FAQ - Mounting TVs - TV Prepped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAQ - Mounting TVs - TV Prepped

Good afternoon! I have seen the same question pop up on here in multiple threads. I was hoping to make this a little easier so a separate thread didn't need to be created for every single floor plan.

If you're installing a TV in the TV prepped area in a unit, here's some useful info:

If the TV prepped location is on an EXTERIOR wall:
    There is a STEEL EGS PLATE that is 15" x 15" (14 gauge). You can use a magnet to locate. When drilling into this, please use a 1" or smaller screw. The TVs that we install in production are roughly 14 lbs. Do not exceed 50 lbs with the TV and the mounting bracket in total.

If the TV prepped location is on an INTERIOR wall:
    The backer is plywood and not metal. You will need to tap on the wall until you find a solid area. We still suggest the 1" or smaller screws and to not exceed 50 lbs between the TV and the mounting bracket.

A helpful tip from our service department:
    Wrap a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood in felt and anchor to the wall. Use at least 4 screws in the corners and maybe 2 more in the middle , these screws should be at least 3/4" longer than the thickness of the plywood used. Then mount the TV bracket to this plywood. This method will distribute the load to a broader area on the wall instead of the small area of most TV mounting brackets. Use 1" to 1-1/2" screws depending on the thickness of the plywood. This will help to prevent all the extra bouncing that may happen while traveling.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions!
    Last edited by GDRV-Megan; 03-17-2020, 09:49 AM.

Hello Megan,

I've tried to use a very strong magnet to located the steel plate in the wall but it was only catching the staples holding up the walls. Could it be that on my Transcend 29TBS that the backer in the master bedroom exterior wall is wood and not steel?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnHolmes85 View Post
      Hello Megan,

I've tried to use a very strong magnet to located the steel plate in the wall but it was only catching the staples holding up the walls. Could it be that on my Transcend 29TBS that the backer in the master bedroom exterior wall is wood and not steel?
      Yes, your Transcend is an exception to what GDRV-Megan posted. The backer in your unit uses 5/8" plywood and is 14 7/8 wide x 25 3/4 tall. The backer is centered above the window according to the information I can access.

A call to Grand Design Customer Service will verify this information. Have your VIN handy as they will need it. 574-825-9679
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

What kind of screws should be used on the exterior STEEL EGS PLATE? Customer service only said to avoid self drilling metal screws.

Comment

Rob Cate&Rob and Jim TucsonJim have shared screw size, type, length, etc. in posts over the years. Hopefully one or both will be gracious enough to share their feedback. As large as fits the TV mount holes; aggressive thread; and length about 1 1/4" as I recall. This is what ours is mounted with.

Dan
          Dan & Carol
          2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
          2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Megan stated above that the Interior Location is Plywood and no metal. I called Grand Design and the rep told me the bedroom mount had plywood backer with 15"x15" aluminum plate. I own the 23G and this is an interior wall. Planning on mounting a TV this weekend and need to know if I need sheet metal screws or wood screws! THX!!

Comment

Originally posted by MJD View Post
              Megan stated above that the Interior Location is Plywood and no metal. I called Grand Design and the rep told me the bedroom mount had plywood backer with 15"x15" aluminum plate. I own the 23G and this is an interior wall. Planning on mounting a TV this weekend and need to know if I need sheet metal screws or wood screws! THX!!
              Wood screws will do the job. IF there is an aluminum plate in the wall it will be very thin, and I am not aware of Grand Design putting aluminum plates in the wall, not that it can not happen with supply issues recently. They have been putting a galvanized steel plate on the exterior walls. You could check to see what it is with a magnet. Also if you drill a small hole , 1/16" diameter or smaller if you can, you will be able to know how thick the material is, plate and plywood, by how long it takes to drill thru. Be careful as not to drill too far, 1/2" or so should get you thru. Also the small hole will help you locate the backer as the stickers are sometimes not placed in the center.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by MJD View Post
                I'd like to know who you spoke with, if you can recall, so that we can educate them and provide them with correct information. Interior walls only have the plywood backers. Exterior walls have the metal backers where we have prepped for the TV. If you'd like to send me information of who you spoke with, or a phone number that you called FROM, we can pull phone records. Please send to smservice@granddesignrv.com attn: Megan. Thank you!

Comment

I have a 2022 278BH , What is the spec for mounting TV in bedroom is there a wood backer or metal backer ..

thanks
                  joe kollander

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Kollander View Post
                    I have a 2022 278BH , What is the spec for mounting TV in bedroom is there a wood backer or metal backer ..

thanks
                    joe kollander
                    If the mount sticker is located on an interior wall, wall between bedroom and bathroom, then the backer will be wood. If the sticker is located on an exterior wall then the backer will be a think sheet of metal, a magnet will usually find the metal in the exterior wall, do this so you get to the center of the metal backer, sometimes the sticker is not placed in the center. Use #10 sheet metal screws for the metal backer and wood screws for the wood backer, drill a pilot hole for either. You can use a stud finder or just tap on the wall with your knuckle to help find the wood backer, hollow sound means no backer, solid sound means backer.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Trying to locate the TV backer in the bedroom of a 2022 247BH and magnets are not working. Its on an outside wall. Is this model steel or wood?

Comment

Originally posted by txmajo View Post
                        Trying to locate the TV backer in the bedroom of a 2022 247BH and magnets are not working. Its on an outside wall. Is this model steel or wood?
                        Welcome to the forum--please check out the Welcome Letter to New Members if you have a moment: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Your Transcend is an exception since it is an all-wood (vs composite/foam) construction. The backer is directly above the window and is 5/8" plywood. The backer should measure about 14 7/8" x 22 3/4", with the center of the backer above the center of the window.

Hope that helps...

Howard
                        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Just a point of clarification for those reading this post in the future. All of the TV backers will be located on an "interior wall", meaning the screws for the television mount will be installed on the interior side of the wall.

When GDRV says interior/exterior walls, they are referring to what is on the opposite side of the wall. Imagine you were to drill a hole all the way through the wall (don't do this), and the tip of the drill bit was still inside the RV, it's an "interior wall". If the tip of the drill bit were outside the RV, it's an exterior wall.

I hope that clears things up.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I have a 2022 transcend xplor 265BH and am looking to I stall a TV in the bedroom. How big is the backer in this location? It is very high on the wall and I will need to add a piece of plywood to drop the TV mount down lower.

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker82nd View Post
                              I have a 2022 transcend xplor 265BH and am looking to I stall a TV in the bedroom. How big is the backer in this location? It is very high on the wall and I will need to add a piece of plywood to drop the TV mount down lower.
                              According to the info available to me, the backer is centered above the window. The dimensions are below.

Click image for larger version  Name:	backer.JPG Views:	0 Size:	6.2 KB ID:	92877

Edit: 22 3/4 is the height, 14 7/8 the width.

Please take a moment to read the Welcome Letter if you'd like to learn how to fill in your signature line and get the most from your time here on GD's (Technical) Forum. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard

Comment

Working...
                              X