Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lobsters View Post
    ncitro

<Laughing madly at myself!> Here I've been going over the dimensions of lots of residential refrigerators, to see whether I could get them in... I NEVER THOUGHT about checking the dimensions of the Norcold that has to go out! Sigh. I guess I really need that cup of tea in the morning even on the weekends! So... THANKS!

OK, our solar is slightly bigger than yours (600AH and 1440W up top), and we won't be running a space heater, so we'll probably be OK.

Thanks for helping keep my ego in check, Neil.
    -Al
    lol no problem. I found the new went in easier because the doors popped right off. The Dometic I had was less clear to get the doors off so we left them on which made it tighter.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Thanks for this update, Rob. I'll be watching for your updates--the DW is insistent that I change out the Dometic for a residential after the latest trip.
      We finally made the swap a couple of weeks ago. Things went quite well and so far we are happy with our new fridge.
      You can read all the details on my blog page https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/p/residential-fridge.html
      One thing we didn't do which in hindsight might have been worthwhile would be to remove the raised floor in the opening.
      After fighting with our Norcold 2118 since almost day one with this rig, we finally had had enough and made the decision to get rid of it an...
      -
      Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya
      2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
      2023 GMC Denali Duramax 4x4 DRW LB CC, Curt Q25
      Follow us at https://rctravels.rmcd.ca/

Comment

Rob, thanks for the update! We've also done a first pass at our replacement. After we scheduled a delivery date for the fridge which needed to be ordered, we started the process of buying a house. The schedules conflicted, so I did a quick'n'dirty install in Quartzsite, and will do a final install when we're in our new house in Montana. Then after a few weeks up north we'll head back to Q.

I appreciate your write up on your blog. I'll be doing the same not too long from now (but on our blog, not yours!). It was good to hear your solutions to a few of the things I've been thinking of. You were braver than I will be though, in that I'm not going to plumb ours up.

-Al
        Al and Kathe
        :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
        2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
        Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Comment

From your blog:
          Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
          Before putting the new fridge in, I also lined the outside walls of the enclosure with Reflectix to add a bit of extra insulation.
          Good idea! I'm going to do that, too.

I've got a Haier in shipment right now--expect it in the next 5-7 days. The DW wanted a 4 door setup and the size is nearly identical to the Dometic in the camper right now. It has some unfavorable reviews...so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for the update (and idea).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Replacement.JPG
Views:	719
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	29600
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

You were braver than I will be though, in that I'm not going to plumb ours up.

-Al
            Actually, that part was really easy. I had easy access to the main water line behind the Nautilus panel and fishing it through was also easy.
            I connected it to the PEX inside with a valve so I can easily turn the fridge water off and drain the line if necessary.
            -
            2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, 600AH of Battle Born LiFePO4, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink

Comment

... I'm not going to plumb ours up.

-Al
              We don't use the icemaker, anyway. We prefer to have the space for frozen fruit and have a zip-lock with the re-freezable "cubes" that we rotate out. That way, we also don't have to worry if a park has water that makes the ice taste funky.

Rob
              Rob & Laura
              U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
              2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
              2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
              (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
              Full time since 08/2015

Comment

I've written up my project so far on our blog, https://lobstersontheloose.com/2020/...ice-cream-yay/. Two notes: our blog is promarily for family and friends, non-RVers, and my writeup of this project is much more conversational than KamFlyer 's is. But I hope the description of doing the swap by myself may be interesting to some who are contemplating this project. Second, an unplanned change to our travel schedule meant that I had to do the swap very quickly. What I've documented so far is not our final / permanent installation. There is an old saying, "Do it right or do it twice." Well, I have to do it twice.

Originally posted by KamFlyer View Post
                Actually, that part was really easy. I had easy access to the main water line behind the Nautilus panel and fishing it through was also easy.
                I connected it to the PEX inside with a valve so I can easily turn the fridge water off and drain the line if necessary.
                Two questions, Rob. Is your fridge in a slide? Ours is, and I imagine that would make routing the plumbing more difficult. I'm wondering if I am over estimating the challenge. Second, would you please say more about how you stabilized the fridge to prevent tipping while underway. You mention using angle brackets? Where? Do you have any pics? And did you drill into the fridge case, or use existing hardware? Thanks for any pointers. That is my main unknown step at this point.

And just how many Robs are there on this forum? OK, That's a third question. Never mind! [smile]

Thanks to everyone who has been documenting their experiences doing a fridge swap; you've been a great help.
                -Al

Al and Kathe

Comment

I've written up my project so far on our blog, https://lobstersontheloose.com/2020/...ice-cream-yay/. Two notes: our blog is promarily for family and friends, non-RVers, and my writeup of this project is much more conversational than KamFlyer 's is. But I hope the description of doing the swap by myself may be interesting to some who are contemplating this project. Second, an unplanned change to our travel schedule meant that I had to do the swap very quickly. What I've documented so far is not our final / permanent installation. There is an old saying, "Do it right or do it twice." Well, I have to do it twice.

Two questions, Rob. Is your fridge in a slide? Ours is, and I imagine that would make routing the plumbing more difficult. I'm wondering if I am over estimating the challenge. Second, would you please say more about how you stabilized the fridge to prevent tipping while underway. You mention using angle brackets? Where? Do you have any pics? And did you drill into the fridge case, or use existing hardware? Thanks for any pointers. That is my main unknown step at this point.

And just how many Robs are there on this forum? OK, That's a third question. Never mind! [smile]

Thanks to everyone who has been documenting their experiences doing a fridge swap; you've been a great help.
                  -Al
                  Since there are several, I don't know which Rob you're asking. Our rig is a 310GK-R, so same floorplan as yours. The fridge is in the slide - same as yours. The water line runs from a valve on the Nautilus panel, through the hanger strap bundle with the gas line and wiring, and into the slide under the fridge. Since it's not protected from cold, there is a warning label next to the valve in the convenience center warning to turn the water to the fridge off if temps are expected to be below freezing.

Rob
                  Rob & Laura
                  U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                  2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                  2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                  (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                  Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

Since there are several, I don't know which Rob you're asking.

Rob
                    Sorry Second Chance . I was asking KamFlyer, whom I had tagged above. I thought about tagging him again for the question and decided not to. Should have done. Thanks for the routing of yours; it will be helpful if I change my mind and plumb it. (Anything worth doing is worth doing three times??? [grin])
                    Al and Kathe

Comment

-Al
                      First off Al, great write up! Love it
                      Yes, our fridge is in a slide. The water plumbing was quite easy actually. We ran a fish tape from the exit hole in the frame under the slide into the mechanical space behind our hutch. This is right behind the Nautilus panel in our rig. From there we pulled a 10 foot stainless flex hose to the outside, added a coupler (actually a small valve) and another 5 foot section of flex hose up to the fridge.
                      As to stabilizing the fridge we used modified angle brackets to block the wheels so it can't slide forward and a couple of angle brackets at the top rear to stop it tipping. The top ones are simple brackets screwed into the bottom edge of the upper vent opening and simply pop riveted to the back wall of the fridge.
                      I've added a pic of the 'wheel chock'. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the upper attachment.
                      Keep in mind, our install has the fridge all the way back into the opening. The LG both pulls air in and exhaust it out through the back. You can see these vents in one of my photos on the blog. We are simply letting it cool to the outside. We don't usually camp in extreme weather so I think we'll be OK. I have a temperature sensor back there so I can monitor it.
                      To be able to pull it far enough forward to vent up the back, we would have to move the island. Not impossible but added another level of complexity so we decided to try without first.
                      -Rob-
                      -

Comment

Myself and two of my fellow GDRV Momentum owners are in the same boat with a Norcold 2118 that just does not keep things cold enough. GDRV was kind enough to already replace mine with a brand new one after 11 months of ownership. But I have decided to go ahead and make the jump to a residential model. Now that one of my fellow GDRV owners in our camping groups 2118 went out on him we have expedited the research which led me to this post.

He has found a retrofit kit - see link below - Has anyone considered this route? If not, can you provide feedback?
                        https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...118-hvac-120v/

I had settled on the Samsung, even knowing the reviews were not good, because I thought it was the only one that would fit - physically. Obviously after reading this post, I now know there are more options. Thanks to all for the information in the posts and links to the posted write ups.
                        Brady & Steph
                        2019 Momentum 351m FBP
                        2019 F350 DRW Long Bed B&W Companion
                        *SOLD* 2015 Reflection 308BHTS TT
                        *SOLD* 2011 F350 SRW Long Bed

Comment

Originally posted by TENN22 View Post
                          Myself and two of my fellow GDRV Momentum owners are in the same boat with a Norcold 2118 that just does not keep things cold enough. GDRV was kind enough to already replace mine with a brand new one after 11 months of ownership. But I have decided to go ahead and make the jump to a residential model. Now that one of my fellow GDRV owners in our camping groups 2118 went out on him we have expedited the research which led me to this post.

He has found a retrofit kit - see link below - Has anyone considered this route? If not, can you provide feedback?
                          https://jc-refrigeration.com/product...118-hvac-120v/

I had settled on the Samsung, even knowing the reviews were not good, because I thought it was the only one that would fit - physically. Obviously after reading this post, I now know there are more options. Thanks to all for the information in the posts and links to the posted write ups.
                          I converted my Dometic 1350 12.5 cu ft refer using the JC Refrigeration kit this spring. The process was documented in a thread here with the title Dometic 1350 Conversion, I believe. Since then, the refrigerator has been in continuous use for six months with no issues including ambient temperatures over 100F. The draw on the unit is 9 amps when cycling, 7 amps for the compressor and another 2 amps for the refrigerator controller logic including interior and exterior fans. The percent of time cycling is dependent on ambient temp and I haven’t measured it. It does appear to cycle a lot when it is very hot. Re why do the conversion instead of going to a residential, in my case it was because I couldn’t fit the residential that was the same width in through the door. I was looking at the same refrigerator Howard chose but someone later converted a 303 to residential using a narrower version which I just did not consider. In retrospect I might have gone that way. I know that the converted unit I have works well and am confident in its ability to keep the food in it cold. It is also built to store stuff while vibrating down the road etc. I don’t know how residential refrigerators with glass shelves, etc. handle that but obviously many people are happy with them. I just have no experience with them. I believe the cost will roughly be the same and both will work. I don’t have a good idea about residential refrigerator power consumption, but if that is not an issue, it is probably the preferred solution since you have a new refrigerator vs a converted one.
                          2018 Reflection 303rls
                          MORryde IS, FlexArmor roof
                          Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
                          2017 Ford F350 CCSB SRW

Comment

I'm preparing to do the reinstall (real install) of our unit. As noted, I just a quick and dirty job so I could get back on the road earlier than I had planned. Neil ncitro I found your post where you gave the info about the company that fabricated your black panels, https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s/page3.Thanks! Are you happy with the 1/4" thickness that they offer? Is it rigid enough to do OK with the ~31" unsupported span?
                            Al and Kathe

Comment

I'm preparing to do the reinstall (real install) of our unit. As noted, I just a quick and dirty job so I could get back on the road earlier than I had planned. Neil ncitro I found your post where you gave the info about the company that fabricated your black panels, https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s/page3.Thanks! Are you happy with the 1/4" thickness that they offer? Is it rigid enough to do OK with the ~31" unsupported span?
                              I have been quite happy with it. The 1/4" has been fine. On their advice I drilled the holes slightly larger than my screws so the plastic would have room to expand. I probably went overkill on the screws, there are about every 6-8". Caution on drilling the holes, I used a regular bit and was very careful and still managed to crack one of the corners. Lots of advice online, file your drill bits or get a special one. If I was doing it again I would order a bit for cutting plastic, a regular bit just grabs too hard.

Other than that, I ran butyl tape around the perimeter, screwed it to the side and its great.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

ncitro Thanks, Neil. I'm also a fan of butyl tape. Thanks for the hint about the bits.
                                -Al
                                Al and Kathe

Comment

Working...
                                X