Winegard 360+ V other options for cell/network connectivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winegard 360+ V other options for cell/network connectivity

Hello all, 2020 Reflection 315RLTS, standard issue is the Winegard 360 which works ok picking up local signals for the news etc. However to utilize Netflix, Prime Video and other services that require a speedy connection and hooking up computers/IPads etc. I am considering the 360+ with a data package, I have used my cell phone to tether the TV to also but watching movies etc. eats up the phones data.
    I know there are several pieces of hardware out there that can also supply high speed data networks such as skyroam, just wondering what experience the group has with the various options. Some folks I have seen just use an old phone with a dedicated data package..Looking for thoughts and recommendations.
    I would think with the winegard 360+ it would be a direct replacement to the 360 with the added router underneath.
    FYI traveling in Canada and the US once the borders reopen!

Thanks for any words of wisdom.
    Steve and Tammy Robinson - 2020 Reflection 315RLTS, 2020 RAM 3500 6.7 Turbo Diesel SRW, Short Box.

Originally posted by Stevocanada View Post
    Hello all, 2020 Reflection 315RLTS, standard issue is the Winegard 360 which works ok picking up local signals for the news etc. However to utilize Netflix, Prime Video and other services that require a speedy connection and hooking up computers/IPads etc. I am considering the 360+ with a data package, I have used my cell phone to tether the TV to also but watching movies etc. eats up the phones data.
    I know there are several pieces of hardware out there that can also supply high speed data networks such as skyroam, just wondering what experience the group has with the various options. Some folks I have seen just use an old phone with a dedicated data package..Looking for thoughts and recommendations.
    I would think with the winegard 360+ it would be a direct replacement to the 360 with the added router underneath.

Have you read my thread on installing a WInegard 360+ in my 315RLTS? https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ion-in-315rlts
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Howard, yes I did, thanks, I think my install should If go that way be much easier as I already have the 360, therefore it should already have the power and cable, just really adding the Wifi/cell functionality, by drilling a small hole in the ceiling for the router wires. I read from your article the 360+ works well.
      cheers
      Steve and Tammy Robinson - 2020 Reflection 315RLTS, 2020 RAM 3500 6.7 Turbo Diesel SRW, Short Box.

Comment

Howard, yes I did, thanks, I think my install should If go that way be much easier as I already have the 360, therefore it should already have the power and cable, just really adding the Wifi/cell functionality, by drilling a small hole in the ceiling for the router wires. I read from your article the 360+ works well.
        cheers
        The 12v power may not be available where you think it will--the standard Winegard does not require power. You may end up with the same problem I had.

Click image for larger version

Name:	360 vs 360+.JPG
Views:	3851
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	28479

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Oh Ok thanks for the info, if I do go this way I will post my findings, thanks again.

Comment

The Winegard Air 360+ appears to be the way to go for us. My wife isn't retired yet and may need to do a little work while traveling so this is more a necessity than a want. A guy in the IT field (from a Facebook RV group) is saying he went this way and it was the best solution he has seen. The cost seems less as well.

Having said that, I was reading this section in the owner's manual last night and the highlighted portion jumped out at me. Maybe this is on newer models? Anyway, the highlighted area indicates 12 volt power is at the Winegard location already if I'm interpreting this correctly. Thoughts?
            Attached Files
            Bill & Cindy
            2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
            2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
            SE Texas

Comment

Originally posted by BillinTexas View Post
              The Winegard Air 360+ appears to be the way to go for us. My wife isn't retired yet and may need to do a little work while traveling so this is more a necessity than a want. A guy in the IT field (from a Facebook RV group) is saying he went this way and it was the best solution he has seen. The cost seems less as well.

Having said that, I was reading this section in the owner's manual last night and the highlighted portion jumped out at me. Maybe this is on newer models? Anyway, the highlighted area indicates 12 volt power is at the Winegard location already if I'm interpreting this correctly. Thoughts?
              Depends on the layout of your trailer. A 315RLTS has it's antenna ("Winegard") above the bedroom dresser. The booster (with the 12v) is behind the TV in the living room.

Click image for larger version  Name:	booster.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	28769

If there's a plate under the antenna (in my case the bedroom ceiling above the dresser) there's an Air 360+ installed in the trailer. Having the plate means there will probably be wiring for the router (must be purchased separately). No plate--the trailer has an Air 360, so likely no wiring.

Edited to put in correct names--easily confused!

Click image for larger version  Name:	hole cover.JPG Views:	0 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	28770
              Last edited by howson; 09-05-2020, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Howard, ours is about the center of the roof near the back 1/4. The booster is like yours though a different wall location. I suppose the part that sticks out to me is "the booster sends 12 volt DC power to the roof antenna". Ours is the regular Air 360 with no plate under it that I see. I will look again when the sun comes up. I'm planning to call GD service next week to clarify the TV wall backer in my particular RV so may ask for clarification of that as well.
                Bill & Cindy
                2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                SE Texas

Comment

Howard, ours is about the center of the roof near the back 1/4. The booster is like yours though a different wall location. I suppose the part that sticks out to me is "the booster sends 12 volt DC power to the roof antenna". I'm planning to call GD service next week to clarify the TV wall backer in my particular RV so may ask for clarification of that as well.
                  The booster itself does not send power to the antenna. GD may have the Winegard Air 360+ and the booster on the same 12v circuit, but one does not control the other. They are separate components that each require 12v power. Look again at the WInegard Air 360+ diagram below and you can visually see this setup.

Does your unit have a Air 360+ or 360 Air?

Click image for larger version  Name:	12v.JPG Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	28774

Comment

It is the regular Air 360.
                    Bill & Cindy
                    2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                    SE Texas

Comment

It is the regular Air 360.
                      Can you put your year & model of trailer in your sig line, please? I wanted to look at a floorplan but don't know what you have. (Putting in sig line means you don't have to repeat the info over and over each post.)

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts

Comment

Thanks very much for the link. I totally looked over it the other day when I updated my profile. Had to really look today as well.

I went to Winegard's website and looked at the diagram and it is definitely different.
                        Bill & Cindy
                        2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
                        SE Texas

Comment

Howard, FYI our 2020 315RLTS has the winegard 360 above the dinette area, but as you say the booster is behind the living room TV, I will have to find a 12vdc supply, I am thinking that I may be able to fish something across from the control panel, I am thinking I could use the porch light as the supply??

Steve.

Comment

Howard, FYI our 2020 315RLTS has the winegard 360 above the dinette area, but as you say the booster is behind the living room TV, I will have to find a 12vdc supply, I am thinking that I may be able to fish something across from the control panel, I am thinking I could use the porch light as the supply??

Steve.
                            Maybe your "fishing" skills are better than mine, 'cause I couldn't figure out how to get from one spot above the ceiling to another. The rafters are not tall and there's a lot of insulation and wiring. There's also the a/c "racetrack", too.

I didn't elaborate on the subject in my install thread, but I tried repeatedly to get the bedroom light 12v power up the wall and across the ceiling to where the bedroom TV is mounted for the Winegard Air 360+'s router. (One side of the bedroom light switch is always "hot" so it would have been perfect for the router.) To make a longer story short, I'd have had to remove all the wall board between the door and closet (where the light switch and thermostat are mounted) to drill new holes in the top plate of the wall. From there I could have snaked the wire across the ceiling (reaching through the holes in the ceiling after removing the lights) but I eventually gave up. As documented in my thread, I went with a 120v > 12v power adapter (from an old laptop) which is plugged into a small UPS. The info and pics are in the original thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ion-in-315rlts

Comment

Stevocanada in response to your question about other solutions. I opted to go with a different setup for my mobile internet needs. The Wineguard gear had fairly mixed reviews and didn’t provide the functionality I wanted so I used the ultimate road warrior bundle from MobileMustHave. This gives me the ability to have 2 different carriers to solve for coverage challenges and the antenna comes with a great WiFi booster and MiMo for cellular. This solutions will also allow you to swap out SIMs so when you hit Canada you could get a local pre-paid SIM to save on cost. I went for a higher end system because I need to do video conference calls regularly but there are lower spec solutions if you don’t need that. The folks at https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/ have a lot of good information around making the right choice.
                              ​​​​​​​
                              https://www.mobilemusthave.com/Ultim...dle_p_168.html
                              2020 303RLS - RAM 2500 Diesel - Anderson Ultimate Hitch
                              Full timing

Comment

Working...
                              X