Refrigerator in 2020 XLS 22MLE Slow to Cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator in 2020 XLS 22MLE Slow to Cool

We have used this trailer only 3 times now and it takes FOREVER for the refrigerator to cool down after turning it on. We have to pretty much leave all of our food in the cooler on ice until the end of the day. What are we doing wrong or is this refrigerator not working properly? Can anyone else give me some help or advice on this?
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

RV adsorption fridges (electric/propane) are notorious for being slow to cool down. If your fridge eventually gets to the correct temperature, it is likely working correctly ( to the best of its ability).

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by CampCinci View Post
      We have used this trailer only 3 times now and it takes FOREVER for the refrigerator to cool down after turning it on. We have to pretty much leave all of our food in the cooler on ice until the end of the day. What are we doing wrong or is this refrigerator not working properly? Can anyone else give me some help or advice on this?
      Long thread, but it has a lot of information you may find useful: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...p-with-cooling

This is another one that may contain helpful info: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...oling-properly

Bottom line: absorption RV refrigerators don't (and never will) work as good as the compressor ("residential") units in our homes. There are many strategies to mitigate their lack of efficiency, but it's a constant battle.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Your Imagine XLS 22MLE is equipped with a two door refrigerator which normally doesn't have the types of issues that the four door models Howard (Howson) is pointing to in the thread above. It sounds like your primary issue is how long it takes to get cool, not that it does not get acceptably cool. However, being an absorption refrigerator, it will take 24 hours (minimum) for it to get to a satisfactory temperature.

Most owners turn on their reefer 1-2 days before placing food into it. There are some ways to speed it up a little. After it's been on for 3-4 hours, place a block of ice or a large quantity of blue ice in the refrigerator section. This may shave a couple of hours off the cool down time. And make sure you keep the door closed as much as possible.

Once it gets to temperature, you want to make sure you maintain that temp. Make sure the food you place in it is as cold as possible before it goes in. Another good option is to get a small battery powered refrigerator fan that will circulate the cool air. Here's a link to one:

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Fr...AR4XYAN9HC7S87

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Your Imagine XLS 22MLE is equipped with a two door refrigerator which normally doesn't have the types of issues that the four door models Howard (Howson) is pointing to in the thread above. It sounds like your primary issue is how long it takes to get cool, not that it does not get acceptably cool. However, being an absorption refrigerator, it will take 24 hours (minimum) for it to get to a satisfactory temperature.

Most owners turn on their reefer 1-2 days before placing food into it. There are some ways to speed it up a little. After it's been on for 3-4 hours, place a block of ice or a large quantity of blue ice in the refrigerator section. This may shave a couple of hours off the cool down time. And make sure you keep the door closed as much as possible.

Once it gets to temperature, you want to make sure you maintain that temp. Make sure the food you place in it is as cold as possible before it goes in. Another good option is to get a small battery powered refrigerator fan that will circulate the cool air. Here's a link to one:

https://www.amazon.com/Beech-Lane-Fr...AR4XYAN9HC7S87

Jim
          If we turn on our refrigerator a day or 2 before we go camping, how does it stay cool while traveling to campsite and getting set up? Won't it be warm again by then? Right now we are camping within a 2 - 3 hour drive of our house. But we will eventually be taking longer trips to other states. Thanks for the suggestions!
          2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            RV adsorption fridges (electric/propane) are notorious for being slow to cool down. If your fridge eventually gets to the correct temperature, it is likely working correctly ( to the best of its ability).

Rob
            Yes once cool it is fine. Lots to learn! Thank you!
            2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Long thread, but it has a lot of information you may find useful: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...p-with-cooling

This is another one that may contain helpful info: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...oling-properly

Bottom line: absorption RV refrigerators don't (and never will) work as good as the compressor ("residential") units in our homes. There are many strategies to mitigate their lack of efficiency, but it's a constant battle.
              Thanks for the info!
              2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

This thread gets side tracked a bit talking about Gas Stops, but there is still many helpful inputs and opposing views on this issue that are informative if you're persistent and read all of it:
                https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...when-traveling
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

CampCinci

This may make a few "cringe" but we have traveled up to 6 hours with our refer turned off , no electric , no gas , with out any issues. We turn ours on about 3 or 4 days before trip and only add cold items. We never open on the day of the trip and pack a cooler for roadside stops , we can not access our fridge with slides in anyhow. We have even carried ice cubes in the freezer. On the other side I have run the fridge on very hot and humid days while traveling on gas. Just some thought on how we do it.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If we turn on our refrigerator a day or 2 before we go camping, how does it stay cool while traveling to campsite and getting set up? Won't it be warm again by then? Right now we are camping within a 2 - 3 hour drive of our house. But we will eventually be taking longer trips to other states. Thanks for the suggestions!
                    Living in Arizona, I'm frequently dealing with extreme high temperatures. Our food will be over 40°F within two hours, and unsafe after four hours. We when we're towing in high temperatures, we leave the gas turned on. I've taken polls in the past, and over 80% of owners tow with the gas refrigerators during hot spells.

Check out this experiment to see how long it will take for your food to be subjected to unsafe temperatures and possible food poisoning. Also note how long it takes for the refrigerator to recover when you turn it back on.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...d-temperatures
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

For my next trip (1st trip with my 22MLE) I was going to use toss a couple cooler freezer packs to my fridge. They do a good job in my cooler so I figure it might be worth a try. My previous camper was a Lance and I would travel with propane on. Sometimes when the wind came from the right direction it would prevent it from running.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      Don & Kim
                      2018 Ram Rebel 1500
                      2021 Grand Design 22MLE (on order)
                      2013 Lance (slightly used in 2016)
                      1990 Multiple Tents

Comment

This may have been mentioned in the thread links above, but check your thermistor to make sure it hasn’t slid or fallen out of its white plastic slider. It can be found in the back of the fridge on the right attached to the cooling fins. The higher the thermistor the cooler the fridge. I put a binder clip on mine to keep the thermistor from sliding down. See photo.

I also put two frozen quart jugs of water in the freezer and two on the upper rack of the fridge when I first turn it on. I have a small Camco battery fan in the fridge as well. This helps it cool faster. I do use propane when in transit.

2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                        2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                        Andersen WDH
                        Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
                        2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
                        2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

We have a wireless indoor / otdoor thermometer we take with us. I use it to check the fridge and freezer temps. And yes, I figure 24 hours for a full cool-down.
                          2017 Imagine 2650 & 2019 F-250 (Got tired of the F-150)

Comment

When we unhook from either home or campsite 30 amp service our fridge (like most) automatically switches over to LP and continues to cool like normal during the transit to our next campsite. You may want to check into your LP and / or fridge settings in case yours is not operating normally. There is a lot of conversation regarding leaving your LP tanks open 24x7 but I’m only responding to your current concern. Good Luck.
                            Dave and Sue
                            2020 GD 2250RK
                            2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                            Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                            GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                            SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

When we unhook from either home or campsite 30 amp service our fridge (like most) automatically switches over to LP and continues to cool like normal during the transit to our next campsite. You may want to check into your LP and / or fridge settings in case yours is not operating normally. There is a lot of conversation regarding leaving your LP tanks open 24x7 but I’m only responding to your current concern. Good Luck.
                              We have to manually switch it over to LP, which we aren't doing. Last weekend we decided to plug it in more than a day before we left. Then I bought a bunch of good freezer packs, froze bottled water and packed it with those items before we left. It cooled down a lot quicker doing this. Thanks to everyone for the info!!
                              2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Comment

Working...
                              X