Bug screen on appliances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug screen on appliances

Is there any issue with putting a bug screen on my fridge and water heater exhaust? Does it void any warranty or affect the operation of the appliance?
    John & Beata, Waterford, WI
    2021 Reflection 337 RLS
    2017 Ford F350 Lariat, Diesel, Crew Cab, Demco 21K Recon 5th Wheel Hitch
    1200 watts solar, Multiplus II, 4 BB batteries, Orion DC/DC charger

We have those hemispherical wire screens on our hot water exhaust because they flow air really well but I would be concerned about "any" disruption or interference with refrigerator air flow as it is marginal at best in RVs. Many folks install additional fans on their refrigerators to get more air flow.

In fact, I'm not sure the ones we have for the water heater are any more than a placebo.
    2017 310GK

Comment

Originally posted by John L View Post
      Is there any issue with putting a bug screen on my fridge and water heater exhaust? Does it void any warranty or affect the operation of the appliance?
      The official answer from the OEMs will be "NO" to adding a bug screen anywhere.

I've added screens anyway. I've noticed no difference in refrigerator, heater, or water heater performance.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...frigerator-mod

If there's an issue with the water heater or propane heater it's easy to pop off the exterior screens prior to taking the trailer in for service. The screens on the refrigerator vents are another story...so probably best to wait until warranty is up if you don't want the hassle of a dealer using the screen as an excuse for not repairing a fault.

Again, OEMs say "no" so installation is dependent on your tolerance for risk.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_3980.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	26150

Howard
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have bug screens on all three locations: furnace, water heater, and fridge. Where I live and store the rv there are a lot of wasps. Without screens I'd most likely be fighting wasps on a regular basis.

With that said my refrigerator vents to the roof. I only have screens on the lower vent. Maybe I should check that upper/roof vent area. Would hate for wasps to get in there.

Charles and Susan
        2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
        Andersen Hitch
        2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Working...
        X