W/D installation in 2020 310GK-R and correspondence with GD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W/D installation in 2020 310GK-R and correspondence with GD

I don't know if this will be of interest or use to anyone, but I thought I'd write up our experience earlier this week with a washer/dryer installation in our new 2020 Solitude 310GK-R. Among the several reasons we settled on the 310GK floor plan (moving from our Reflection 337) was the fact that it has a separate closet for the washer and dryer. We hadn't planned on installing the W/D so soon, but the pandemic and resulting reluctance to frequent the public laundromat down the road prompted us to act as quickly as possible.

If we had to get stuck someplace long-term during the pandemic, we couldn't be in a better situation. Augusta, GA, is where our health care providers are (we launched from the CSRA when we went full-time). There are at least two good tertiary-level hospitals here. This is where CSRA Camperland is located - our Grand Design dealer who we trust and who treats us well. Finally, we're "stuck" in our new Solitude with all the new features we wanted.

So, for the W/D installation...

We packed up early and were at the back gate to the dealership a little before 0800 (parts and service have been deemed essential in Georgia). We expected to spend the morning there hanging out in our Zero Gravity chairs reading our Kindles, etc. The items on the to-do list were the W/D installation, replace the propane regulator (switching mechanism and/or indicator not working), and replace the broken sewer line cap. Half a day, right? We finally pulled out around 4:30 to head for the CAT scales and the park. Here's why:

Both the bedroom and W/D doors and door frames had to be removed to get the machines into the bedroom and in the W/D closet. Both door frames are about 1/2 inch too narrow for the Splendide separates and 1/4 inch too narrow for the Whirlpool models we selected. The closet is also not quite deep enough at what would be the right rear of the machines. As a result, the front wall in the closet had to be removed and modified. In addition, it is impossible to use the location where Grand Design has placed the sticker for the dryer vent and the vent has to be rerouted behind the front wall with several adapters. This is because the position of the sticker for the vent is covered by the side of the washer when in place - no room for a vent hose or fittings. In the end, it took about 6-1/2 hours (two certified techs with 70 years combined experience) to complete the installation.

A friend on the forum suggested that I email Jerry McCarthy and describe the installation process and issues, which I did after business hours yesterday evening. This morning when I opened my email, there was Jerry's response! It turns out that they had heard of these difficulties from several other 310 owners and their Solitude engineer was working on the necessary redesign of the doors, the W/D closet, and the dryer vent routing. Jerry copied someone on the Solitude team who followed up with confirmation that the changes had been incorporated but he didn't have an exact start date yet.

I draw two conclusions from our experience with this: 1) If you are a weekend warrior and don't plan to install a washer and dryer, I would still recommend a pre-redesign 310. If you want to install a W/D in a pre-redesign unit, just know what is involved; and 2) to me, this is yet another example of how Grand Design interacts with their customers - responsive, straightforward, and cordial.

Prior to the pandemic, we had been perfectly happy (for over 4-1/2 years) using a laundromat or the campground/park laundry to get everything done in less than two hours every week to 10 days. That said, we are already enjoying not having to leave the rig to do laundry and feel much safer under the circumstances.

Rob
    Rob & Laura
    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
    2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
    (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rob - thanks, for sharing this. Others have done so as well over the years in the other sandbox.

As I recall, Brian bertschb shared the same issues in another thread on this forum a few weeks ago. I seem to recall Megan providing feedback but not to the extent of which Jerry and the Solitude team member did with you. Good to hear they are addressing this for not just the 310 but other Solitudes and maybe Momentums as well. Gotta love Jerry and GDRV !

By the way, did you get your BR TV not working resolved ?

Dan
    Last edited by Canyonlight; 04-10-2020, 07:00 AM.
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
      ... By the way, did you get your BR TV not working resolved ?

Dan
      No. I did the trouble-shooting as far as I could but, since we don't really watch TV in the bedroom, I don't think it's worth another trip to the dealer. I've got an Amazon FireStick set up on it if Laura wants to stream something up there, though.

Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
        A friend on the forum suggested that I email Jerry McCarthy and describe the installation process and issues..

I draw two conclusions from our experience with this: 1) If you are a weekend warrior and don't plan to install a washer and dryer, I would still recommend a pre-redesign 310. If you want to install a W/D in a pre-redesign unit, just know what is involved; and 2) to me, this is yet another example of how Grand Design interacts with their customers - responsive, straightforward, and cordial.

Prior to the pandemic, we had been perfectly happy (for over 4-1/2 years) using a laundromat or the campground/park laundry to get everything done in less than two hours every week to 10 days. That said, we are already enjoying not having to leave the rig to do laundry and feel much safer under the circumstances.
        Great post, Rob. Jerry's response does not surprise me.

That you and Laura are liking the washer and dryer in the camper doesn't surprise me, either. Now that Fran has the experience of her own appliances I know there's no chance of ever having an RV (whether trailer or motorized) without a w/d setup.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Canyonlight View Post
          As I recall, Brian bertschb shared the same issues in another thread on this forum a few weeks ago.
          I did bring this up earlier but the response from Grand Design was shall we say- less than helpful. I did appreciate Megan looking into it but it appears her contacts gave her incomplete or inaccurate feedback. As Rob points out, it will take some major work to get a washer and dryer installed and get it vented properly. In Rob's case, it took 13 man-hours- for experienced techs! Holy cow!!! I knew it was a major project just by looking at the closet. That's why I suggested Megan have her team actually try a full installation of a separate washer and vented dryer. As I told Megan, the "washer and dryer closet" is too narrow, too shallow and has no provision for venting the dryer. I'm not even sure how anybody can turn the water on and off. I haven't looked into that yet but it seems like the valves are blocked once you slide the washer and dryer in.

Second Chance - Did your dealer techs re-route the water valves so you can operate them?

BTW, Jerry's response doesn't surprise me either. He was amazing to work with to arrange transporting my rig to MORryde prior to shipping. Jordan (Solitude product manager?) was also awesome to work with. I told both of them their amazing customer service is why we have purchased three Grand Design 5th wheels.

Thanks for sharing your experience Rob. I added a washer and dryer to our two previous GD units. I did have to modify the door trim on the 373FB so I could pull out the soap dispenser but that was easy (although it should have been unnecessary). I'm NOT looking forward to doing this work on the 310GK and I'm too cheap to pay for 13 hours of labor for somebody else to do it for me!

Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Working...
          X