Loud Refrigerator Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

I didn't use either. The fridge had the factory fan because of no roof vent (fridge in the slide) so there is a thermostat attached to the condenser coil. By using the factory connector the fans operate off of the factory thermostat. I am assuming the included thermostats would be used if you had a roof vent on your fridge and there was no fan factory installed. If you are adding/installing the fans on either the vents or in the shaft and NOT replacing an already existing fan you would need to use one of the two thermostats.

Here in Florida it wouldn't matter which one I used, the fans would always be on.
    Thanks, my fridge isn't in a slide, but there is no roof vent.
    2020 Imagine MK2670
    2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Gas 6.6L

Comment

Originally posted by chrisopy View Post

Thanks, my fridge isn't in a slide, but there is no roof vent.
      In that case I would probably go with the lower rated thermostat that came in the kit. I figure the cooler the fridge runs the better the results. But I am not an absorption fridge or regular fridge expert. It seems the hotter it is outside the less effective the absorption fridge is so the goal would be to keep it cool.
      Mike & Lisa
      Central Florida
      2021 Imagine 2970RL
      1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

In that case I would probably go with the lower rated thermostat that came in the kit. I figure the cooler the fridge runs the better the results. But I am not an absorption fridge or regular fridge expert. It seems the hotter it is outside the less effective the absorption fridge is so the goal would be to keep it cool.
        Yeah, I can't say I've really noticed a problem with my fridge cooling, but I just ordered thermometers to keep inside to check. I more or less wanted to add another fan to keep the fins cooler and not wear out the single fan to quick. I think I read the factory thermostat is set at maybe 135.
        2020 Imagine MK2670
        2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Gas 6.6L

Comment

Tigger1 I finally got my fans in. How can I tell which wire is speed control, the hot wire, and ground? Of course nothing is labelled.
          2120 Imagine 2670MK
          2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

Originally posted by scdock View Post
            Tigger1 I finally got my fans in. How can I tell which wire is speed control, the hot wire, and ground? Of course nothing is labelled.
            The solid line symbol on the connector was the ground on mine. The middle wire was hot. If all else fails clip the black connector, strip all three wires, then hold them to a 12v battery and see which two power the fan then label them. That’s how I figured it out.

When you install them make sure they’re pointed in the correct direction, the side with the detailed info. up.
            2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
            2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
            Andersen WDH
            Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
            2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
            2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

It's possible the fan can run in two different directions depending on how it's wired, so look (and feel) to ensure the air is moving in the direction intended.
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Tigger1 , howson Thanks for the feedback. After some trial and error I was able to determine the middle wire was hot. Both fans are connected and working well. I can't believe how quiet they are compared to the one that came with our unit. Thanks again for the assistance.
                2120 Imagine 2670MK
                2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

I hadn’t seen this thread before tonight. Which refrigerator model seems to making the noise? The reason I ask is that we have the Dometic 1350. It was fairly quiet at first, but became louder as time went by. After a few months, it was quite loud. Of course, when it wasn’t running and the fans were not operating, it was totallu quiet.

While it was still under warranty, we took it in for a couple of issues and had them check the fridge fans. It turned out that the mounting bracket for the fans had cracked and was getting worse. That was replaced and we don’t even hear the fridge any more. If it’s running and the fans are on, you can just hear them if you stand by the fridge and listen carefully.

Just a thought...
                  Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                  Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                  2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                  Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                  Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Tom in PGH View Post
                    I hadn’t seen this thread before tonight. Which refrigerator model seems to making the noise? The reason I ask is that we have the Dometic 1350. It was fairly quiet at first, but became louder as time went by. After a few months, it was quite loud. Of course, when it wasn’t running and the fans were not operating, it was totallu quiet.

While it was still under warranty, we took it in for a couple of issues and had them check the fridge fans. It turned out that the mounting bracket for the fans had cracked and was getting worse. That was replaced and we don’t even hear the fridge any more. If it’s running and the fans are on, you can just hear them if you stand by the fridge and listen carefully.

Just a thought...
                    It’s not the fridge model, it’s the fan that is installed in back of the fridges which are in slides. Since the fridge is in the slide, there is no permanent roof vent for cooling. So cooling is achieved with a small, single, OEM 12v fan behind the fridge.

I have read other threads suggesting the fan may not be tight and thus causing vibration. I checked mine before doing any mods and the screws were so tight I couldn’t tighten them any further. As a matter of fact when I replaced the OEM fan I had to bear down to loosen the screws.

The problem as I see it is high RPM fans that cause vibration that can be heard inside and outside of the trailer. It’s annoying. Once I installed the two new fans that run at 1900 RPM rather than 2500 RPM, the noise went away. Plus each fan moves more air individually then the OEM fan.
                    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                    Andersen WDH
                    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Agree with Tigger1 I had a hard time removing the OEM fan as well, especially in the tight space where it is located. After I added the 2 fans I can barely hear them when on a ladder with the top vent off. The only downside is I'll now have to check them occasionally to make sure they are still working. They are rated for 8,000 hours but that's in an enclosed computer cabinet so not sure what the longevity will be in a travel trailer. Regardless, it was definitely worth the upgrade.
                      2120 Imagine 2670MK
                      2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

Agree with Tigger1 I had a hard time removing the OEM fan as well, especially in the tight space where it is located. After I added the 2 fans I can barely hear them when on a ladder with the top vent off. The only downside is I'll now have to check them occasionally to make sure they are still working. They are rated for 8,000 hours but that's in an enclosed computer cabinet so not sure what the longevity will be in a travel trailer. Regardless, it was definitely worth the upgrade.
                        I agree about they’re so quiet it’s a little difficult to know they’re running. What I did is in the morning when it’s cooler open the freezer and listen. Then when it gets warmer with the sun out do the same thing. You’ll be able to tell the difference and can hear them.
                        2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                        2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                        Andersen WDH
                        2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Thanks for the tip Tigger1
                          2120 Imagine 2670MK
                          2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

We just returned from our first outing, a shakedown outing really. Three nights at a nearby state park. That is the one thing we found was the refrigerator fan was way too LOUD!. I ordered a replacement pair from Appliance and Air off Ebay. Here is the URL https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RV-Boat-Refrigerator-Cooling-Fans-ON-OFF-Thermostat-Wiring-Hardware-FAST-Ship/123239868851?epid=2221036107&hash=item1cb1ab29b3:g :BmYAAOSwNmhes2PC
                            I ordered them on Tuesday afternoon and they were delivered today. I will be working on this replacement/upgrade this weekend.

I located these after researching on forums and a couple YT videos. The kit seems to be very complete with all the parts that would be needed.
                            That's actually a good choice! It's not that loud, imho

upd. Didn't see the page 2, sorry

Comment

Working...
                            X