Washer Drain Line Full of (Smelly) Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer Drain Line Full of (Smelly) Water

When I pulled out the Splendide ARWXF1 washer in my 315RLTS as part of my "soft hose replacement" project I discovered the drainpipe was full of water. It was not the most pleasant water, either, as it had sat in the drain hose for months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Water HEre.JPG
Views:	17160
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	20737

The use of the washer is sporadic, so it will sit idle for long periods of time. I don't want water sitting in that line. Is there an alternative to adding a "low point drain" to the drain line (to remove the water)?

I read the manual (nothing pertinent) and a google search didn't reveal an "ah ha!".

TIA...

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

When you know you won't be using the washer for awhile would it help to run an empty rinse cycle? That way only clean water would be sitting in the hose. Just a thought to get the ball rolling here, critique at will.

Comment

Originally posted by TNFSolitude View Post
      When you know you won't be using the washer for awhile would it help to run an empty rinse cycle? That way only clean water would be sitting in the hose. Just a thought to get the ball rolling here, critique at will.
      I was thinking along the same lines as Tom . . . I would go one step further and put some bleach in that last rinse cycle.

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

I was thinking along the same lines as Tom . . . I would go one step further and put some bleach in that last rinse cycle.

Rob
        And save a little of that bleach for sipping. Coronavirus, ya know.
        2018 Solitude 310GK, disc brakes
        Morryde SRE4000/XFactor with heavy duty shackles, V-Brackets in spring hangers
        2012 Ram 3500 SRW 6.7 Diesel, air bags
        18k B&W Companion, non-slider
        640 watts solar, 400 amp-hour Lion Safari UT 1300 battery bank
        Aims 1500 watt inverter/charger with ATS
        Somerset, WI

Comment

Lol Howard you're such a busy fellow! You keep coming up with things that I feel I need to check on my rig too! My washer gets used infrequently for now as well and I never would have thought about that drain line. The bad part is that there is really no way to easily get to it to drain it. I can access the drain pipe from the other end in the front basement but not sure how one could drain it from there. Please let us now if you come up with an idea for this. In the meantime I'm starting a GoFundMe page to pay for golf lessons or something else to keep you busy away from your trailer!!
          Jeff
          2019 Solitude 375 RES
          2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

The shape of the hose make the "trap" that does not allow any "stinky" back out. Draining this may allow "stinky" from the grey or gray tank to infiltrate the sleeping quarters of the head boss ( you do not want this either). Doing the rinse cycle with bleach would be my vote as well.

Brian

PS: For some reason I can not picture Howard golfing , not sure why though.
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Rob
              Put a little bleach in the fabric softener tray and it will flow in during the rinse cycle. We are having a odor problem with our clothes from the washer. I thought it might be that they are sitting a little too long in the washer, but figured out that it is the Tide liquid for dark clothes that I have been using since my uniforms are black.
              Jerry and Kelly Powell, with Halo, Nash, Reid, Cleo, Rosie, and the two newest additions Shaggy and Bella..
              Nash County, NC
              2020 Solitude 390RK-R​

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                When I pulled out the Splendide ARWXF1 washer in my 315RLTS as part of my "soft hose replacement" project I discovered the drainpipe was full of water. It was not the most pleasant water, either, as it had sat in the drain hose for months.

Name:	Water HEre.JPG
Views:	17160
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	20737

The use of the washer is sporadic, so it will sit idle for long periods of time. I don't want water sitting in that line. Is there an alternative to adding a "low point drain" to the drain line (to remove the water)?

I read the manual (nothing pertinent) and a google search didn't reveal an "ah ha!".

TIA...

Howard
                Back on topic
                Howard - how easy is it to get to the soft drain pipe and do you have easy access to the stand pipe? Solution is at the bottom of the U soft pipe install a T fitting with valve and connect to the bottom of the stand pipe. You can open the valve to drain the soft pipe. I don't think you can leave it open when in use as it would probably siphon the wash water when in use.

Just thinking out loud here.

BTW - is there a P trap at the bottom of the stand pipe? if not be sure the U fitting into it is tight so you don't get sewer gas back out.
                2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Back on topic
                  Howard - how easy is it to get to the soft drain pipe and do you have easy access to the stand pipe? Solution is at the bottom of the U soft pipe install a T fitting with valve and connect to the bottom of the stand pipe. You can open the valve to drain the soft pipe. I don't think you can leave it open when in use as it would probably siphon the wash water when in use.

Just thinking out loud here.

BTW - is there a P trap at the bottom of the stand pipe? if not be sure the U fitting into it is tight so you don't get sewer gas back out.
                  The Standpipe is in the wall between the bedroom and front closet. I'm not going to mess with that pipe (which goes directly into the separate, single-purpose washer gray tank). There's no access to that area once the washer is in, anyway, so having a valve there doesn't work regardless.

I've been pondering this for the last several days and haven't come up with a solution. The one "maybe" is using a wet/dry vac to suck out the line's contents, but will that damage something internally on the washer? I need to call Splendide and ask them if there's a solution.

Thanks for getting us back on topic. You'd think the moderators would be more diligent. (Oops...I guess that's me, huh?)
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

There is most likely a "duck bill" one way valve rather than a P trap in the stand pipe. The brand that Grand Design uses is Hepvo. https://hepvo.com

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

There is most likely a "duck bill" one way valve rather than a P trap in the stand pipe. The brand that Grand Design uses is Hepvo. https://hepvo.com

Rob
                      Yep. That diagram in the first post is from the Splendide manual and was not meant to be a representation of the actual plumbing in the 315RLTS. Yoda -- sorry about any confusion.

The black pipe (ABS as I've learned!) on the left is the drain coming down the wall. Immediately below that cutout in the floor is the washer gray tank.

You can see the HEPCO mounted at a 45 degree angle. It's the white item circled.

This view was looking rearward with my head around the side of the Nautilus panel. On the other side of the wall is the bedroom.

Name:	HEPCO.JPG
Views:	1595
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	21057

Comment

The Standpipe is in the wall between the bedroom and front closet. I'm not going to mess with that pipe (which goes directly into the separate, single-purpose washer gray tank). There's no access to that area once the washer is in, anyway, so having a valve there doesn't work regardless.

I've been pondering this for the last several days and haven't come up with a solution. The one "maybe" is using a wet/dry vac to suck out the line's contents, but will that damage something internally on the washer? I need to call Splendide and ask them if there's a solution.

Thanks for getting us back on topic. You'd think the moderators would be more diligent. (Oops...I guess that's me, huh?)
                        OK a rethink. How far above the floor is the soft hose U bend? Would you have room to do the T and run a smaller hose around the washer and be able to empty into a bucket. Have the valve at the end of that hose where you can get to it. I am assuming you can get to and remove the soft drain hose at the back of the washer without having to move the beast. You could reuse some of that soft pex you took out
                        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Yoda ,

It's actually much easier to drain than anticipated.

On the bottom front of the unit is the pump clean out. Pull that plug and all the water drains out. I'll only drain the output line when the washer will be idle for an extended period and since the washer is sitting on a drain pan, I'll have my wet/dry vac ready to capture the water that comes spilling out. (It comes out in a hurry and makes a mess, so for anyone considering "just letting it drain" consider what's going to get soaked!)

Pics for reference:

First, the drain (with plug installed). This is under the kickplate, lower front right corner of the Splendide ARWXF129W.

Name:	Under the Kickplate.JPG
Views:	1549
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	21084

With the plug pulled

Name:	Plug unscrews.JPG
Views:	1526
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	21085

With the bottom cover removed, showing how the drain line connects to the pump:

Name:	Showing the cleanout.JPG
Views:	1482
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	21086

A shoutout to Splendide Technical Support--the guy was super helpful and responsive to my inquiry.

Howard

Comment

Great job Howard, I knew you would figure it out! I will look at mine and see if it's the same and have the shop vac ready lol. Thanks for all you do for us with your digging around
                            Jeff
                            2019 Solitude 375 RES
                            2020 Ford F450 Platinum

Comment

Howard, I realize the message I'm replying to is 16 months old ... I have a 2021 Momentum 397TH with laundry hookups in the master bedroom closet. I have not installed laundry machines. Your message discusses a separate single-purpose washer gray tank. I don't seem to have one of those on my unit. I have two gray tanks and both accumulate water while we're using the unit, but I've never put a drop down the washer standpipe... Can you clarify what you meant by "separate, single-purpose washer gray tank"????

Thanks, Steve
                              My trailer: Grand Design Momentum 397TH with many small modifications and a fairly large (1700W panels, 10KW batteries) DIY solar install.

My truck: 2020 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn 4x4 DRW, 6.7L Cummins HO Turbo Diesel, Aisin 6-speed, 4.10 axle, Patriot Blue Pearlcoat, Longhorn L1, Towing Tech, Max tow, Towing prep, 30K 5th wheel, Cold Weather pkg, Safety group, Body color bumpers, Tow hooks, Auto level, 50 gal fuel, Bed step, Side steps, Sunroof, Aux switches, Air Horn, TruXedo Sentry bed cover

Comment

Working...
                              X