Residential fridge model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residential fridge model?

I would like to compare specs between the Norcold 2118 in our Solitude and the residential equivalents in the -R model rigs.
    If you have a residential fridge, could I ask what specific model you have?

Thanks -Rob-
    Last edited by Country Campers; 06-04-2020, 04:48 PM.
    -
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
    Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
    It's a Samsung RF18HFENBSR
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
    2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

bertschb

Originally posted by bertschb View Post
      Hi, Brian. I've just contacted my dealer about converting our 310GK to a 310GK-R by swapping out Norcold to the Samsung. In the GK, the Norcold is set into a cabinet, with only the doors showing. The dealer wasn't sure but thought that in the GK-R the Samsung is freestanding at the end of the counter, like it would be in most home kitchens. Is this the case, or is it set into a cabinet? If it is normally freestanding, it might entail removing some of our cabinetry and doing whatever fix-up is necessary to make it visually appealing, making it a more complicated project. Since changing this refrigerator involves a slide pull, I'm not considering attempting to do it myself. I would appreciate it if you could post a pic.

Before people remind me that the GK-R also has a second battery and 1kW inverter, we're set on that score with 600AH of LiFePO4 and 3kW inverter.

Thanks,
      -Al
      Al and Kathe
      :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
      2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
      Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Comment

Originally posted by lobsters View Post
        bertschbI would appreciate it if you could post a pic.
        Hi Al

This is what my fridge looks like:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2698.jpg
Views:	2757
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	25330

Hope that helps!
        Brian & Kellie
        2020 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, MORryde IS, 1,460w solar and 540ah BBGC3
        2020 Ford F-350 Platinum SRW PSD Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
        2019 Grand Design Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 Ford F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
        2016 Grand Design Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Comment

bertschb

Hi, Brian. I've just contacted my dealer about converting our 310GK to a 310GK-R by swapping out Norcold to the Samsung. In the GK, the Norcold is set into a cabinet, with only the doors showing. The dealer wasn't sure but thought that in the GK-R the Samsung is freestanding at the end of the counter, like it would be in most home kitchens. Is this the case, or is it set into a cabinet? If it is normally freestanding, it might entail removing some of our cabinetry and doing whatever fix-up is necessary to make it visually appealing, making it a more complicated project. Since changing this refrigerator involves a slide pull, I'm not considering attempting to do it myself. I would appreciate it if you could post a pic.

Before people remind me that the GK-R also has a second battery and 1kW inverter, we're set on that score with 600AH of LiFePO4 and 3kW inverter.

Thanks,
          -Al
          I would not think a slide pull would be needed. I replaced mine with a residential (actually a bigger one than GD uses stock) and had no issue getting the old out and new in. Granted mine was a Dometic not a Norcold, I would imagine they are close to the same size. I had to take the doors off my new fridge but that was no big deal.

As far as cabinetry I cannot really help there as my fridge is in a cabinet by itself, so I just removed the whole thing. Keep in mind you will also need to seal up the access panels for the fridge. They rely on the fridge to seal them to keep bugs and cold/warm air out of the camper, and the residential fridge has no allowance for that. After trying to fill the holes in the factory covers with spray foam unsucessfully, I found a place online that made plexiglass panels and they worked great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190715_152504.jpg
Views:	2922
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	25344Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190708_122730.jpg
Views:	2568
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	25345Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0293.jpeg
Views:	2577
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	25346
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
          2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
          2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

This - and they fit through the door sideways with the fridge and freezer doors off.

Rob
            Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

bertschbHi, Brian. I've just contacted my dealer about converting our 310GK to a 310GK-R by swapping out Norcold to the Samsung.
              Al

If you do get the Samsung residential fridge, I would also recommend getting a device like this to prevent the doors from opening during travel. Our fridge came with locks for the fridge doors but no lock for the freezer door. It opened several times during travel leaving a large dent in the door.
              Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

I would like to compare specs between the Norcold 2118 in our Solitude and the residential equivalents in the -R model rigs.

Thanks -Rob-
                As the original OP I thought I would update our journey here.
                We have made the decision and started down the res fridge path.
                After looking at many options, we decided on an LG LFXC22526S. We ruled the Samsung RF18 out as the on-line reviews weren't very good.
                There were couple of Frigidaires that looked enticing but were a bit on the heavy side.
                The LG that we picked claims about the same weight as the Norcold and about the same size except a wee bit deeper.
                The only downside is I think we will have to move our island about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to clear the freezer drawer handle. We have the room and I don't think it will be a problem.
                Hopefully it should arrive in a few days and we can get started in the swap.
                I will post an update then.
                Wish us luck! lol

-Rob-

BTW I did some calculations on the energy consumption of the Norcold. At the published fuel consumption rate (propane) of 3000 BTU/hr which equates to approx. 880 Watt/Hrs of electric and running at approx. 80% duty cycle (which ours did) over 24 hrs would equal approx. 21 kWh/day. Over a year, that's over 7,500 kWh! Compare that to the typical res fridge which is between 500 and 700 kWh.
                -
                Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
                2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
                2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
                Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has responded to help us through this process!

Second Chance
                  Originally posted by Second Chance View Post
                  This - and they fit through the door sideways with the fridge and freezer doors off.
                  I saw that it is narrow enough to fit through the door, but I didn't think it could make enough of a turn to get it past the power center cabinet... Hmm, I'll get a piece of cardboard to make a template. I'll need to look up how heavy it is to see whether I think I can get it in; I'm not a terribly strong guy. Not quite the proverbial 98 pound weakling, but close!

Your signature says you have a 2020 310GK-R; have you actually done this swap in a 310? Or for some other reason passed the Samsung through the 310's entrance maze?

You are full-timers like us, and I think I remember you boondock a fair amount. Do you have any stats on its actual power consumption? The spec shows how much it draws while running, but can't show its daily watt hours draw in normal use. We are off the grid for 5 months each winter, so I want to be sure my solar system will handle it.

bertschb
                  Hi Al
                  <...deleted...>
                  Hope that helps!
                  Yes, it did! Thanks very much.

and
                  If you do get the Samsung residential fridge, I would also recommend getting a device like this to prevent the doors from opening during travel. Our fridge came with locks for the fridge doors but no lock for the freezer door. It opened several times during travel leaving a large dent in the door.
                  Yes, I saw your post about the lock; it is definitely on the list; thanks for posting.

ncitro
                  Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                  I would not think a slide pull would be needed. I replaced mine with a residential (actually a bigger one than GD uses stock) and had no issue getting the old out and new in. Granted mine was a Dometic not a Norcold, I would imagine they are close to the same size. I had to take the doors off my new fridge but that was no big deal.

As far as cabinetry I cannot really help there as my fridge is in a cabinet by itself, so I just removed the whole thing. Keep in mind you will also need to seal up the access panels for the fridge. They rely on the fridge to seal them to keep bugs and cold/warm air out of the camper, and the residential fridge has no allowance for that. After trying to fill the holes in the factory covers with spray foam unsuccessfully, I found a place online that made plexiglass panels and they worked great.
                  Thanks, Neil. As I noted to Rob, above, I was concerned about a cabinet in the 310 floor plan blocking the entrance. The 28BH seems to have quite a bit more space directly inside the door before the sofa than the 310GK does before its cabinet. I did see your post about the panel covers; they look like a real good solution so thanks for posting that and the vendor you used!
                  Al and Kathe

Comment

As the original OP I thought I would update our journey here.
                    We have made the decision and started down the res fridge path.
                    After looking at many options, we decided on an LG LFXC22526S. We ruled the Samsung RF18 out as the on-line reviews weren't very good.
                    There were couple of Frigidaires that looked enticing but were a bit on the heavy side.
                    The LG that we picked claims about the same weight as the Norcold and about the same size except a wee bit deeper.
                    The only downside is I think we will have to move our island about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch to clear the freezer drawer handle. We have the room and I don't think it will be a problem.
                    Hopefully it should arrive in a few days and we can get started in the swap.
                    I will post an update then.
                    Wish us luck! lol

-Rob-

BTW I did some calculations on the energy consumption of the Norcold. At the published fuel consumption rate (propane) of 3000 BTU/hr which equates to approx. 880 Watt/Hrs of electric and running at approx. 80% duty cycle (which ours did) over 24 hrs would equal approx. 21 kWh/day. Over a year, that's over 7,500 kWh! Compare that to the typical res fridge which is between 500 and 700 kWh.
                    Thanks for this update, Rob. I'll be watching for your updates--the DW is insistent that I change out the Dometic for a residential after the latest trip.
                    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                      ...the DW is insistent that I change out the Dometic for a residential after the latest trip.
                      Howard, you're going to need to change your signature to something like 315RLTSPlus++
                      Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has responded to help us through this process!

Second Chance

I saw that it is narrow enough to fit through the door, but I didn't think it could make enough of a turn to get it past the power center cabinet... Hmm, I'll get a piece of cardboard to make a template. I'll need to look up how heavy it is to see whether I think I can get it in; I'm not a terribly strong guy. Not quite the proverbial 98 pound weakling, but close!

Your signature says you have a 2020 310GK-R; have you actually done this swap in a 310? Or for some other reason passed the Samsung through the 310's entrance maze?

You are full-timers like us, and I think I remember you boondock a fair amount. Do you have any stats on its actual power consumption? The spec shows how much it draws while running, but can't show its daily watt hours draw in normal use. We are off the grid for 5 months each winter, so I want to be sure my solar system will handle it.

bertschb
                        We have not done this swap ourselves - the "R" in ours means it came with the residential fridge. I learned it fits through reading other threads about conversion and getting out a tape measure and doing the measurements myself.

Though we are full-timers, we do not boondock. We ordered our 310 with the new factory solar option (300W panel, 2,000 inverter, and added two Battle Born 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries) to provide power on travel days. At the end of a long travel day with partial cloud cover, the batteries are still charged and the solar charger is in float mode. This would indicate that the solar panel alone provided enough power for the fridge during daytime travel. I'm sorry I don't have any other power information for you - we haven't had the need to test the overnight/cloudy endurance of the batteries.

Rob

Rob & Laura
                        U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                        2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                        2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                        (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                        Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Thanks for this update, Rob. I'll be watching for your updates--the DW is insistent that I change out the Dometic for a residential after the latest trip.
                          Another owner had installed a Haier 15-cu ft 4-Door Counter-depth French Door Refrigerator in their 303RLS.
                          It just clears the island counter top with the slide closed.
                          He managed to catch it on sale for ~$1000.
                          Gene and Kim
                          2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                          2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

lobsters No problem! Looking at the floorplan I would think with your slides out you should be able to snake it out the door, but definitely measure it out. I would be surprised if the rig was designed to have to pull the slide to replace the fridge. Its not an uncommon failure, and pulling the slide is not easy. As far as weight, I remember being surprised how light it was. I had a couple buddies over and we gout it out no problem. I saw one guy on youtube, when he replaced his he backed the truck right up to the door and slid it out the door and into the truck bed. Reverse for the new.

As far as power usage, keeping in mind mine is bigger than the stock fridge, and I assume uses more power... I have 400 ah of LiFePO4 batteries and 1,200 watts of solar. With no sun (solar controller actually turned off for testing) I can go 48 hours with just the fridge on. Now thats inside, so the rig not in the sun and the fridge probably is not running as hard as it would be in the sun, but still was pretty good. We went to the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque last year, ten days dry. We both work full time, and had a one year old baby, so we used a lot of power. The solar had us pretty much topped up by evening. Then we ran the generator for a half hour of so the be totally full for the night since we ran a space heater in the bunk house for the baby. Anyone with more normal power usage than us should have no issue at all.

Good luck, let us know if you tackle it and how it goes.

Neil Citro
                            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro
                              Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                              lobsters No problem! Looking at the floorplan I would think with your slides out you should be able to snake it out the door, but definitely measure it out. I would be surprised if the rig was designed to have to pull the slide to replace the fridge. Its not an uncommon failure, and pulling the slide is not easy. As far as weight, I remember being surprised how light it was. I had a couple buddies over and we gout it out no problem. I saw one guy on youtube, when he replaced his he backed the truck right up to the door and slid it out the door and into the truck bed. Reverse for the new.

As far as power usage, keeping in mind mine is bigger than the stock fridge, and I assume uses more power... I have 400 ah of LiFePO4 batteries and 1,200 watts of solar. With no sun (solar controller actually turned off for testing) I can go 48 hours with just the fridge on. Now thats inside, so the rig not in the sun and the fridge probably is not running as hard as it would be in the sun, but still was pretty good. We went to the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque last year, ten days dry. We both work full time, and had a one year old baby, so we used a lot of power. The solar had us pretty much topped up by evening. Then we ran the generator for a half hour of so the be totally full for the night since we ran a space heater in the bunk house for the baby. Anyone with more normal power usage than us should have no issue at all.

Good luck, let us know if you tackle it and how it goes.
                              <Laughing madly at myself!> Here I've been going over the dimensions of lots of residential refrigerators, to see whether I could get them in... I NEVER THOUGHT about checking the dimensions of the Norcold that has to go out! Sigh. I guess I really need that cup of tea in the morning even on the weekends! So... THANKS!

OK, our solar is slightly bigger than yours (600AH and 1440W up top), and we won't be running a space heater, so we'll probably be OK.

Thanks for helping keep my ego in check, Neil.
                              -Al
                              Al and Kathe

Comment

Working...
                              X