Dometic fridge thermofuse went out twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dometic fridge thermofuse went out twice

Anyone else having problems with their Dometic fridge? No power on either gas or electric. Dealership said it was the thermofuse, they replaced it, was back up and running on gas or electric just fine, took it out for the 2nd time, arrived at site- to find its out again. Power not beyond the thermofuse again. Not sure what to do, we can’t keep taking it in after every trip! We have a 2020 MK2670
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 06-13-2020, 10:51 AM. Reason: Change title name from Domestic to Dometic. Jim - Moderator

Originally posted by Jen View Post
    Anyone else having problems with their Dometic fridge? No power on either gas or electric. Dealership said it was the thermofuse, they replaced it, was back up and running on gas or electric just fine, took it out for the 2nd time, arrived at site- to find its out again. Power not beyond the thermofuse again. Not sure what to do, we can’t keep taking it in after every trip! We have a 2020 MK2670
    Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Jen.

What model Dometic is in your RV?

I have a 1350, and for the thermofuse this is what the diagnostic manual states (again--for the 1350):

Click image for larger version

Name:	thermofuse.JPG
Views:	2693
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	21433

Unfortunately this is a problem that will likely have to be resolved by your dealer.

Please stop back when the issue is resolved and let us know the resolution.

If you do not get satisfactory results from your dealer, call Grand Design Customer Service. Have your VIN handy as they'll need it. 574-825-9679

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Jen I've read of this a few times. Perhaps high ambient temperatures and perhaps sun shining on side where the frig is adds to the heat to get the thermal fuse hot enough to melt its solder and go open.

The thermal fuse which will open the circuit when the heat gets to the rated temperature of 152°C.
      That's what some have found marked on the fuse by removing the protective sleeve off of it.

The frig circuit board sends 12v through this thermal fuse, then to the resettable thermofuse on the chimney and then finally back to the circuit board.
      This thermal fuse doesn't seem to be mentioned in the manual..

These thermal fuses are commonly used in small appliances like hair dryers, toasters.

Amazon search: Thermal Cutoff Fuse 152C

These thermal fuses need to be crimped back onto the wires, not soldered as that may weaken the internal solder that melts when it reaches the temperature its rated for.
      Emerson https://www.emerson.com/documents/co...-en-792774.pdf

Gene and Kim
      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

I have an Imagine XLS 17MKE. 2nd trip out, our Dometic refrigerator would not power on. After buying a cooler for the weekend and getting home, the service guy from the dealer 2 hours away suggested that I cut out the diode that is in the protective sleeve of the red wire in the picture gbkims posted. This made the refrigerator start working again, but now I still have to take the trailer to the dealer 2 hours away and leave it until they can figure out why the diode went bad. I feel your pain, Jen!

Allen and Cyndi
        Bushland, Texas
        Allen and Cyndi
        Ford-a Venture!!!
        Ford F-350 and GD Solitude 382WB

Comment

So I took it to the dealership (180 miles away at a cost of $85 for gas) and he replaced the red wire clipped under the protective covering in gbkims picture. The wire was in a kit from the parts department and showed $59.60 on the package. He took the wire out of mine and replaced with a new one. But this time he did not clip it back into place like gbkims picture. he left it pulled out and away from the stack, saying it could be that the diode inside the protective sleeve got too hot so he moved it away from the heat source. Perhaps unclipping your wire might help. Good luck.
          Allen and Cyndi
          Ford-a Venture!!!

Comment

Originally posted by allen_mires@yahoo.com View Post
            So I took it to the dealership (180 miles away at a cost of $85 for gas) and he replaced the red wire clipped under the protective covering in gbkims picture. The wire was in a kit from the parts department and showed $59.60 on the package. He took the wire out of mine and replaced with a new one. But this time he did not clip it back into place like gbkims picture. he left it pulled out and away from the stack, saying it could be that the diode inside the protective sleeve got too hot so he moved it away from the heat source. Perhaps unclipping your wire might help. Good luck.
            Allen,
            Gene's picture (and text) references the thermal fuse in this thread. Are you referencing a component as shown in the pic below?

Name:	Diode Here.JPG
Views:	2108
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	22951

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Allen,
              Gene's picture (and text) references the thermal fuse in this thread. Are you referencing a component as shown in the pic below?

Name:	Diode Here.JPG
Views:	2108
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	22951

Howard
              Yes, I am. That red wire with the black sheath on it clipped to the aluminum guard has a diode inside the sheath. THAT is what went out on my Dometic fridge. While on the camping trip, the technician at the dealership told me to cut that diode out of the wire and splice the two ends together, which I did, and it allowed the refrigerator to come back on. The tech said you can do this for a while but you do need to replace that diode soon because it is a safety device.
              Allen and Cyndi
              Ford-a Venture!!!

Comment

Also, sorry, I forgot to include this: When the tech replaced the wire, he did NOT clip it back to the aluminum guard but left it out and away from the heating unit to the right of the picture. He said this would help reduce the likelihood it would fail unnecessarily.
                Allen and Cyndi
                Ford-a Venture!!!

Comment

We had the same issue with our thermal fuse. Was it hot when you were driving? Where you driving with the fridge powered with propane?
                  Jen
                  Last edited by JoeCoasty; 08-29-2020, 10:05 PM.
                  Robert & Jeanette
                  2023 23LDE
                  2018 F-150
                  USCG AMT (Ret)

Comment

Originally posted by JoeCoasty View Post
                    We had the same issue with our thermal fuse. Was it hot when you were driving? Where you driving with the fridge powered with propane?
                    Welcome to the forum, JoeCoasty. Forum use hints--use the "Quote" when replying to a post so it is obvious whom you are addressing (like I just did) or you can "tag" the individual by using the @ symbol followed by their username, like this: JoeCoasty

Howard (moderator)

Comment

Originally posted by allen_mires@yahoo.com View Post
                      I have an Imagine XLS 17MKE. 2nd trip out, our Dometic refrigerator would not power on. After buying a cooler for the weekend and getting home, the service guy from the dealer 2 hours away suggested that I cut out the diode that is in the protective sleeve of the red wire in the picture gbkims posted. This made the refrigerator start working again, but now I still have to take the trailer to the dealer 2 hours away and leave it until they can figure out why the diode went bad. I feel your pain, Jen!

Allen and Cyndi
                      Bushland, Texas
                      We had the same issue with ours the first time out. Was it hot? Where you driving with propane power?
                      Robert & Jeanette
                      2023 23LDE
                      2018 F-150
                      USCG AMT (Ret)

Comment

Originally posted by Jen View Post
                        Robert & Jeanette
                        2023 23LDE
                        2018 F-150
                        USCG AMT (Ret)

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to the forum, JoeCoasty. Forum use hints--use the "Quote" when replying to a post so it is obvious whom you are addressing (like I just did) or you can "tag" the individual by using the @ symbol followed by their username, like this: JoeCoasty

Howard (moderator)
                          Thank you for the help
                          Robert & Jeanette
                          2023 23LDE
                          2018 F-150
                          USCG AMT (Ret)

Comment

JoeCoasty - I haven't forgot your post on this topic. I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie
                            2024 Solitude 310GK
                            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                              JoeCoasty - I haven't forgot your post on this topic. I'm going to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Jim
                              Thank you.
                              Robert & Jeanette
                              2023 23LDE
                              2018 F-150
                              USCG AMT (Ret)

Comment

Working...
                              X