Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customer Satisfaction Program notice for heat shield on Microwave/Convection oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just want to confirm with everyone here that I just got my letter in the mail today. My dealer is 3 hours away so the nice lady at customer service is shipping the part to me and I will do the installation.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 RAM 3500 Big Horn, 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Comment

Thanks ๐Ÿ˜Š I will Look it up.

Comment

So I received the package , same description as Howard had made above. Removed the microwave , Furrion model. I have the "paneling" behind and no "wall paper". There is no visible signs of anything resembling scorching or melting , we have not used the convection part. This took about 20 minutes or so. The microwave is heavy so a second person is helpful , I checked ours last year when this all came about by myself and should have had help. The removal of the vent cover to access the screws holding the microwave in place is a pain. You have to just work at it carefully. The instructions are great and easy to follow.
        Here are some pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_082920.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	18238Click image for larger version

Name:	20200509_083127.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	18239

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Our dealer did the microwave deal yesterday. I continue to be surprised/amused at things I find on my Solitude. When the tech dropped the microwave, Grand Design had already cut thru the interior wall for a vent which was never installed. The only thing between the microwave and the exterior wall was the luan-backed fiberglass which had not been cut. I wonder if my rig was supposed to have a vent and the tech installing the microwave just failed to finish the installation. The tech was as amused as I and said nothing surprises him on the RV's he services. He put the adhesive shield on the wall and put the oven back. We'd prefer to vent the fan so I may get a vent and cut thru the outside wall and install it. The squirrel cage fan in the microwave can be re-positioned to blow out the vent.

2019 Solitude 384GK-R.

Comment

I have the Furrion convection oven and never received the letter. I contacted GDRV and they were surprised that I never got the letter. They are sending me the kit at this time. If you have a convection microwave oven, and have not received the letter, contact GDRV with your VIN to make sure you are taken care of.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
              I have the Furrion convection oven and never received the letter. I contacted GDRV and they were surprised that I never got the letter. They are sending me the kit at this time. If you have a convection microwave oven, and have not received the letter, contact GDRV with your VIN to make sure you are taken care of.

Jim
              Jim - I seem to recall the GDRV service techs replacing your original build MW/convection oven at the rally last August/Sept. ? I wonder if that had something to do with "slipping through the cracks." If so, this type of event could be impacting others as well in not getting the letter.

Dan
              Dan & Carol
              2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
              2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

I just had the heat shield installed at factory service center with another issue. First time use of convection oven produced a very bad smell like when furnace starts at beginning of season. It got real bad and smoke alarm went off. Let it cool and tried again, it still smells. Anyone else experience this?
                Vivian
                2018 Reflection 303rls
                Ford F-350 diesel long bed 4 x 4 SRW
                Demco Recon

Comment

Originally posted by Beachcamper View Post
                  I just had the heat shield installed at factory service center with another issue. First time use of convection oven produced a very bad smell like when furnace starts at beginning of season. It got real bad and smoke alarm went off. Let it cool and tried again, it still smells. Anyone else experience this?
                  I have not used ours since I did the install. Hope we don't have that problem but probably will.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Vivian, what I read in your post tells me the back of your convection is getting way too hot, heat shield or no heat shield. With help it is not hard to pull down the microwave to look at what's happening behind the unit. If the shield is now damaged, I'd have the microwave replaced or cease using the unit. Something is not right.

Please update the forum as you work through this issue.

GDRV-Megan --FYSA ("for your situational awareness")

Howard
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I would definitely drop it and take a look, but I wouldnโ€™t be surprised if the metal shield has some oil or coating on it to prevent rusting that needs to be โ€œbaked offโ€ the first couple times you heat it up, but I would expect they should warn you of that.
                      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.โ€‹

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Vivian, what I read in your post tells me the back of your convection is getting way too hot, heat shield or no heat shield. With help it is not hard to pull down the microwave to look at what's happening behind the unit. If the shield is now damaged, I'd have the microwave replaced or cease using the unit. Something is not right.

Please update the forum as you work through this issue.

GDRV-Megan --FYSA ("for your situational awareness")

Howard
                        Howard, we have been fulltime since 2018 when we purchased this 303rls. We always use the convection oven on a daily basis and never have had an issue. We are at GD service campground and was planning on finally leaving tomorrow morning but will ask Valerie to see if a tech could come in to check. They just did this recall item on the punch list for us. Maybe is it something on the foil?
                        Vivian
                        2018 Reflection 303rls
                        Demco Recon

Comment

Update for us: Grand Design shipped a heat shield to me about a week ago. I dropped the Furrion convection microwave and there was zero discoloration even though I use the convection feature frequently. I installed the heat shield and reinstalled the oven. GDRV is still stumped on why I was not contacted.

Jim
                          Jim and Ginnie
                          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Howard, we have been fulltime since 2018 when we purchased this 303rls. We always use the convection oven on a daily basis and never have had an issue. We are at GD service campground and was planning on finally leaving tomorrow morning but will ask Valerie to see if a tech could come in to check. They just did this recall item on the punch list for us. Maybe is it something on the foil?
                            Valerie will get it done--she's great. It won't take a tech 10 minutes to double-check and remove all doubt.

As you can probably tell from my posts, I tend to be very conservative and if in doubt--I check. I sometimes wish I could be more happy-go-lucky and "wing it", but that's (rarely) my modus operandi.

Even though Valerie won't remember me, tell her I said "Hi" and that she has a lot of fans in the GD community.

Howard
                            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Valerie will get it done--she's great. It won't take a tech 10 minutes to double-check and remove all doubt.

As you can probably tell from my posts, I tend to be very conservative and if in doubt--I check. I sometimes wish I could be more happy-go-lucky and "wing it", but that's (rarely) my modus operandi.

Even though Valerie won't remember me, tell her I said "Hi" and that she has a lot of fans in the GD community.

Howard
                              I think Valerie is awesome and can certainly believe she has many fans. I will let her know you said โ€œHiโ€ ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ
                              Vivian
                              2018 Reflection 303rls
                              Demco Recon

Comment

It was noted that the smell is normal when you first start using convection oven. It is the heat shield material off gassing, she did not go into much detail as they are super busy. We tried it again this morning before going in and bothering Valerie. The smell is a bit less but you can definitely smell it.
                                Vivian
                                2018 Reflection 303rls
                                Demco Recon

Comment

Working...
                                X