4th Time's a Charm???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Time's a Charm???

My wife and I bought a GD Imagine XLS 17MKE based on customer reviews on Quality and Customer Service. We bought in May 2020. We have been on 3 camping trips so far. Our first trip ended when the batteries died. After we got home we couldn't unhitch from the truck until we charged the batteries. The next Saturday we drove from Amarillo, TX to Lubbock, TX where we bought it for service. We found out the power inverter/converter was bad and wasn't charging the batteries. Pharr RV fixed it that day and we were able to drive it home.

The second trip ended when the Dometic 8 cu ft refrigerator stopped working. We lost about a days worth of food and had to drive into town and purchase a cooler to save the rest of what we could. The next Saturday we were back in Lubbock only to realize we had driven 2 hours 1 direction for the service guy to change a wire that had a diode in it because the wire wasn't hooked into the place it needed to be from the factory. We called GD Customer Service on this one but got no help.

The third trip ended when the water heater stopped working for no apparent reason. We had hot water on Friday night. But by Saturday afternoon it was luke warm at best and by Sunday it was just cold. At this point I was ready to take the TT back to the dealer, park it on the lot and just let them have it. 3 crappy trips because of crappy problems with QUALITY. But once again, the dealer, Pharr RV of Lubbock, came through and sent a service guy to my house in Amarillo. There was nothing wrong with the water heater. However, in the control panel in the trailer, the guy took off the face of the control panel and found where two wires that were supposed to be clipped into place with plastic clips, were not. They were not clipped into place from the factory. He also found another loose wire, as well. We called GD Customer Service on this one as well and were told about the wonderful warranty they have in place. I don't want your **** warranty, I want a travel trailer that doesn't fail every single time I take it out!!

We love our 17MKE. We love everything about it, except how it was put together. The customer service of our dealer is amazing and those guys have been great considering our 100% failure to have a successful camping trip. 3 trips. 3 failures. 100% dissatisfaction! Just like the customer reviews we read before purchasing, we write customer reviews, also! We are headed out for our 4th trip which we are taking this year instead of spending a week in Jamaica like we have every year.for our anniversary. Maybe the 4th time will be a charm....
    Allen and Cyndi
    Ford-a Venture!!!
    Ford F-350 and GD Solitude 382WB

Hang in there. You've had your share of gremlins. Normally we hear about how wonderful GDRV is and how rotten the dealerships are. Thank goodness you have a good dealer.

But I want to question the diagnosis on the water heater. If it was working at first then stopped, it would indicate the wire came loose instead of not getting connected at the factory. And if the water heater stopped working while you were sitting there, I wouldn't suspect road movement wiggling it loose. Is there any chance the wire came loose when they pulled the panel, and something else is causing the issue?

On a promising note, once the initial defects are taken care of, most rigs are pretty reliable.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I'm not sure. I know the water heater worked fine on Friday night. We didn't move the trailer, no high winds and nothing really would have effected the wires that I can think of. However, the wires were just "in the slots" and not really fastened down, as seen in the picture. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. But if you zoom in on the picture you can see where the two clips are not pushed in on the wires. All I know is that it worked, it didn't work, and when the service guy fixed those wires, it worked again. But for me to try to troubleshoot the problem, I know THAT is the last place I would have looked.

Don't get me wrong...we've had fun on our trips. We really like the features in our trailer and we've done several things to make it "ours." But as first time RV owners, it is more than beyond frustrating for something this big to go wrong on every single trip and listen to my friends and co-workers say things like, "We've had ours for 800 years and haven't had that many problems with it." Exaggeration, yes, but you get the point. The CS guy at GD said, "Well, it sounds like your dealer is taking care of you so what do you want from us?" Seriously??? I want someone above his pay grade to call me and tell me "I'm sorry we sold you a piece of crap!" But more than anything, I just want someone in the crystal palace of GD to know there was an issue so they can fix it before we decide to purchase our Solitude! And yes, there is no doubt we will be buying it from Pharr RV in Lubbock! Cannot stress that enough!
      Allen and Cyndi
      Ford-a Venture!!!
      Ford F-350 and GD Solitude 382WB

Comment

Working...
      X