Peak behind the wall of the washer/dryer closet in a 2020 310GK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peak behind the wall of the washer/dryer closet in a 2020 310GK

My wife and I just spent a couple hours looking at the "washer/dryer" closet in our 2020 310GK to figure out how we're going to actually put a washer and dryer in there. It stressed me out so much I'm drinking a rare cool beverage now to unwind :-)

First, in case anybody is interested, this is what the closet looks like with the rear panel removed...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	310GK washer dryer closet.jpg
Views:	2214
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	16315

I posted in another thread how this closet is too narrow and not deep enough (and the water, power and vent connections are in the wrong location) but now that we've seen these aluminum "studs" behind the wall, we had to go to plan "B". We've decided to go with a ventless washer/dryer combo for the first time. We used separate vented units in our first two RV's but we just don't want the hassle of doing the venting with this lousy washer/dryer closet design. In order to get the depth we need, we plan to build a false floor that will sit on top of the horizontal aluminum frame shown in the photo that is about 15" off the ground. The distance between the two vertical aluminum "studs" is 35.5" so we plan set the washer/dryer combo back into the closet between the vertical studs which will give us enough depth to fit in the closet and allow us to close the closet door.

The only gotcha at this point is both LG combo units we are looking at have drawers that pull out to add the detergent. These drawers will still hit the door jamb even with the units pushed back as far as possible into the closet between the vertical studs. This will require cutting chunks out of the door jamb. Not good but desperate times require desperate measures.

I'm very leery of the washer/dryer combo units but we may go with the heat pump LG version (model LUWM101HWA) which is supposed to dry clothes faster and more efficiently than their less expensive models. If we don't like the non-vented combo unit, we can always go with the Splendid separates which are the ONLY brand I've seen that will fit depth-wise (22 3/4" vs 25"-26" for all other brands).

The good news????? I got my Bluetooth enabled thermostat in the mail today. I installed this in our last rig and it's sweet! It allows you to turn the heat on in the RV with your phone before you get out of bed :-)
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
    ...got my Bluetooth enabled thermostat in the mail today.
    One of these mentioned by boyscout in this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...=7345#post7345 ?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Sorry that this is off topic but the insulation job there looks pretty poor with a big gap between the bats of fiberglass. Sorry to hear that it is not going to fit what you wanted it to. There was another post the other day from @secondchance where the dealer had to do major rework to fit the washer and dryer in Rob's rig. Seems like a common problem.

Rob
      Rob & Barb
      2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
      2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

x2 . . . or I guess it’s x3 on the “Rob” observations. That insulation inside the front cap needs to be sorted out before you close up that space. How does “ventless” handle all the moisture from drying clothes ?? I would think that you also would want a well sealed vapor barrier between insulation and laundry machines.

3rd Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

One of these mentioned by boyscout in this thread: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...=7345#post7345 ?
          No, I got an AirXCel model:
          https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Colem...-p/72-5832.htm

This model works with my heat pump a/c unit.
          Brian & Kellie
          2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
          2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
          2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
          2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post
            Sorry that this is off topic but the insulation job there looks pretty poor with a big gap between the bats of fiberglass. Sorry to hear that it is not going to fit what you wanted it to. There was another post the other day from @secondchance where the dealer had to do major rework to fit the washer and dryer in Rob's rig. Seems like a common problem.

Rob
            Actually, I straightened out the insulation before taking the picture. It looked worse when I opened the wall. I will be adding more before I close it up.

I did read the post by Rob about his washer/dryer install experience. As much as I'd like to close my eyes and have a washer and dryer magically appear, I just don't trust dealers to do that kind of work - especially after watching them do something simple like replacing my L/A batteries with LiFePO4. Sheesh!
            Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
              How does “ventless” handle all the moisture from drying clothes ?? I would think that you also would want a well sealed vapor barrier between insulation and laundry machines.
              3rd Rob
              I'm not sure Rob. I have more research to do. I think they just pump the excess moisture out during the drying cycle with the water drain line that is used during the wash cycle but that's just a guess at this point. I also need to learn more about this newer heat pump drying system on the high end LG all-in-one model. It's different than the drying system used on their entry level models.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                x2 . . . or I guess it’s x3 on the “Rob” observations. That insulation inside the front cap needs to be sorted out before you close up that space. How does “ventless” handle all the moisture from drying clothes ?? I would think that you also would want a well sealed vapor barrier between insulation and laundry machines.

3rd Rob
                I read, while researching the various units, that several of the ventless dryers use a condenser system for recovery of moisture from the clothes being dried. In that case, after being condensed, the water would be pumped out through the drain line. I guess this is why they are generally less efficient than the vented units.

Rob
                Rob & Laura
                U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

I read, while researching the various units, that several of the ventless dryers use a condenser system for recovery of moisture from the clothes being dried. In that case, after being condensed, the water would be pumped out through the drain line. I guess this is why they are generally less efficient than the vented units.

Rob
                  Correct Rob. However, LG has two models. The more typical condensing system and also a heat pump drying system that is supposed to be very energy efficient. More energy efficient than a vented dryer. At this point, my number one consideration is ease of installation. Energy efficiency is way down on the list.

What's interesting is I read that in Europe, ventless combo units far outnumber vented separate units. Just the opposite of the U.S. In fact, vented dryers are apparently illegal in Switzerland - if you believe what you read on the internet. I would prefer vented separate units like we had in our last two 5th wheels but after looking at the closet we have to work with, we're probably going the ventless combo route. Still researching...
                  Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Originally posted by bertschb View Post

Actually, I straightened out the insulation before taking the picture. It looked worse when I opened the wall. I will be adding more before I close it up.

I did read the post by Rob about his washer/dryer install experience. As much as I'd like to close my eyes and have a washer and dryer magically appear, I just don't trust dealers to do that kind of work - especially after watching them do something simple like replacing my L/A batteries with LiFePO4. Sheesh!
                    That is really comforting to hear. Here I thought it looked bad after you fixed it. I agree some dealers are pretty bad and will make things worse which is why I do nearly everything myself if I can.

Rob
                    Rob & Barb
                    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
                    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Originally posted by Calbar View Post

That is really comforting to hear. Here I thought it looked bad after you fixed it. I agree some dealers are pretty bad and will make things worse which is why I do nearly everything myself if I can.

Rob
                      We sat outside behind the shop building and I was free to check in on the installation at any time - which I did about every 30 minutes. I would not have done anything differently that what these two excellent techs did. Of course, not all dealerships are created equal...

Rob
                      Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Working...
                      X