Refrigerator not cooling properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refrigerator not cooling properly

I have a 2019 reflection 303rls 5th wheel in which the refrigerator does not cool properly. Have had to the dealer 3 times and it is still not working properly. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Cooperman View Post
    I have a 2019 reflection 303rls 5th wheel in which the refrigerator does not cool properly. Have had to the dealer 3 times and it is still not working properly. Any suggestions?
    Can you be more specific? What model refrigerator? What do you mean by "not working properly"? In electric mode, gas mode, or both?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

New owner 6/29/19 of the Momentum 349 M Toy Hauler. Have not been able to use it yet, very unhappy. 7 Weeks at dealer. Norcold series 2118 refrigerator only freezer is ok. Refrigerator will not cool down. Dealer and Norcold keep going back and forth for a fix. To no avail Norcold keeps wanting more test to be done. The previous test and parts did not work. My summer vacation in a new rig is Gone. Where do I go now? Have you had any luck with yours?
      Making payments but can’t use it.

Trashman

Comment

Originally posted by Trashman View Post
        New owner 6/29/19 of the Momentum 349 M Toy Hauler. Have not been able to use it yet, very unhappy. 7 Weeks at dealer. Norcold series 2118 refrigerator only freezer is ok. Refrigerator will not cool down. Dealer and Norcold keep going back and forth for a fix. To no avail Norcold keeps wanting more test to be done. The previous test and parts did not work. My summer vacation in a new rig is Gone. Where do I go now? Have you had any luck with yours?
        Making payments but can’t use it.

Trashman
        Trashman,
        I suggest you call Grand Design's Customer Service team on Tuesday (they're closed for Labor Day). Their number is 574-825-9679. Have the last six digits of your VIN as they'll need it to establish the work order.

Please post back after talking with customer service.

-Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

My 2018 Reflection 337 had issues with the refrigerator fluctuating from 34 to 41 degrees. I contacted Blue dog where I purchased it and after review they found the doors were warped. I called Grand Design and they said it is possible from the manufacturer and it makes the doors not close properly. Thank goodness it was under warranty and they are replacing them.

Comment

Hi all,
            When I got home with my New Momentum 349 M I took the first few days checking systems out. After 2 days of running the Refrigerator either on shore power or Propane
            the freezer did great. But the refrigerator would not cool down at all. I went to the forum and tried some of the problems others have had with the door shims or warped doors. Mine seemed to be tight and sealing properly. My 349 M is still at the dealers. I will be giving customer service another call today.
            Thank you all for your thoughts.

Trashman Momentum 349 M

Comment

Originally posted by Trashman View Post
              Hi all, When I got home with my New Momentum 349 M I took the first few days checking systems out. After 2 days of running the Refrigerator either on shore power or Propane
              the freezer did great. But the refrigerator would not cool down at all. I went to the forum and tried some of the problems others have had with the door shims or warped doors. Mine seemed to be tight and sealing properly. My 349 M is still at the dealers. I will be giving customer service another call today. Thank you all for your thoughts. Trashman Momentum 349 M
              Assuming that you have a four-door fridge such as the Norcold 2118, you mention "door shims" and "warped doors" but you don't say anything about the flap between the doors. Just in case you've missed that, it is by far the most common problem with these fridges. The flap on the (probably) left-hand door must close to the same plane as the front of the fridge so that the right-hand door can seal tightly against it.

If you find yours isn't closing there is an easy remedy, post again to ask about it. Good luck.
              Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

I have a 2018 351m with the Norcold 2118 refrigerator and encountered same problems cold freezer and refrigerator not cooing enough. I have had temps from 35 to 62. Had it at the dealers and I complained about the inner door seal not closing all the way (they fixed that) so we will see how that does but also the fans behind the refrigerator would only run for about a minute and shut down. No one can tell me how long they should run because they claim there is a sensor that cuts it on and off. I can tell you that 1 minute is not enough. Going on second camping trip since out of shop and will see what happens. Your would think NORCOLD would recognize a problem and fix it since so many people complain about it. I was told that because it was in a slide that the best on 90+days is 42 to 44 degrees. If anyone has another solution to the Norcold problem I am all ears. I actually thought about adding fans in the rear.

DAY

Comment

Is there any spec for the ambient temperature operating range in which the refrigerator is supposed to provide adequate temps? I looked in service manual, but that wasn't one of the specs provided. We're running in the high 40°s, but we're in southern Arizona where the afternoon temps are around 110°. The highest I've seen it is 52°. It hasn't been below 42° in a few weeks, even overnight (lows in the mid to upper 80°s). Even though we have a 2018 310GK, the refrigerator was replaced at GDRV service in September--so if something is wrong, I want to get a service call logged now. The flap is sealing OK. I had to fix that in the previous refrigerator, so that was one of the first things I checked. I also have extra fans in the chimney.

Our workaround is that we bought a $69 dorm refrigerator for our critical perishables.

Thanks for any info.
                  -Al
                  Al and Kathe
                  :No longer full-time. New sticks and bricks in East Helena, MT

2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett)
                  2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)

Visited states map on the blog (below)
                  Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Comment

Originally posted by lobsters View Post
                    Is there any spec for the ambient temperature operating range in which the refrigerator is supposed to provide adequate temps? I looked in service manual, but that wasn't one of the specs provided. We're running in the high 40°s, but we're in southern Arizona where the afternoon temps are around 110°. The highest I've seen it is 52°. It hasn't been below 42° in a few weeks, even overnight (lows in the mid to upper 80°s). Even though we have a 2018 310GK, the refrigerator was replaced at GDRV service in September--so if something is wrong, I want to get a service call logged now. The flap is sealing OK. I had to fix that in the previous refrigerator, so that was one of the first things I checked. I also have extra fans in the chimney.

Our workaround is that we bought a $69 dorm refrigerator for our critical perishables.

Thanks for any info.
                    -Al
                    The DW and I were just discussing the temps in our Dometic 1350 this morning. As I sit here it is 37 degrees in the fridge after running all night with the a/c on. I saw it rise into the mid-40s yesterday (it was HOT in middle Georgia!).

I've got extra fans, baffle removed, slide toppers...everything and everything to try and get this refrigerator to consistently work. At breakfast this morning we came to the conclusion the refrigerator is not worth investing any more time and energy trying to get it to work correctly. As with many items that came with this camper, it will be replaced. (Note that the replacement compressors to retrofit this Dometic will not fit in the space available in my 315RLTS per the company's technicians--I've already asked.) Thankfully I have the electrical system in place to run the residential.

I could go on a rant right now, but I'll refrain. There's nothing I can write that hasn't been written already by others.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

The DW and I were just discussing the temps in our Dometic 1350 this morning. As I sit here it is 37 degrees in the fridge after running all night with the a/c on. I saw it rise into the mid-40s yesterday (it was HOT in middle Georgia!).

I've got extra fans, baffle removed, slide toppers...everything and everything to try and get this refrigerator to consistently work. At breakfast this morning we came to the conclusion the refrigerator is not worth investing any more time and energy trying to get it to work correctly. As with many items that came with this camper, it will be replaced. (Note that the replacement compressors to retrofit this Dometic will not fit in the space available in my 315RLTS per the company's technicians--I've already asked.) Thankfully I have the electrical system in place to run the residential.

I could go on a rant right now, but I'll refrain. There's nothing I can write that hasn't been written already by others.

Probably the best upgrade I’ve made Howard. Once you’ve got the power to support it you can’t beat the reliability, space abs features. Plus if something goes wrong with it it’s fraction of the cost to replace. I can’t recommend it enough.

Neil Citro
                      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Probably the best upgrade I’ve made Howard. Once you’ve got the power to support it you can’t beat the reliability, space abs features. Plus if something goes wrong with it it’s fraction of the cost to replace. I can’t recommend it enough.
                        Neil--did you do a write-up? If "yes", can you point me to it? If not, what model residential did you choose and why? Any "lessons learned" I can apply before tackling the project?

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Howard,

We had to replace the cooling unit on our Norcold 1210 when it was less than two years old (leaked all of the refrigerant). After that, we had issues with the "recall box" (the overheat safety cut-off module) and had to do a "fridge reboot" at least twice due to air-lock or chemical membranes in the cooling unit (according to good RV techs). When it was working reliably, the fridge would stay at 38 - 40 and the freezer at 5 - 10... but we were always paranoid about it. After almost five years of the resulting stress I was over the absorption fridge. When we were ordering the Solitude I was adamant that I wanted the residential fridge - Laura wasn't so sure. She was concerned that there would be times that we would need to run on propane and I had to keep reminding her that the propane mode on the fridge (and water heater, for than matter) were only good as long as there were 12 volts to power the controls, fans, etc. (we didn't have solar or a generator on the Reflection). I finally convinced her that solar, an inverter, and a couple of good LiFePO4 batteries would give us more functionality and better performance with the residential refrigerator - not to mention reduce the consumption of antacids and headache and sleeping medications. Now, even after a long travel day with stops, the fridge is always at 38, the freezer at -5, and the solar charger on float because the batteries are still at full charge. It's a move I don't think you'll regret.

Rob
                          Rob & Laura
                          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
                          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
                          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

For food safety concerns the recommended temperature for a refrigerator is 40° or less with the optimum temperature at 37°.

Charles and Susan
                            2021 Ram 3500 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
                            Andersen Hitch
                            2021 Reflection 337rls

Comment

Originally posted by Second Chance View Post

Howard,

We had to replace the cooling unit on our Norcold 1210 when it was less than two years old (leaked all of the refrigerant). After that, we had issues with the "recall box" (the overheat safety cut-off module) and had to do a "fridge reboot" at least twice due to air-lock or chemical membranes in the cooling unit (according to good RV techs). When it was working reliably, the fridge would stay at 38 - 40 and the freezer at 5 - 10... but we were always paranoid about it. After almost five years of the resulting stress I was over the absorption fridge. When we were ordering the Solitude I was adamant that I wanted the residential fridge - Laura wasn't so sure. She was concerned that there would be times that we would need to run on propane and I had to keep reminding her that the propane mode on the fridge (and water heater, for than matter) were only good as long as there were 12 volts to power the controls, fans, etc. (we didn't have solar or a generator on the Reflection). I finally convinced her that solar, an inverter, and a couple of good LiFePO4 batteries would give us more functionality and better performance with the residential refrigerator - not to mention reduce the consumption of antacids and headache and sleeping medications. Now, even after a long travel day with stops, the fridge is always at 38, the freezer at -5, and the solar charger on float because the batteries are still at full charge. It's a move I don't think you'll regret.

Rob
                              Yes exactly, it was just good enough, but it would spike above 40 enough that I was always worried I’d have to throw my food out. It was so stressful.

Neil Citro
                              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
                              X