Haunted TCL television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Haunted TCL television

I have an Imagine XLS 17MKE and have owned it for 1 month. We've had 2 trips camping and 2 trips to the dealer for repairs. One thing they have not fixed is the TCL ROKU television will turn itself on every single time we plug in the 30amp cord. Does anyone else have this problem? The service department seems to think it is the television's fault, but both of our repairs so far have been electrical issues with the inverter and the refrigerator.

Allen and Cyndi
    Bushland, TX
    Allen and Cyndi
    Ford-a Venture!!!
    Ford F-350 and GD Solitude 382WB

Note that the test below might turn off your refrigerator--so I suggest switching to propane first.

In your Power Distribution Center, turn off the circuit breaker that powers the television.

Wait a moment or two and then turn the circuit breaker back on--does the TV turn on by itself?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

First, I'd perform the step that Howard lists above. If the TV does not turn back on after turning the breaker back on, it might be that it is continuing to receive power through the inverter and going into stand-by mode. Note: You can also just try unplugging the television instead of using the breaker.

Next, I'd make sure the television has the latest firmware updates. I'm attaching a TCL/Roku owners manual. See page 60-61 on how to update your firmware.

I'd also check into the power settings, specifically, the Standby Energy Mode. See page 29 of the attached manual.

If problems persist, there is a phone number in the manual to contact TCL for support.

https://content.etilize.com/User-Manual/1028178188.pdf

Note: Since you didn't list the model of the television, the manual may not be exactly correct for your TV.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Also look in the settings of the TV. Some electronics have the option to auto power on when power is restored.
        Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
        2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
        2020 Momentum 351M
        2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by allen_mires@yahoo.com View Post
          I have an Imagine XLS 17MKE and have owned it for 1 month. We've had 2 trips camping and 2 trips to the dealer for repairs. One thing they have not fixed is the TCL ROKU television will turn itself on every single time we plug in the 30amp cord. Does anyone else have this problem? The service department seems to think it is the television's fault, but both of our repairs so far have been electrical issues with the inverter and the refrigerator.

Allen and Cyndi
          Bushland, TX
          Allen and Cyndi,

We too have had the same issue with our 2021 337RLS. Every time we power up to a power source the TV comes on. We have resorted to unplugging the TV when we close up the camper and then plug it back in once we are set up. I also have noticed I have to go into the picture settings each time and set the picture brightness to the setting I prefer. The TV automatically resets to the "Store" setting when powered back up.

I have checked through all the settings I can find and have not been able to see anything in regards to auto powering mode. Note: I have updated the firmware and this didn't change anything.

Obviously the TCL Roku TV is a smart TV and it is too smart for me.

Santa61
          Keith and Tina
          2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
          2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
          Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Comment

AMires in TX and Santa61

What I find interesting is that GD had a similar problem on the Imagine with a fireplace that beeps every time power is applied, so they installed a switch in line with the outlet. The beeping happens quite often due to load shedding in the 30A trailer. Turning the switch off stops the fireplace nuisance beep. The whole story is detailed here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...mystery-switch

My point is it would not be hard to install a switched outlet (or a switch in line with the outlet) allowing the user to control when power gets to the TV.

Just a thought...
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

So something is telling me that there is more to play here.

If I'm reading this correctly, the TV only does this whacky power up when you plug into shore power, and doesn't do it when you plug it into the outlet. If so, there is more going on that meets the eye. I'm thinking is has to do something with an inverter in the system and/or maybe a transfer switch. It sounds almost like the difference between a hard boot on a computer and a soft boot.

howson , I'm not so sure the fireplace issue and the TV issue are the same. On the fireplace, it will still beep whether the fireplace is switched on, plugged into the wall, or plugged into shore power. On the TV, it will only come on when shore power is reconnected. If the TV is just plugged in to the wall outlet, it doesn't come back on.

Jim
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                So something is telling me that there is more to play here.

If I'm reading this correctly, the TV only does this whacky power up when you plug into shore power, and doesn't do it when you plug it into the outlet. If so, there is more going on that meets the eye. I'm thinking is has to do something with an inverter in the system and/or maybe a transfer switch. It sounds almost like the difference between a hard boot on a computer and a soft boot.

howson , I'm not so sure the fireplace issue and the TV issue are the same. On the fireplace, it will still beep whether the fireplace is switched on, plugged into the wall, or plugged into shore power. On the TV, it will only come on when shore power is reconnected. If the TV is just plugged in to the wall outlet, it doesn't come back on.

Jim
                Hmmm...I didn't interpret Santa61 's post that way. He said Every time we power up to a power source the TV comes on they have the problem, without qualification.

If the TV doesn't come on when he plugs in to an already powered outlet--well--that would indeed be interesting. The wall switch simply duplicates plugging/unplugging the TV (disconnects from a live source). If I'm understanding what you're suggesting, it is the "surge" associated powering up that is triggering the TV.

I hope the individuals with the problem will expound further on the symptoms, though I doubt there is a "fix" outside of a firmware update from TCL. The OPs might consider calling TCL directly to inquire.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Hmmm...I didn't interpret Santa61 's post that way. He said Every time we power up to a power source the TV comes on they have the problem, without qualification.

If the TV doesn't come on when he plugs in to an already powered outlet--well--that would indeed be interesting. The wall switch simply duplicates plugging/unplugging the TV (disconnects from a live source). If I'm understanding what you're suggesting, it is the "surge" associated powering up that is triggering the TV.

I hope the individuals with the problem will expound further on the symptoms, though I doubt there is a "fix" outside of a firmware update from TCL. The OPs might consider calling TCL directly to inquire.
                  Let me give a little more detail which should help to clarify what we are experiencing.

When we plug up to shore power and the TV is left plugged into the wall outlet behind the TV, the TV automatically turns on.
                  When we plug up to shore power and have the TV unplugged from any power source and then plug the TV into the outlet behind the TV the TV does NOT turn on. In this scenario the TV is turned on by using the remote.

Mystery indeed.

Santa61
                  Keith and Tina
                  2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
                  2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
                  Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. That's the way I was interpreting it. Do you have a volt meter? I'd measure the voltage at the outlet, then disconnect from shore power and measure it again. I'm guessing you have some residual voltage on that outlet when you're not on shore power. And this allows the TV to go into standby mode.

Do you have an inverter and transfer switch?

Jim
                    Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Santa61 -- thanks for that update.

TucsonJim -- I sure missed the mark on that one! Standby mode makes sense...but where the power is coming from to keep it in standby? That's a head-scratcher as AMires in TX is the thread OP with an Imagine and he has the exact same problem with the Roku.

Comment

Ok, so when the TV is plugged into the outlet and I plug my 30amp cord into the travel trailer (TT), the TV comes on by itself. I go into the TT and turn the power off with the remote. When I am plugged into the 30amp source and turn the breaker to the TV off and then back on, the TV does NOT come back on. When I'm plugged into the 30 amp source and the breaker to the TV is on, if I plug the TV into the outlet, the TV does NOT come on. The only time the TV comes on by itself is when I plug the 30amp source into the TT.

HOWEVER, in doing more research, I came across another possibility: In the Imagine XLS 17MKE, the TV is mounted right next to the TT control panel and the Jansen radio. One theory I've been presented with is: When the TT control panel receives power, it gives off a signal that is picked up by the TV and interpreted as the remote requesting the TV to power on. So 10 years law enforcement and 20 years occupational safety, I know NOTHING about TVs or theories behind electricity. But this does sound plausible...??? And if that's the case, it is a design flaw that can't be fixed. ?????
                        Allen and Cyndi
                        Ford-a Venture!!!
                        Ford F-350 and GD Solitude 382WB

Comment

Jim usually signs on later as he's out west, so can you do a bit more troubleshooting? If there's anything below that is unclear please stop and ask before proceeding!

I'll be working on my camper (putting the coroplast back up) so any further response from me may be delayed. Hopefully Jim signs on soon.

TROUBLESHOOTING TO ISOLATE THE ISSUE
                          1) Disconnect all of the cables behind the TV (connected to the TV!) except for the TCL's power cord (leave the AC power cord plugged in). Then go through the routine of unplugging from shore power (as if you were leaving) and then reconnecting. Give it a good 30 seconds between removing power and re-establishing power so any transient power is dissipated. Does the TV still turn on by itself? If the TV does NOT turn on stop troubleshooting and post the results.

2) If the TV DID power on in step 1 (with all the cables disconnected) remove shore power again. Using the trailer's battery disconnect, remove 12v power from the interior of the camper. On the Power Distribution Panel there should be a circuit breaker labeled "Converter". Turn that breaker off. (At this point the lights shouldn't work, radio is off, etc). Now turn shore power back on. Did the TV still power on by itself?

3) Re-establish the camper's power and TV connections:
                          1) Turn off shore power at the pedestal.
                          2) Reconnect your cables to the TV.
                          3) Turn on the Power Distribution Center's Converter circuit breaker.
                          4) Rotate the battery disconnect switch so battery power is once again passed to the camper. (Check it's in the right position and engaged by turning on an interior light.)
                          5) Turn on shore power at the pedestal.

Howard

Comment

Ok, so when the TV is plugged into the outlet and I plug my 30amp cord into the travel trailer (TT), the TV comes on by itself. I go into the TT and turn the power off with the remote. When I am plugged into the 30amp source and turn the breaker to the TV off and then back on, the TV does NOT come back on. When I'm plugged into the 30 amp source and the breaker to the TV is on, if I plug the TV into the outlet, the TV does NOT come on. The only time the TV comes on by itself is when I plug the 30amp source into the TT.

HOWEVER, in doing more research, I came across another possibility: In the Imagine XLS 17MKE, the TV is mounted right next to the TT control panel and the Jansen radio. One theory I've been presented with is: When the TT control panel receives power, it gives off a signal that is picked up by the TV and interpreted as the remote requesting the TV to power on. So 10 years law enforcement and 20 years occupational safety, I know NOTHING about TVs or theories behind electricity. But this does sound plausible...??? And if that's the case, it is a design flaw that can't be fixed. ?????
                            Actually, that is very plausible. Howard has a good trouble-shooting plan. I'd love to be there to work through this one.

Jim
                            Jim and Ginnie

Comment

"Ok, so when the TV is plugged into the outlet and I plug my 30amp cord into the travel trailer (TT), the TV comes on by itself."

When I read this I get concerned. If you are plugging into the post and then plugging into the TT you should not do this.

First make sure the breaker at the post is OFF.
                              Plug cord into TT.
                              Plug cord into socket at the post.
                              Turn ON breaker at the post.

I am not sure if this will fix your issue but wanted to clarify the proper technique for shore power hook up.

Brian

Brian & Michelle
                              2018 Reflection 29RS
                              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X