Is the wall backing solid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the wall backing solid?

To hang a TV? Small 22". I would assume this is the same Winegard antenne.
    Bill & Cindy
    2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
    SE Texas

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
    If the TV backer location is on an exterior wall, the backing material is sheet metal. You can use a magnet to locate the perimeter of the panel.
    If the TV backer is located on an interior wall, the backing material is plywood. You can typically use a stud finder to thump the wall to locate the perimeter of the backer.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...tvs-tv-prepped
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I hung a 32” in my 2250RK BR at what appears to be the same location in your pic. Highly recommend to not exceed 3/4” screws. I would imagine for a 22” TV that 1/2” would work fine but that’s only a guess on my part.
        Dave and Sue
        2020 GD 2250RK
        2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
        Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
        GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
        SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

If the TV backer location is on an exterior wall, the backing material is sheet metal. You can use a magnet to locate the perimeter of the panel.
          If the TV backer is located on an interior wall, the backing material is plywood. You can typically use a stud finder to thump the wall to locate the perimeter of the backer.

Jim
          I should have mentioned that it is on an exterior wall. Sheet metal inside the wall?

Thanks for the link.

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

I hung a 32” in my 2250RK BR at what appears to be the same location in your pic. Highly recommend to not exceed 3/4” screws. I would imagine for a 22” TV that 1/2” would work fine but that’s only a guess on my part.
          1/2" should be plenty I would think. Looking at a mount that will allow the tv to swivel.

Bill & Cindy
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Yes sir, Use a strong magnet and you should be able to accurately locate the location and size of the panel. A word of caution though. It is just sheet metal. You don't want to over-tighten the screws or you could strip out the sheet metal.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I'll repeat the advice in the linked thread.

Wrap a piece of plywood in felt (to make it look nice) and secure it with 6 screws across the entire plate, and then put the TV Bracket onto the plywood. This will better distribute the weight across the metal plate.
              Mike
              2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

I should have mentioned that it is on an exterior wall. Sheet metal inside the wall?
                Yes, but just in case it isn't clear from the responses rec'd it's only a small PANEL of sheet metal in the wall specifically for a small TV mount, not the whole wall.
                Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Update: I contacted GD and was told there was a 5/8" piece of plywood in the wall. I could not get them to tell me if it filled the cavity or not.
                  Bill & Cindy
                  2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                  SE Texas

Comment

Final update: I mounted the TV yesterday. I ended up with a piece of solid wood, 5/8" thick that my wife covered. The wall mount was inexpensive. Here is the result.
                    Attached Files
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X