Convert Movies to Play on via Furrion USB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Convert Movies to Play on via Furrion USB

I have been trying to use the furrion dv3300 USB input for movies. It seems all of the files that are downloaded do not work with the player. Pg 30 of the furrion manual has a guide to supported video format. Any luck with converting files to work with the dv3300? I have used Movavi and VLC converter......not much of a techie...no luck🙁

Originally posted by Chandy View Post
    I have been trying to use the furrion dv3300 USB input for movies. It seems all of the files that are downloaded do not work with the player. Pg 30 of the furrion manual has a guide to supported video format. Any luck with converting files to work with the dv3300? I have used Movavi and VLC converter......not much of a techie...no luck🙁
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum. I took the liberty of moving your post to its own thread as the answer diverges from the other thread's original topic.

One of my hobbies is video editing, so since I'm familiar with the process I gave it a shot. What I did was force a short video with a 1280 pixels (wide) by 720 pixels (tall) resolution (a 16:9 aspect ratio), to the Furrion's accepted 720 x 480 (a 4:3 aspect ratio) @ 30 frames per second. I also changed the codec (program that compresses data to enable faster transmission and decompresses received data) to MPEG-4 Visual (per the Furrion's manual). I used a free converter (Windows computer program) called Handbrake available here: https://handbrake.fr/

The resulting video played on the Furrion (the original would not) but the video quality of the copy was definitely not as good as the original.

Note you can downscale a video (make the length x width less) in Handbrake, but to my knowledge you cannot upscale a video in Handbrake. So if the original file has a 320x240 format, Handbrake won't convert it to 720x480.

Converting formats and/or codes of video files is time-intensive and mind-numbing. May I suggest that if watching digital movies is the goal, one option is to acquire a small laptop with an HDMI output port (to connect to the TV). A good movie player for the laptop is a freeware program named VLC https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html. (Obviously you know about VLC!) But for other readers, it's open source and as "freeware" implies it is free! It will play just about any format using almost any codec and aspect ratio. There's a Windows, Linux, iOS, and even an Android version of the player available.

There's many other ways to play movies via electronic devices that are far easier than messing with converting files to get them to play on the Furrion.

I hope I didn't make your eyes glaze over with too much detail. If I can clarify anything don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum. I took the liberty of moving your post to its own thread as the answer diverges from the other thread's original topic.

One of my hobbies is video editing, so since I'm familiar with the process I gave it a shot. What I did was force a short video with a 1280 pixels (wide) by 720 pixels (tall) resolution (a 16:9 aspect ratio), to the Furrion's accepted 720 x 480 (a 4:3 aspect ratio) @ 30 frames per second. I also changed the codec (program that compresses data to enable faster transmission and decompresses received data) to MPEG-4 Visual (per the Furrion's manual). I used a free converter (Windows computer program) called Handbrake available here: https://handbrake.fr/

The resulting video played on the Furrion (the original would not) but the video quality of the copy was definitely not as good as the original.

Note you can downscale a video (make the length x width less) in Handbrake, but to my knowledge you cannot upscale a video in Handbrake. So if the original file has a 320x240 format, Handbrake won't convert it to 720x480.

Converting formats and/or codes of video files is time-intensive and mind-numbing. May I suggest that if watching digital movies is the goal, one option is to acquire a small laptop with an HDMI output port (to connect to the TV). A good movie player for the laptop is a freeware program named VLC https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html. (Obviously you know about VLC!) But for other readers, it's open source and as "freeware" implies it is free! It will play just about any format using almost any codec and aspect ratio. There's a Windows, Linux, iOS, and even an Android version of the player available.

There's many other ways to play movies via electronic devices that are far easier than messing with converting files to get them to play on the Furrion.

I hope I didn't make your eyes glaze over with too much detail. If I can clarify anything don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Howard
      Howard - Thanks I Just Learned something new. Don't have a clue what it means so maybe after some more coffee. If it is not plug and play I get confused and maybe, just maybe, I will read the instructions I have enough trouble resizing pictures to post or even sharing on facebook. However this does give me some good reading for today. Thanks

Now if I could only find a way to save movies off of my direct tv dvr using the USB port I might understand.

Back to my corner
      Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
      X