Gas oven Furrion junk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas oven Furrion junk

I have a new 2019 385 solitude.It has a Furrion gas oven.It doesn’t even come close to holding temperature. Set at 400° it varies from 340 to 440°. Call Furrion and they said that a 10° variable is acceptable to them for every hundred degrees of oven temperature setting. Well it might be acceptable to them but not to me. They refused to do anything about it. Anybody else having the same issue. On top of this, I’ve been told by Gran Design that there is not another manufacturers product that will fit.So I can’t even replace it if I want to. Looking for a viable solution. Love my Gran Design, however this is is not a good reflection on them.

Llmk100
    Agreed that RV ovens are not "residential" quality in insulation, uniform heating or temperature control. This is the "nature of the beast".
    I am not familiar with your Furrion model, but our Atwood only heats from below . . . this is a key limitation.
    We use a large ceramic plate above the burner and allow generous time for the oven to reach and begin to maintain the set temperature.
    Even with the above, we find it necessary to turn most things front-to-back during cooking to even out temperature differences.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

It's not just Grand Design that has these issues. There really isn't a good RV oven on the market. I also have a ceramic plate in our Suburban oven like Rob does. But the temperature varies too much like yours does. When I'm baking biscuits, I need flip them over when they are about 1/2 done so that the don't get scorched on the bottom and raw on the top. At least on the Furrion oven, you have an igniter. We have to get down on our hands and knees and light the pilot light in our ovens.

We have pretty much given up on the gas oven, and now do most of our baking in the convection oven/microwave. It produces much better results. But the gas oven does make a good place to store things.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If you do a bit of searching you can find small (apartment) gas ovens/ ranges - 20" wide or so (GE, LG, Bosh, etc). There are others made in Europe for their RV industry. Some are separate from the cook top. We rarely use our oven so it is not an issue for us.

Hope this helps

PS the ovens mentioned are natural gas mostly so probably will need to be converted to LP
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

The oven is so small in my 2600rb I'm not sure I'll ever use it. I would be happier with just a propane cook top and an open space below. I could find my own air fryer/toaster oven to fit that space. Yes that would be going from propane to electric but I could deal with that.

Charles and Susan
          2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
          Andersen Hitch
          2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Agreed that the oven space is more suited to shallow pan or baking sheet cooking. We still find lots of these types of uses for ours.
            There is definitely a learning curve more similar to cooking on a grill than just throwing something in the oven at home and setting the timer.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Llmk100 View Post
              I have a new 2019 385 solitude.It has a Furrion gas oven.It doesn’t even come close to holding temperature. Set at 400° it varies from 340 to 440°. Call Furrion and they said that a 10° variable is acceptable to them for every hundred degrees of oven temperature setting. Well it might be acceptable to them but not to me. They refused to do anything about it. Anybody else having the same issue. On top of this, I’ve been told by Gran Design that there is not another manufacturers product that will fit.So I can’t even replace it if I want to. Looking for a viable solution. Love my Gran Design, however this is is not a good reflection on them.
              We were able to get ours replaced under warranty in 2018. I guess GD still felt embarrassed back then. . . New oven, same issues. We use a ceramic stone now. Basically still have the same issues with wild temperature swings and inability to reach higher temps at all. Poor design or just cheap components because the industry can get away with it, I guess.

I feel your pain.

-Steve
              2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
              Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
              2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
              18k B&W Companion, non-slider
              640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
              Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
              Somerset, WI

Comment

This months Trailer Life has an article on appliances (oven, cook top, washer/dryer, etc)
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

We solved the Furrion oven temp swing the cheap way, a $.75 1'x1' ceramic tile from Habitat for Humanity. DW likes the 1/4 sheet pans for the TT oven too.

Comment

SOB is using an Insignia "residential" Stove/Oven. Looks something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	29600501-89B8-4383-9678-72370228EEF9.jpg
Views:	6375
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	13257
                    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by OffToHavasu View Post
                      Insignia "residential" Stove/Oven.
                      Hmm. Went to this web-site: http://www.insigniaproducts.com, but there were no ovens. Then I found this: "INSIGNIA is the Best Buy brand, and it's made in China. ..."

If anybody has more info about this oven, I'd be interested.

-Steve

2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
                      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
                      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
                      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
                      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
                      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
                      Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Hmm. Went to this web-site: http://www.insigniaproducts.com, but there were no ovens. Then I found this: "INSIGNIA is the Best Buy brand, and it's made in China. ..."

If anybody has more info about this oven, I'd be interested.

-Steve

I tried looking and found nothing. Maybe too new? LOL
                        2020 Momentum 351M
                        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

steve&renee
                          Hi Steve,

If you Google "apartment size gas range" there are several that look like they could work. They would likely have to be re-jetted to propane from natural gas, but this is not uncommon in rural areas.

Rob
                          Cate & Rob
                          2015 Reflection 303RLS
                          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I can't confirm it yet, but I believe that GDRV may be going to a residential style range/oven or has already done so. As soon as I confirm it, I'll post the brand and info if it's true.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

More importantly Jim, for those that already have existing "less than great" oven, see if the dimensions will fit in the existing space.
                              2020 Momentum 351M
                              2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                              X