Refrigerator Blows 5A Fuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator Blows 5A Fuse

Our fridge keeps blowing 5 amp fuse in slideout weve had 380fl for 2 weeks and at 123,000 youd think rv dealer would fix it. All our food has rotted now and hilltop rv in michigan says its the rv park power but electrician says it the fridge. Any ideas? Need help

Originally posted by Lena Benner View Post
    Our fridge keeps blowing 5 amp fuse in slideout weve had 380fl for 2 weeks and at 123,000 youd think rv dealer would fix it. All our food has rotted now and hilltop rv in michigan says its the rv park power but electrician says it the fridge. Any ideas? Need help
    First, Welcome to the forum.
    If shore power is the suspect, I have to ask - Do you have a surge protector (external or hardwired) for your rig?
    Brady & Steph
    2019 Momentum 351m FBP
    2019 F350 DRW Long Bed B&W Companion
    *SOLD* 2015 Reflection 308BHTS TT
    *SOLD* 2011 F350 SRW Long Bed

Comment

Originally posted by Lena Benner View Post
      Lena,
      If the park power is bad I find it incredulous that the bad power is so selective it only affects the 5 amp fuse in the refrigerator. Proving your RV dealer wrong is as easy as plugging in your RV to another power source like a generator or any other source. Pop in a new fuse (all power and refrigerator off!), power up the RV and see what happens.

Should the fuse pop again with the new power source and if your dealer still refuses to help, give Grand Design Customer Service a call and ask if they will authorize an independent repairman to come look at the refrigerator. Note you may have to pay the "service call" fee. (I've never called GD myself to ask for a repair so some of my information may be incorrect.)

Note, too, that I moved this topic to its own thread.

-Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Lena - It's easier for us to help offer a solution if you provide a little background information:

1. Year of your Grand Design unit (is it still under the one year warranty)?
        2. Make and model number of your refrigerator?
        3. Are you using and Electrical Managment System (EMS)?

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

My fridge is about 1.5 years old.
          it blows the AC 5 Amp fuse each trip.
          1-5 days of operation.
          Fridge works good on Gas.

Comment

Originally posted by Work1 View Post
            My fridge is about 1.5 years old.
            it blows the AC 5 Amp fuse each trip.
            1-5 days of operation.
            Fridge works good on Gas.
            Hello, Work1.

Is your post just a comment or are you interested in trying to troubleshoot (and fix) the issue yourself? If the latter, we'll need to know the year and model of your GD unit. The exact model of your refrigerator is needed, too, as there are a plethora of units out there.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

2019 Reflection 303RLS
              Dometic
              RM1350SLMX

Comment

Originally posted by Work1 View Post
                2019 Reflection 303RLS
                Dometic
                RM1350SLMX
                Same refrigerator I have in my '19 315RLTS.

The diagnostic manual for this frig is available here: https://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/Serv...,%20RM1350.pdf

On page 4 there is a rundown of what can cause your symptom. I think we can pass by "Operation", "AC Volts" and "Fuse" which leaves the Heating Element, Wiring, and Lower Circuit Board as the three suspects.

Click image for larger version

Name:	No AC.JPG
Views:	2004
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	7711

If you are comfortable with an ohmmeter, there's a check you can do documented on page 16 to verify the heating element.

Finding a wiring fault may be tough--you'll be looking for a power wire that's chaffing (grounding).

With the problem being so intermittent, troubleshooting the lower circuit board may not reveal anything wrong.

Comment

Post is a little old but I'll comment.I was working on the GFs Crusader with Dometic 8 cu ft refer. Light didn't work and I like things to work. Wiring also didn't seem right, switch confirmed bad. In my fiddling around I apparently shorted the 12v side and blew the 5 amp fuze on the board. I correctly wired the switch, replaced fuze with one from an auto supply place, and all good including the light. The board also had a 10 amp which was fine.
                  2007 Itasca Horizon w/2017 Wrangler "pusher toad"
                  2015 Solitude 320X (sold) likely a 351M to take it's place
                  2017 Ram 3500 Laramie 4wd CC LB SRW
                  2019 Harley Davidson Heritage 114 as the toy

Comment

Working...
                  X