refrigerator interior fan noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refrigerator interior fan noise

Just over a week ago purchased a 2020 Solitude 310GK.....we are currently plugged into shore power and I have noticed the interior fan for refrigerator(propane/electric 18 cubic feet ,I think) is very loud. I realize this is a fan to help move the air inside for better cooling. But this one is noticeably loud with door closed you can still hear it running...also it seems to constantly run. Current temp outside is 50 degrees and setting on frig is "6" and we have been plugged in for 5 days so this is not just an initial cool down..
    We have owned 3 other 5th wheels over the last 15 years....and never had this kind of noise from a RV frig. they have all been extremely quiet.
    Just trying to ask if there is some setting or other way I can reduce the noise or run time for the interior fan? any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by RV4FUN View Post
    Just over a week ago purchased a 2020 Solitude 310GK.....we are currently plugged into shore power and I have noticed the interior fan for refrigerator(propane/electric 18 cubic feet ,I think) is very loud. I realize this is a fan to help move the air inside for better cooling. But this one is noticeably loud with door closed you can still hear it running...also it seems to constantly run. Current temp outside is 50 degrees and setting on frig is "6" and we have been plugged in for 5 days so this is not just an initial cool down..
    We have owned 3 other 5th wheels over the last 15 years....and never had this kind of noise from a RV frig. they have all been extremely quiet.
    Just trying to ask if there is some setting or other way I can reduce the noise or run time for the interior fan? any help would be appreciated.
    What model refrigerator? The parts lookup site (link on menu above) shows its a Norcold?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Norcold.JPG
Views:	838
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	13370
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

RV4FUN
      The fan noise that you are hearing is likely coming from the cooling fan(s) on the back of the fridge. There can be up to four of these on the larger fridges. If the fans are pushed up against the back wall, this can transmit more noise to the interior of the trailer. These fans should not need to run continuously, particularly once the fridge is down to temperature and outside weather is cool. There may be a problem with the thermal switch (usually attached to a fin or pipe on the back of the fridge) that controls these fans.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I had a similar issue, and asked for it to be looked at while I had the trailer in for some other warranty issues. They found that one of the mountings was broken on one of the fans. They had to order the part and will fix it when I get back from my next trip. We have also had an issue with the freezer not being cold enough. The fridge is set at the highest (lowest temp) setting, and gets to about 35. The freezer will get to 5 if it’s lucky. They will be taking out part of the baffle and adding more insulation around the freezer when they replace the fan mount. Mine is a 12 cf Dometic.
        Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
        Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
        2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
        Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
        Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Appreciate the feedback. Yes, it is a Norcold 2118 SSM2. Just was out checking it and the interior fan is not running thus no noise...ambient outside right now is 38 so not surprising but it will get to close to 60 today so I will check it later. I am very sure this is an interior fan issue as when I open the door I can hear it coming from the ceiling fan in the top of the interior of the frig. I have already checked to make sure the "fan" was fastened securely to the top....FYI the temp setting of the frig may be set a bit lower than I will keep it at for normal everyday use. Will update a bit later today.

Comment

I was just outside (5th wheel is kept plugged in at personal residence) and the interior ceiling refrigerator fan was running and making the whirling noise many fans make. It is secure to the ceiling....and does not to be out of "balance" or hitting only on one blade.....as the noise stays the same when the fan is on. Maybe this is normal???......last trailer also had a Norcold 12 cubic foot model and even at 7 years old it just ran like a champ and did not make this kind of "whirl" noise.

Comment

Originally posted by RV4FUN View Post
              Check the flapper bar on the left side door. If it isn't closing completely, there will be a gap which will let more of the fan noise out and not to mention the cold out and warm air in. This is a very common problem with these model fridges.
              -
              Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
              2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
              2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
              Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Working...
              X