 28BH. I purchased this trailer in June of last year. In October we used this trailer and was able to to use the fireplace, heat function.
    However, now the fireplace is flashing “88” when you turn on the heating portion. If you try to change it via the unit or remote it still flashes 88. It flashes this immediately after turning on, not after being run.
    The lighting function works.
    After taking this into the dealership they are indicating it’s working fine when removed and that it’s due to the fireplace overheating from poor airflow. They want to cut my cabinets to create more airflow.
    My question is, why is it “overheating” when it is occurring immediately? It’s not even running to overheat.
    so, if this is due to airflow, why would it have run previously? What changed?
    I was told it’s a bad design. However, I have been searching and I am not seeing people complain about this.
    I don’t want to just start cutting holes in my new cabinets if that is not what the issue even is.
    Thoughts? Does this design really have this problem?
    Thanks for your help
    Last edited by Natalie_1182; 02-07-2020, 07:18 PM.

Originally posted by Natalie_1182 View Post
    I have a 2020 grand design reflection 28BH. I purchased this trailer in June of last year. In October we used this trailer and was able to to use the fireplace, heat function.
    However, now the fireplace is flashing “88” when you turn on the heating portion. If you try to change it via the unit or remote it still flashes 88. It flashes this immediately after turning on, not after being run.
    After taking this into the dealership they are indicating it’s working fine when removed and that it’s due to the fireplace overheating from poor airflow. They want to cut my cabinets to create more airflow.
    My question is, why is it “overheating” when it is occurring immediately? It’s not even running to overheat.
    I was told it’s a bad design. However, I have been searching and I am not seeing people complain about this.
    I don’t want to just start cutting holes in my new cabinets if that is not what the issue even is.
    Thanks for your help
    First, welcome to the forum and sorry you are having issues with your fireplace. Note your post apparently was edited right away which triggers this forum's software to mark the post "unapproved". I fixed it for you!

Before discussing the specifics, though, you might consider never going near that dealership again. Cut holes in your cabinets? I suspect GD Customer Service will have an issue with that "repair". Don't do it!

I'm going to "tag" a Grand Design representative that monitors this forum. Since it is Friday you may not hear back from her until Monday, but if you'll send her your trailer's VIN number (private message is best) she can look up the unit you have and, depending on warranty status, offer a solution.

(The 88 code does mean the blower is overheating, but obviously it is not if it flashes this code upon startup.)

GDRV-Megan -- can you assist?

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you for fixing my post!
      Just cutting holes made no sense to me since it was happening when I first turned it on. And my new cabinets. I want to be sure first.

yes, I can send my VIN and what ever information needed. It all should be under warranty and this was purchased brand new in June last year. I even have video.

Thank you for all your help!

Now to go get my stuff back before any damage is done at the dealership! 😉

Comment

Natalie_1182

Welcome to our owner's forum! x2 on Howard's advice to not let this dealership cut holes for "ventilation". There is no airflow in/out of the back of the fireplace. Air in and out are both through the front of the fireplace itself. Your fireplace may have something blocking airflow, or more likely, a faulty over temperature sensor. Contact GDRV customer service directly, or Megan will sort this out. This will absolutely be under warranty based on the purchase date you have provided.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Natalie_1182

Welcome to our owner's forum! x2 on Howard's advice to not let this dealership cut holes for "ventilation". There is no airflow in/out of the back of the fireplace. Air in and out are both through the front of the fireplace itself. Your fireplace may have something blocking airflow, or more likely, a faulty over temperature sensor. Contact GDRV customer service directly, or Megan will sort this out. This will absolutely be under warranty based on the purchase date you have provided.

Rob
          Um, sorry, but the Graystone fireplace in our Imagine takes fresh air in through the back. I was troubleshooting why the heat would cut out and found this when I pulled the fireplace. The solution was 1) cut an extra hole behind the fireplace (not visible) and 2) the pop-up TV must be up for airflow.
          2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

Originally posted by mbopp View Post
            Um, sorry, but the Graystone fireplace in our Imagine takes fresh air in through the back. I was troubleshooting why the heat would cut out and found this when I pulled the fireplace. The solution was 1) cut an extra hole behind the fireplace (not visible) and 2) the pop-up TV must be up for airflow.
            Interesting. What model do you have? The one in my 315RLTS is the F2611E. There are many models on Greystone's website: https://www.wayinterglobal.com/products/fireplaces/

Natalie_1182 -- any idea which model you have in your 28BH? According to GD Parts Lookup it could be either of the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	This.JPG
Views:	10267
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	12210

Click image for larger version

Name:	That.JPG
Views:	10426
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	12211

There is definitely an airflow source in the top of my F2611E (as shown in the installation diagrams of the manual). Product manuals are available here: https://www.wayinterglobal.com/produ...oduct-manuals/

I still advise the OP to not allow their dealer to make a modification to their trailer without hearing from GD directly that providing more airflow is an approved repair.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

730050, looks like logs burning. Mine does not vent out the back.

Comment

730050, looks like logs burning. Mine does not vent out the back.
                I scanned the attached manual that came with my trailer, even though it's different from what is actually in trailer. (I can't explain that!) Not much in the manual other than Customer Service info on page 6. More FYI than anything else--I'm sure GDRV-Megan will get you taken care of on Monday. A fireplace failure is not uncommon (unfortunately).

Everlight EF15-25C Electric Fir - Everlight.pdf

Comment

Good afternoon everyone! I am looking into this right now. I'll post as soon as I have more info.

Comment

Thanks for your help
                    You are correct in your statement, that if it was overheating, it would take time for the code to come up. Grand Design generally would just advise your dealer to replace the fireplace. Please let your dealer know that Grand Design has advised you to replace your fireplace. I will make note in our system under your VIN. Thanks!

Comment

I had the same error on mine. I just removed the unit. Opened the back of fire place, Moved the fan manually. Put the back back on. Installed the unit. Everything worked again. I think the fan has a dead spot. If the fan don't run, error code 88

Comment

I know I’m late to the game, but this happened to me this morning. After hunting around in this forum, I searched on the web, and saw that if you turn off the breaker to the fireplace, wait 30 seconds or so, and turn it back on, it would reset itself. It worked for me! I just wanted to leave this for the next person that it happens to. Hope it helps!
                        Last edited by bodynmotion; 08-04-2021, 02:46 PM. Reason: Spelling
                        Mike

2019 Reflection 28BH
                        2017 RAM 4X4 6.7L Crew Cab

Comment

Good morning all,

2020 GD Reflection 297RSTS

We’re full timers and are just starting to experience some fall temps in northern Montana, we ran the fireplace/heater yesterday and it was running fine, shut it off overnight and when we got up this morning it would start and you could see the heating element start to glow but the fan was not running. Within a few seconds it shut down with a flashing 88 code along with the C and F designators. I tried cycling power for a few minutes and no-go. Also pulled the unit out of the wall and thoroughly cleaned the fan, still no-go. Looked for internal fuses and I don’t see any.

Is a full replacement the only option or is there somewhere to get parts?

Thanks in advance!

​​​​​​​Pat
                          2020 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
                          2019 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
                          Full timers from Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by bodynmotion View Post
                            I know I’m late to the game, but this happened to me this morning. After hunting around in this forum, I searched on the web, and saw that if you turn off the breaker to the fireplace, wait 30 seconds or so, and turn it back on, it would reset itself. It worked for me! I just wanted to leave this for the next person that it happens to. Hope it helps!
                            it just happened to mine! I bought a used Reflection 150 series with this fireplace last month. No manuals so I’m grateful for this forum. I’ll try the breaker first, fingers crossed! Been working fine up till now and I’ve used it a lot, not always with heat, mainly the logs on because my old dog loves laying in front of it!

Comment

Update… breaker worked, thanks, bodynmotion

Comment

Working...
                              X