No announcement yet.

Dometic fridge thermofuse went out twice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most everyone knows about the problems with our absorption fridges (Dometic & Norcold) and the possibility of them leaking - overheating and catching on fire. The thermal fuse it for a set temp - so if your shroud reaches that temp it shuts off the 12VDC to your fridge control unit - thus stops heating the fluid. That "diode" in the black sheath is for a fire. It then also shuts off the 12VDC. If you keep tripping the thermal fuse I would have your unit checked out by an authorized fridge dealer to make sure it's not overheating - I've seen many new ones that have had faulty cooling units.....

Mark
    2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
    2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
    2020 Momentum 376THS
    We're both proud USAF Retirees...
    Retired RV Tech

Comment

Originally posted by RV Tech Ret View Post
      Most everyone knows about the problems with our absorption fridges (Dometic & Norcold) and the possibility of them leaking - overheating and catching on fire. The thermal fuse it for a set temp - so if your shroud reaches that temp it shuts off the 12VDC to your fridge control unit - thus stops heating the fluid. That "diode" in the black sheath is for a fire. It then also shuts off the 12VDC. If you keep tripping the thermal fuse I would have your unit checked out by an authorized fridge dealer to make sure it's not overheating - I've seen many new ones that have had faulty cooling units.....

Mark
      Mine is at the dealer for the 3rd time with this issue. All they can seem to do is to just replace the fuse, which then blows again. I'm having a problem getting them to find the actual cause. So, my question is, is this a design problem with this fridge being at the back of the trailer with poor airflow? Or is there a general bug in the fridge manufacturing?

We've not been able to use the trailer nearly as much as we thought because it's always in the shop for this.

Comment

Is the fuse the 5amp that is on the power control board? If so, as RV Tech Ret noted, check the 12v dc fans. Had one of the two fans dragging, that is not spinning freely. In my case, when the fridge's absorption system reaches temp, the dc fans kicked on, drawing extra current to attempt to spin the dragging fan and exceeds the 5amp fuse limit.. Pop goes the fuse!!!! . Your 2020 model, should be under warranty, if you can diagnose it, they should send New fans to you, if your a DIY'er! I was able to access the fans through the upper vent 4 sheet metal screws and two connector later, had a fully functional fridge!

Comment

Originally posted by 2021 260RD View Post
          Is the fuse the 5amp that is on the power control board? If so, as RV Tech Ret noted, check the 12v dc fans. Had one of the two fans dragging, that is not spinning freely. In my case, when the fridge's absorption system reaches temp, the dc fans kicked on, drawing extra current to attempt to spin the dragging fan and exceeds the 5amp fuse limit.. Pop goes the fuse!!!! . Your 2020 model, should be under warranty, if you can diagnose it, they should send New fans to you, if your a DIY'er! I was able to access the fans through the upper vent 4 sheet metal screws and two connector later, had a fully functional fridge!
          Welcome to the forum, 2021 260RD! Always makes me smile when a first post is one meant to help and/or inform. When you get a chance, check out the welcome letter: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by 2021 260RD View Post
            No, it's not the 5 Amp fuse - it's the thermal fuse which is heat-sensitive. Apparently when the ambient temp goes above about 159C, it opens up. It's not a current issue.

Since posting this, I've see on several Facebook groups that others are having this problem with the rear-mounted fridges. My tentative conclusion is that with the fridge at the rear of the trailer, there's not proper airflow in the area of the propane burner (NOT the cooling fin area). This has apparently been going on for years, even though GD supposedly insisted to our dealer that they'd never heard of this.

Comment

Thank you for your post about the thermofuse. Saved my bacon while camping. I would have never know that reset button was there.

Originally posted by howson View Post

Welcome to Grand Design's Technical Forum, Jen.

What model Dometic is in your RV?

I have a 1350, and for the thermofuse this is what the diagnostic manual states (again--for the 1350):

Click image for larger version

Name:	thermofuse.JPG
Views:	2753
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	21433

Unfortunately this is a problem that will likely have to be resolved by your dealer.

Please stop back when the issue is resolved and let us know the resolution.

If you do not get satisfactory results from your dealer, call Grand Design Customer Service. Have your VIN handy as they'll need it. 574-825-9679

Howard

Comment

I have a 2021 295 RL and had the thermal fuse go out also. Fridge is on side slide out. Dealer replaced fuse and said they had 3 other trailers with same problem that week. Now I have returned trailer to dealer for a whirring noise in fridge. I suspect it to be a fan.

Comment

Working...
                X