Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

fuses to main control panel blowing thus none of the switches in control panel work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuses to main control panel blowing thus none of the switches in control panel work

I have a 2020 Solitude 310GK ….had it only 9 weeks. The 12 volt circuit (which powers the control panel itself) fuse has been replaced 3 times.
    While I cannot say for sure what caused the first two times.....me not paying attention....this last time the fuse blew when I retracted both awnings (at the same time) fuse blew when they got fully retracted.
    I should also note with the blown fuse the red "display" light in the fuse box did not light up showing which fuse was blown. Also the dealer did moved the water pump onto its own fuse circuit due to the main living room led lights flickering about 5 weeks ago(this has made the flickering leds better but still not solved). Not sure either of these is important or has anything to do with my problem. My dealer is shut down and not answering the phone for sales or service. ideas?

Originally posted by RV4FUN View Post
    I have a 2020 Solitude 310GK ….had it only 9 weeks. The 12 volt circuit (which powers the control panel itself) fuse has been replaced 3 times.
    While I cannot say for sure what caused the first two times.....me not paying attention....this last time the fuse blew when I retracted both awnings (at the same time) fuse blew when they got fully retracted.
    I should also note with the blown fuse the red "display" light in the fuse box did not light up showing which fuse was blown. Also the dealer did moved the water pump onto its own fuse circuit due to the main living room led lights flickering about 5 weeks ago(this has made the flickering leds better but still not solved). Not sure either of these is important or has anything to do with my problem. My dealer is shut down and not answering the phone for sales or service. ideas?
    Short answer: power one awning at a time.

Long answer: Based on what I found on the GD Parts Lookup website, your awnings are the model "Longitude" and are made by Carefree. The manuals for this model are here: https://www.e-carefree.com/ecarefree30/product-library

In the Longitude Installation Manual, the circuit rating for a single awning motor is 15A.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit rating.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	17646

The circuit in the trailer (circuit 9 if my Electric Plan is accurate) is protected by a 15A fuse.

So what happens when an awning is extended and retracted? During travel the amperage load is relatively light. In the video below watch the "Current" line as my Dometic awning is extended and retracted. The starting amperage draw on my system (awning not moving) is 3.5A, so the difference is the awning load.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Current.JPG
Views:	541
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	17647

As the awning starts extending, the amperage increases to ~6.6A, so the difference (load due to the awning) is 6.6A - 3.5A= 3.1A. At the :19 second mark the awning is fully extended. I held down the "EXT" button for a moment and the amperage jumped to 12.6, or 12.6 - 3.5 = 9.1A.

At the :25 mark I start retracting the awning. At the :39 mark the awning is fully retracted but I left down the "RET" button for a moment. Note the amperage jumps to 14.4, or 10.9A of load due to the awning.

If two awnings are powered simultaneously the fuse is blowing because the amperage being drawn is too high for the circuit. Power one at a time.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If two awnings are powered simultaneously the fuse is blowing because the amperage being drawn is too high for the circuit. Power one at a time.
      Awesome analysis, Howard. Begs the question: Why the heck does GD put the awnings on a single 15 A circuit? Shouldn't this question/implied suggestion be routed to the design team at GD?

-Steve
      2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
      Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
      2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
      18k B&W Companion, non-slider
      640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
      Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
      Somerset, WI

Comment

Originally posted by steve&renee View Post

Awesome analysis, Howard. Begs the question: Why the heck does GD put the awnings on a single 15 A circuit? Shouldn't this question/implied suggestion be routed to the design team at GD?

-Steve
        The multiple awnings on one 15A fused circuit is similar to multiple 120v outlets protected by a single 15A circuit breaker, Steve. Just because there's an outlet available it doesn't mean multiple high-amperage devices can be plugged in (and turned on) at the same time. There's always going to be a bit of manual load management required with any circuit, whether in an RV or in a home.

Consider an electric space heater running on maximum heat on a garage outlet, add an air compressor (running, powered off the same circuit) followed by an electric table saw that's turned on. Even a 20A home circuit breaker will let go at that point. (I exaggerated the example to make a point--hopefully no one actually does this!)

Now that RV4FUN can see what's going on, if they'll run one awning at a time it should resolve the fuse-blowing issue.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

That certainly would explain why the fuse blew this time. I will make sure I only retract or extend one at a time in the future. As I don't recall the situations for the other 2 time let's hope this resolves my issue. Really appreciate your help Howard.....and the time to make the video.....nice to know folks care enough to help others!

Comment

It's super amazing how much some of the guys here know and to the lengths that they are willing to go to explain things to a fellow RV'r that needs some help. A big thanks to Howard and others like him who are here for us less "tech savvy" dudes who need help from time to time. Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!
            Dave and Sue
            2020 GD 2250RK
            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

TheLegend and TucsonJim -- I suggest we put this in a new thread. Look for "260RD Blowing Awning and Slide Fuse" here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...and-slide-fuse

Comment

Working...
              X