Conversion of Dometic 1350 to Compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conversion of Dometic 1350 to Compressor

After our Dometic 1350 4-door refrigerator failed causing us to have to return early from our winter trip in February, DW declared the refrigerator dead to her. Even though it came back to life, we decided to replace it. I considered going with a residential refrigerator but decided to go with the JC Refrigeration conversion since a DC compressor is energy efficient and they have been very reliable for us throughout our long boating experience. The best approach is to have them do the install if you are in the area as they will install it for about the price of shipping it. We did not want travel to Indiana from NC and chose to install it ourselves.

The critical issue with the replacement unit was whether it would fit in a 303 slide. It does, barely, and it takes some special work but the refrigerator is in the same position it was in originally. I prepped the rv to do the conversion inside by removing the couch and building a 4x8 platform out of cheap wood to work on in the rear of the room. I built up my furniture dolly to the same height so we only slid the refrigerator and never had to lift it.

There are multiple videos from both the supplier and Mortons on the Move so I won’t go into the conversion process in detail. The first unit I received from the supplier had a defect but they promptly sent a replacement and overall their support has been fast and excellent. Removing the refrigerator doors is straightforward but in removing the unit, I noticed that the tabs holding the screws that fasten the top of the refrigerator to the frame were broken off. The refrigerator was wiggling back and forth up top and had damaged the trim. I mentioned it to a friend who also has the same vintage 303 and, they were broken on his rv also when he inspected them. I am guessing it is a wide spread but easily fixable problem.

The removal of the old unit and replacement went as described in the videos. Ignore the electrical hookup in the video as the 1350 is different and there are specific instructions with the unit. The trick is to get the holes for the screws holding the cold plates lined up right. We did many test fits before foaming and chose to mount the refrigerator fins before the install leaving only the freezer screws to do after the install. With lots of practice fits, it went in easily. They did it a lot faster in the videos. We spent a half day at it. The one wrinkle was that a pipe connecting the two freezer cold panels interfered with one of the freezer shelf brackets and we had to work around that.

After letting it sit upright overnight, we powered it up. There were a couple of issues trying to get it going. The first is that the refrigerator control board relay requires AC to work. They provided a small inverter to power the relay. Unknown to them, the latest 1350 control boards require pure sine wave AC to work for some reason. When we fixed that, we had to short a propane safety sensor that was not there anymore. Finally, it tried to turn the compressor on but it would only start and then shut off. It didn’t take long to figure out it was a voltage drop issue. The DC wiring to the refrigerator cabinet isn’t big enough to handle the current. The compressor draws around 7 amps running and probably 10+ during startup. I ran a 10 awg wire from a separate circuit on the panel to the refrigerator cabinet which handles the current just fine with a 15 amp fuse. I did have to re-crimp a couple of connectors on the provided harnesses.

While the refrigerator was out, I filled the empty space with blue board foam insulation. There was room for 3” above the top, 2” on the side that faces out, and an inch on the inside wall. To fit the modified refrigerator in the space, I had to cut a notch in the base plate of the compressor and modify the vent. Basically, around the compressor, I cut off the vents that stick into the cabinet and replaced them with a flat sheet of acrylic (see picture). I ended up leaving the original AC cord on so I can plug it into the rv AC outlet which is also serviced by the rv inverter, or the little inverter they provide. I mounted the provided inverter in the opening and powered it with the original DC refrigerator circuit. The AC draw is nil as it is only used to switch a relay but, without it, the refrigerator tries to switch to propane. The refrigerator control logic is used before with the exact same features. The only modification is to use the AC out that went to the heater to switch a relay for the DC that powers the compressor. They do also provide a set of fin fans that mount in the refrigerator on the fins to keep the air circulating in the refrigerator. it is easy to run the wire for them out the hole that the thermistor wire uses during the installation.

The refrigerator has been running for the last three weeks or so but we haven’t yet taken a trip to test it and it is only beginning to get hot here. We will see how well it works later this summer when traveling becomes possible again.
    Last edited by howson; 05-26-2021, 09:40 AM.
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
    2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Additional pictures. Not clear that the labels are on the pictures correctly so feel free to ask if unclear.
    2018 Reflection 303rls
    Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
    2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

wygieman
      Great write-up . . . thanks for taking the time to document this project!

(I made a small edit to your title to take the "s" out . . . so that this will be easier to find for those searching on "Dometic")

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

wygieman -- wow! That was some project. Thank you for the detailed notes and, most importantly, the "gotchas" you encountered and how they were overcome.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Great write up! Thanks for sharing this with the rest of us here on the forum. I'm impressed with your willingness to take on a project like this. Keep us updated on how it works for you.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

wygieman -- please provide an update on this modification. Has it performed as expected (or better) in hot weather? Any further lessons learned or something you'd do different?

Thanks in advance!

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
              wygieman -- please provide an update on this modification. Has it performed as expected (or better) in hot weather? Any further lessons learned or something you'd do different?

Thanks in advance!

Howard
              We have used the refrigerator without issue since install. We were out all summer and at times it was over 100 degrees and it held temperature fine. We keep the it set at 4 which is 34 degrees on the Dometic. Typically on hot weather days, the temperature might go up a degree or two if the refer was lightly used. When we would do a big shopping on a hot day the temp would rise to 38 or 39 degrees after we put a bunch of warm food in it in the middle of the hot afternoon. It will also go up a degree or two during the Dometic 2 hr defrost cycle every other day in the middle of the night. The freezer stays cold enough, around zero and never higher than single digits measured on the bottom shelf. In hot weather, the freezer stays very cold because the unit cycles frequently - continuously I believe when above the 34 degree set point. The highest setting, 5, resulted in a 33 degree set point which was too close to freezing things for our comfort. The fan pack they include for the refrigerator fins works great, circulates the air and we never had any icing up or need to defrost in the refrigerator. We plug in most of the time so power consumption wasn’t an issue. The power measurements I made were in normal temperatures and overnight consumption was in the 8.5-10 amps/hr for the whole rig with nothing running but the refrigerator and other normal parasitics (about 1 amp/hr). We can spend the night unplugged with our 200 amp battery bank. High temperatures would have higher consumption, of course. I concluded that it can handle any temperature range that we would want to endure - we are not desert rats.

Would I do it again the same way? I would definitely take a look at the new 12 volt refrigerators they have come out with for a comparison. They weren’t an option at the time I needed to make the decision. I also couldn’t completely convince myself that I could get the residential refrigerator I considered into the unit safely. I built a mockup and it wasn’t obvious that it would work. Since then others have gone residential so I would also consider going that direction. After all, the unit I have is a conversion - I think a unit engineered for a compressor is going to be better at it than a conversion will be. The Dometic refrigerator works very well for us from a storage point of view and holds everything we need. I think the unit’s biggest weakness is its doors and how well they close. Our home refrigerator has much better doors. In summary, the conversion is completely adequate and reliable to date. If I were making the same decision today, I would take a fresh look at the options with the new information.
              2018 Reflection 303rls
              Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
              2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

Great review wygieman ! I hope when the time comes for ours, somebody will make a direct 12v compressor refrigerator replacement for our Norcold. I still may lean towards the conversion you did if not available, but I'm hoping by then, things for 12v refrigerators will have caught up.
                Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                2020 Momentum 351M
                2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

wygieman x2 ^^. Great writeup.

As I write this we are managing the last week of this trip without a fridge. Ours (Norcold 1210) has failed... again. Last time cooling fans (fixed easily), this time cooling unit lost its ammonia. So, even though still under warranty, I am looking seriously at DC compressor options to replace it.

OffToHavasu I have found that Norcold now makes a DC compressor series (in the Polar series https://norcold.com/product-category...refrigerators/) and they boast that the 15 cu ft model fits in the same cutout as the 12 cu ft absorption (model 1210).

I believe Dometic makes a 10 cu ft model as well.

Ken & Sandra
                  2021 303RLS | 2020 F350 Lariat 6.7L 4x4 SB SRW

Comment

Originally posted by KSC_Travels View Post
                    OffToHavasu I have found that Norcold now makes a DC compressor series (in the Polar series https://norcold.com/product-category...refrigerators/) and they boast that the 15 cu ft model fits in the same cutout as the 12 cu ft absorption (model 1210).

I believe Dometic makes a 10 cu ft model as well.
                    Well well well. Thanks for the info. Hopefully some trials and reviews will be coming soon.

Unfortunately, though, I have the 2118 which is bigger. I guess it depends on how much trim work I want to do.
                    Last edited by OffToHavasu; 09-23-2021, 10:36 AM.
                    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                    2020 Momentum 351M
                    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Working...
                    X