Norcold 121X “LI” “oP” error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norcold 121X “LI” “oP” error

We just took delivery of a 2020 Reflection 287RSTL. Second day the refrigerator stopped working. Panel gave error code in heading. Dealer advised how to reset high temp limit switch with magnet. Refrigerator was set on 6 on a range of 0-9.

Does anyone know if low or high voltage at campground can cause this fault?

Usually not. These so-called "recall boxes" (high temp sensor/cut-off units) are prone to failure. You need a REALLY strong magnet (think cow magnet or something big from the co-op or hardware store). Place the magnet in several places on the side of the box and, if it can be reset, that should do it. If not, work through your dealer or customer service. Norcold insists on sending the box to a certified tech - they won't send it to the consumer (a liability/CYA thing).

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Can high voltage at a campground cause this problem?

Probably not. Why? The electronics in RV refrigerators run on the 12 volt system, the 120VAC only powers the electric heating element(s) and if present the ice maker.

DANGER!!! Do not reset the overheat the control box before inspecting for the signs of coolant leaks, yellow powder and/or the smell of ammonia.

These boxes are designed to shut the system down when it overheats from a coolant leak.

False trips typically occur after the box has gotten wet from washing the coach or a heavy rain with the wind blowing just right. Surprisingly the board doesn’t false trip when it gets wet, the false trip occurs as the board dries. To prevent the box/board from getting wet, cover it with foil tape used to seal ductwork.

Colan Arnold
      2016 Momentum 397TH
      Full time since 2016

Comment

I found the same problem this weekend after a hard storm. Lightning strike caused a false “Li Op” error and a tech says this is somewhat common on GDRV’s. He said to place the unit in LP mode after making sure there’s no leak in the service bay and using a magnet over the red led on the controller will usually reset the switch. He also draped a plastic storage bags over the controller to help reduce the exposure to rain water. Seems like a $.02 fix that could be incorporated in the build of the RV. Hopefully the 2 pictures are included. One shows the small round magnet used to reset and the other shows the draped bag. Hope this helps you

Comment

Originally posted by Fulltimers View Post
          I found the same problem this weekend after a hard storm. Lightning strike caused a false “Li Op” error and a tech says this is somewhat common on GDRV’s. He said to place the unit in LP mode after making sure there’s no leak in the service bay and using a magnet over the red led on the controller will usually reset the switch. He also draped a plastic storage bags over the controller to help reduce the exposure to rain water. Seems like a $.02 fix that could be incorporated in the build of the RV. Hopefully the 2 pictures are included. One shows the small round magnet used to reset and the other shows the draped bag. Hope this helps you
          FYI, this error is common in Norcold refrigerators regardless of the RV brand, not just GD. (GD and all the RV manufacturers don't build refrigerators, they buy them from component OEMs.)
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I had this error occur on my Norcold the other day. There was no water event of any kind?!

Inspection revealed no leaks, yellow powder, or smell of ammonia.

Resetting with a magnet on the right side of the red light worked.

Just wanted to add this tidbit;

I didn't have a magnet and was miles away from any store that might have sold one. Then remembered the strong magnet that I have on our bathroom door. :-)

I am concerned about the cause of the trip and hope it was a one off event?!
            Steve, Karen, and Taz (4 legger)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            • 2018 Granddesign 328M
            • 2017 Ford 6.7 DRW

Comment

Working...
            X