Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snake Wire Inside the Back Wall of a 315RLTS? (Nope!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snake Wire Inside the Back Wall of a 315RLTS? (Nope!)

Foiled, I was! Drat. I thought I was going to be so clever...not today...

One of my "down under" projects is to re-route the Ford auxiliary camera and TPMS cable that runs from the rear of the camper all the way to the front, where's there is a separate connector that plugs in under the 7-pin on the truck. When I installed the cable I zip-tied it to the gas line running down the street side of the camper. Worked fine, but with the coroplast down I wanted to route it up inside.

On the rear of the camper I decided to try and find a way to run the cable inside of the back wall. I know there's a channel that runs vertically from the bottom to the top (for the marker light wires) and there's a horizontal channel that runs across the top (again, for the marker light wires). I took off the top left and took a peak. To my great disappointment the vertical channel is behind the horizontal channel. Where the marker wires go into the camper there isn't a clear, definitive "this is going to work" look to it so I decided the "juice wasn't worth the squeeze".

Click image for larger version

Name:	Channel.JPG
Views:	576
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	19415

Click image for larger version

Name:	Channels 2.JPG
Views:	506
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	19416

I'll still run the rest of the wire up under the coroplast and secure it appropriately. Just a little disappointed I couldn't get that wire in those channels.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

On another rig it looks like the vertical aluminum frame might have wood stuffing and the wires get run up through the rear wall and back out into the top horizontal aluminum frame to the marker lights.

Gene and Kim
    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
      On another rig it looks like the vertical aluminum frame might have wood stuffing and the wires get run up through the rear wall and back out into the top horizontal aluminum frame to the marker lights.
      It's that horizontal wood piece just above the window valance that I was leery of running into with the camera cable. Even worse, while pulling the OEM marker wires out (with string attached) if something went wrong I'd be hosed.

Someday I'll figure something out to make it look a nicer, or take Triplethreat up on his offer. Of course when we're done we'd have to go for a motorcycle ride. Based on his choice of ride, though, I'd have my hands full keeping up on my 'Wing!

Thanks, as always, Gene.

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

howson Howard,

Could you run the cable over the top on the roof and down where your solar cables are running? This routing would have a similar cable length.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          howson Howard,

Could you run the cable over the top on the roof and down where your solar cables are running? This routing would have a similar cable length.

Jim
          Yes, but the work involved is way too much for the limited benefit of "it looks a little better". I'd have to remove the solar controller, the interior wall, drill a larger hole in the rafter...just not worth it.

Comment

Howard howson
            There was a recent thread where someone installed a Ford system. I think the dealer installed. They went on the roof (covered with tape), and came down beside a vent stack or other chase to get to the king pin.. Looked like a clean install. Might be at the other place.

When my dealer did my solar install they used the vent stack (outside the vent). Teck said it was fairly easy as plenty of room beside the vent pipe. Ir was a straight shot to the basement.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
              Howard howson
              There was a recent thread where someone installed a Ford system. I think the dealer installed. They went on the roof (covered with tape), and came down beside a vent stack or other chase to get to the king pin.. Looked like a clean install. Might be at the other place.

When my dealer did my solar install they used the vent stack (outside the vent). Teck said it was fairly easy as plenty of room beside the vent pipe. Ir was a straight shot to the basement.
              If my trailer had the GD installed hole in the roof to the front pass-thru, I'd be all over it. Mine is too early of a build (effectively an '18 with a '19 VIN) so no joy for me.

It's all good--minor issue. Purely cosmetic.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If my trailer had the GD installed hole in the roof to the front pass-thru, I'd be all over it. Mine is too early of a build (effectively an '18 with a '19 VIN) so no joy for me.

It's all good--minor issue. Purely cosmetic.
                I was hoping with your bath being towards the front you could go down beside the black/gray vent stack (drill hole in boot) and get to the belly that way. As you have the belly open, can you see up beside the vent stack from below? I was wondering where your roof vent was and hoped you could find a way down that way.

Just brainstorming here
                Keith

On edit - where is your TV antenna and how did they run the wires to you projection TV in the bedroom. Do any of the wires get to the nautilus panel in your pass through and how did they get there?
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

I was hoping with your bath being towards the front you could go down beside the black/gray vent stack (drill hole in boot) and get to the belly that way. As you have the belly open, can you see up beside the vent stack from below? I was wondering where your roof vent was and hoped you could find a way down that way.

Just brainstorming here
                  Keith
                  Not a bad idea, Keith, but with all the solar I'd have to disturb that installation to get to the vent area. "Juice isn't worth the squeeze".

Comment

Working...
                  X