Loud Refrigerator Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loud Refrigerator Fan

Hello, this is my first post to the forum. I recently purchased a 2670MK which has been great so far, however the refrigerator fan is very loud. I would like to replace with something that, I hope, will be much quieter. The space for the fan can take up to 100mm X 100mm. Does anyone have any suggestions which fan would be best?
    Last edited by howson; 12-02-2020, 03:31 PM.
    2120 Imagine 2670MK
    2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Originally posted by scdock View Post
    Hello, this is my first post to the forum. I recently purchased a 2670MK which has been great so far, however the refrigerator fan is very loud. I would like to replace with something that, I hope, will be much quieter. The space for the fan can take up to 100mm X 100mm. Does anyone have any suggestions which fan would be best?
    We just returned from our first outing, a shakedown outing really. Three nights at a nearby state park. That is the one thing we found was the refrigerator fan was way too LOUD!. I ordered a replacement pair from Appliance and Air off Ebay. Here is the URL https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-RV-Boat-R...YAAOSwNmhes2PC
    I ordered them on Tuesday afternoon and they were delivered today. I will be working on this replacement/upgrade this weekend.

I located these after researching on forums and a couple YT videos. The kit seems to be very complete with all the parts that would be needed.
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did order this kit but had to return as the fan size, 120mm, is too large for the space I have in the 2670MK.
      2120 Imagine 2670MK
      2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

scdock Agree, stock fridge fan is noisy. Bought two of these from amazon and are much quieter, can hardly hear them running unless I put my ear into the freezer. Fit perfectly into existing holes.

OEM Fan ADDA vs. Pure Wings 2 92mm
        25dBA vs. 18.6dBA
        30CFM vs. 33.15CFM
        2500rpm vs. 1900rpm

Only trick is new ones are 3-pin, original is 2-pin. New ones have 3 black wires, one hot, one ground, one speed control. Tape off speed control wire since it’s not needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	68B11DA1-3FFF-4535-B5D0-F9ED87DFC8C2.jpeg
Views:	1512
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	28659

2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
        2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        Andersen WDH
        Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
        2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
        2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

@Tigger1.....Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into adding these fans. I had seen some others with 3 wires and wasn't sure they would work. Good to know the one wire isn't needed. I'll post back once received and installed.
          2120 Imagine 2670MK
          2016 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did order this kit but had to return as the fan size, 120mm, is too large for the space I have in the 2670MK.
            I got my new fans installed last night. Comment on the fan size by scdock had me concerned. They barely fit, or is it they fit perfectly. The ones I ordered from Appliance and Air are 4-11/16 inches. They went from the mounting bracket to the wall. Hook-up was real easy and they are super quiet. I reused the factory connector. Moving a good bit of air as well. Especially with the two fans instead of the single.
            Mike & Lisa
            Central Florida
            2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Is there a reason that these fans make so much noise that we'd have to replace or install new fans? We were just having this conversation today since ours is making such a racket. Thanks for any information.

Comment

Originally posted by Marge S. View Post
                Is there a reason that these fans make so much noise that we'd have to replace or install new fans? We were just having this conversation today since ours is making such a racket. Thanks for any information.
                Marge S. High RPMs. The ADDA fan that came in my 22mle is 2500rpm, whereas for example, the ones I replaced them with are 1900rpm.
                2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L
                2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
                Andersen WDH
                Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
                2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
                2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by Marge S. View Post
                  You may just have a loose attachment point on the an , I think there is only two screws in mine. We have the single fan and although I hear it once and a while it is not annoying.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

I just went out there to continue packing up for our camping trip tomorrow. It's not making a noise at the moment. I've read that heat can cause the fan to make noise too???? I know my husband won't attempt to change anything in the unit. If anything, we'll live with the noise or have the dealership take care of it. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

You may just have a loose attachment point on the an , I think there is only two screws in mine. We have the single fan and although I hear it once and a while it is not annoying.

Brian
                      Mine had both screws installed and it was securely attached. I believe the high RPMs caused the noise, technically vibration. I found the loudness to be unbearable especially when you are in the peaceful outdoors. The noise was loud inside and outside. I'm guessing the loudness may differ based on the type of fridge and the mounting location.

I found it to be more beneficial for me to change the fans than taking it to my servicing dealer located 2 hours away. And based on other posts found they probably would have replaced it with the same noisy fan. I was pleasantly surprised with my fans being mounted right at the bottom of the top vent. I was expecting them to be mounted about in the middle of the bottom and top vents and the replacement was going to be tough. It took me about 30 minutes to swap out the single fan with two new fans.

As for when it is on, it comes on when the coil reaches a preset temperature. The fan is necessary to cool the condenser coil and aid in cooling the fridge. So living in very warm Florida, our fan is on almost ALL of the time!
                      Mike & Lisa
                      Central Florida
                      2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

Mine had both screws installed and it was securely attached. I believe the high RPMs caused the noise, technically vibration. I found the loudness to be unbearable especially when you are in the peaceful outdoors. The noise was loud inside and outside. I'm guessing the loudness may differ based on the type of fridge and the mounting location.

I found it to be more beneficial for me to change the fans than taking it to my servicing dealer located 2 hours away. And based on other posts found they probably would have replaced it with the same noisy fan. I was pleasantly surprised with my fans being mounted right at the bottom of the top vent. I was expecting them to be mounted about in the middle of the bottom and top vents and the replacement was going to be tough. It took me about 30 minutes to swap out the single fan with two new fans.

As for when it is on, it comes on when the coil reaches a preset temperature. The fan is necessary to cool the condenser coil and aid in cooling the fridge. So living in very warm Florida, our fan is on almost ALL of the time!
                        I am wanting to add a fan or replace my current one with two quieter ones. I also have the mk2670 as the original poster. Any tips for wiring two compared to the one? Did you combine the two positives to one post on the 12v DC block? I haven't looked at it in a while.
                        2020 Imagine MK2670
                        2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Gas 6.6L

Comment

Originally posted by chrisopy View Post

I am wanting to add a fan or replace my current one with two quieter ones. I also have the mk2670 as the original poster. Any tips for wiring two compared to the one? Did you combine the two positives to one post on the 12v DC block? I haven't looked at it in a while.
                          I reused the factory connector from the existing single fan. I removed the original single fan and unhooked the white connector. I then wired the two new fans into the connector. All positives (red) to the red lead on the factory connector and all negatives (black) to the negative lead on the factory connector. Installed the fans to the exiting bracket and reconnected the factory connector. I used wire nuts on the wire leads and taped them as well.
                          Mike & Lisa
                          Central Florida
                          2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post

I reused the factory connector from the existing single fan. I removed the original single fan and unhooked the white connector. I then wired the two new fans into the connector. All positives (red) to the red lead on the factory connector and all negatives (black) to the negative lead on the factory connector. Installed the fans to the exiting bracket and reconnected the factory connector. I used wire nuts on the wire leads and taped them as well.
                            Thanks for the instructions. I see the kit you bought came with two different thermostats, which one did you end up using?
                            2020 Imagine MK2670
                            2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 Gas 6.6L

Comment

Originally posted by chrisopy View Post

Thanks for the instructions. I see the kit you bought came with two different thermostats, which one did you end up using?
                              I didn't use either. The fridge had the factory fan because of no roof vent (fridge in the slide) so there is a thermostat attached to the condenser coil. By using the factory connector the fans operate off of the factory thermostat. I am assuming the included thermostats would be used if you had a roof vent on your fridge and there was no fan factory installed. If you are adding/installing the fans on either the vents or in the shaft and NOT replacing an already existing fan you would need to use one of the two thermostats.

Here in Florida it wouldn't matter which one I used, the fans would always be on.
                              Mike & Lisa
                              Central Florida
                              2021 Imagine 2970RL

Comment

Working...
                              X